Nitecore TIP Winter Edition Review (V2)

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
Finally got mine about 2 days ago.

Took a bit to figure out the UI (and that's coming from a Liteflux owner) but once I did it was actually fairly intuitive. Love the mode spacing and easy access to Turbo and Ultralow. "Ultralow" is actually more like 2 lumens but that's perfect because its actually useful. The 0.04 lumen ultralow on my Thrunite TI3 is literally useless in every way except to confuse me as to whether the light is even on.

Growing quite fond of this new form-factor. The 500mah battery gives it about 2.5x the runtime of a AAA light (boost-converter vs buck/regulation efficiency, on top of 2x battery capacity of a normal Eneloop) and runtime is probably my greatest gripe with the 1xAAA format. That, and it's easier to operate than twisting a bunch to cycle modes like on basically all AAA lights (I still miss my Liteflux LF2XT!).

Beam is great, never thought a pure flood would be useful, but at 360 lumens Turbo, it still has enough punch to light up my yard. And of course, at close range the flood is unbeatable.

Considering a CRI version now... Anyone have beamshots of both versions?

Edit: Also one thing that I don't think was mentioned in the OP is that it has a battery-level report feature if you click the mode button while off! Nice to have.

Last edited:

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like this light too, have one coming from illumn, since giving one each to my girls for christmas.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like this light too, have one coming from illumn, since giving one each to my girls for christmas.

I have both the Cri and standard of these and the regular cooler version is really not that bad with tint to me.
It might be brighter but is tough to tell unless they are next to each other and not as dramatic as you might think.

Both are great to me on low and do have useful spacing of modes.

I still prefer the Cri for the much better color rendering but that might not be that importan to many either.

I have no empty white wall anywhere though to get beamshots of them.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Got mine. Sure seems like V2. Triggered lockout and no faint red light under the button when pressed during lockout. Is that the V2 test? Glad I got the CW as the tint is almost too nice to actually be CW. Nice clean no blue or green. Going to leave it in lockout for a few days to make sure there is no fast discharge of the battery etc etc etc. Will also test if it will solor charge.

Woods Walker

Good to hear, WW. Consider charging solar without a battery bank at all; should work, even with occasional cloud.

Going to charge it directly off the 16 or 14 watt solar panel charger. Will also see how it works on a few power banks. Going to leave it for a few days just to varify there is no rapid discharge issue. What was the time frame people originally had this issues within from time to lock out to dead battery.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
3 days with the old V1 but you should have the revised version. My 6 watt panel in New Mexico full sun at 7250 feet elevation charged it right up. Wanted to try variable clouds and have not yet. Looking forward to read your results.

Also, your published backpack perspective helped me make a purchase. Thanks!

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
This light only draws a maximum of 150mA at 5v, regardless of the source, from my testing. But I haven't depleted the battery past halfway yet so it could be a little higher when low.

However, even if they charge at 1C, it's not going to draw more than 2.5 watts of power through the USB port.

Woods Walker

3 days with the old V1 but you should have the revised version. My 6 watt panel in New Mexico full sun at 7250 feet elevation charged it right up. Wanted to try variable clouds and have not yet. Looking forward to read your results.

Also, your published backpack perspective helped me make a purchase. Thanks!

That's cool brother! Ok it's been around 3 days and the flashing red lights are 3 which should (however who knows) indicate no rapid discharge on the gearbest sale CW Holiday TIP. I gotta say it has one of the best CW tints going but that might have been luck of the draw. Occasionally even I win the tint lottery. It's back on lockout for a few more days just to be sure but functioned just fine. Will run a solar test in a few days. On a side note if this TIP keeps it's promise (nothing screws the pooch) I am going to say what must be on the minds of many. The SF sidekick is really... well.......

edit.

Worked again with 3 flashing lights. Going to leave it for a few more days on lockout but looks good!

Last edited:

Blackbeard

Enlightened
got my green/red today, 1 day after delivery window, but yesterday was a holiday so no harm. I do wish they would put an extra sheet of bubble wrap around these before going in bubble mailer, tin had a couple of dings, but light is fine and cant beat the price, sorry to hijack thread, but someone had asked about gb delivery times, all in all it took about 17 days

Bluefish

Newly Enlightened
The gearbest deal is still on, seems like a bargain, ordered one with expedited shipping.

Russ

Woods Walker

Still enjoying my super cheap winder edition Tip. For those who wonder the plastic clip for the 2017 version can be ordered separately and fits the older Tip.

Mine doesn't have the high drain from the lock out which was an issue with the earlier ones. But still I worried about accidental activation as added this to my USB solar charging kit items. I can't see the clip being much fun for EDC but for a pack it is prefect. No worries that somehow it will turn on or at least that's my hopes as just got it. I think this might make for a nice UL lighting kit as well because I carry a powerbank anyways.