No more nitecore for me.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol, "I ordered the wrong thing. One star! Amazon should be crucified! How dare they ship me the wrong thing when that's what I ordered!" :)

markr6

Flashaholic
Lol, "I ordered the wrong thing. One star! Amazon should be crucified! How dare they ship me the wrong thing when that's what I ordered!" :)

LOL pretty much what I was going to say in so many words. But I've ranted enough on that in other threads, so I'll just give this a 1+ :)

Enlightened
I guess it's a mix of luck, QC and maybe even the specific model you buy. I'm sure there are people that bought one of the BMWs that caught fire awhile back. They probably have it in their mind that BMW sucks and will never buy another.
I don't think it's a matter of QC but more of a matter of either poor design or sourcing of components when multiple models (EA4, EA8, EC25, plus others) all fail while exhibiting exactly the same symptoms.

markr6

Flashaholic
I don't think it's a matter of QC but more of a matter of either poor design or sourcing of components when multiple models (EA4, EA8, EC25, plus others) all fail while exhibiting exactly the same symptoms.

The ballooning switch is a good example of that. I haven't had the problem on either of mine...but I never use them anymore so I guess I don't care much.

Sherbona

Newly Enlightened
For this tier of companies, I think a problem can come up regardless of the brand, but should be much less than budget ones. I've had no problems with any of my Nitecores, SRT7(x2), Chameleons (CR6, CB6, CU6, CG6), P36, TM26, HC50, HC90, Tube and MH20. This is despite the SRT 7s and Chameleons having been dropped at speed onto pavement or cement several times from my bicycle. Given my success with Nitecores I certainly see no reason to avoid. I also have many Fenix lights too, no problems except for one (BC30, the 'burst' mode no longer works, but that alone doesn't mean I should avoid future Fenix purchases). No problems yet with my Klarus RS-20s either.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you were the only person to experience the issue, yup could overlook that as a one off.
Multiple instances not so much.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
For this tier of companies, I think a problem can come up regardless of the brand, but should be much less than budget ones. I've had no problems with any of my Nitecores, SRT7(x2), Chameleons (CR6, CB6, CU6, CG6), P36, TM26, HC50, HC90, Tube and MH20. This is despite the SRT 7s and Chameleons having been dropped at speed onto pavement or cement several times from my bicycle. Given my success with Nitecores I certainly see no reason to avoid. I also have many Fenix lights too, no problems except for one (BC30, the 'burst' mode no longer works, but that alone doesn't mean I should avoid future Fenix purchases). No problems yet with my Klarus RS-20s either.

Luck of the draw on this one. Happy they work for you as advertised. 8 years reading CPF a very nice chunk of Nitecore users have problems.

Hypothetical: It's possible to have 10 Fenix lights & 10 Nitecores. All 10 Nitecores function flawlessly while 3 of the Fenix's are lemons. While a very unlikely scenario, electronics by their very nature are prone to failure, no brand is excluded.

That said, Fenix overwhelming has the better track record for reliability over Nitecore.

For those of you that are unnerved, my sympathy. It's all part of the hobby and if your that bothered, sell it instead of driving yourself nuts as us flashaholics have a tendency to do.....:tinfoil:

LowFlux

Enlightened
Another consideration - how many flashaholics buy a flashlight, use it for a few days/weeks/months and then replace it with another? Is this site a good representation when there are people here who have more flashlights then there are hours in the night? Sure the shelf-queen Nitecore worked well for the couple of weeks they used it and then they bought a different light and it became their EDC while the Nitecore sits idly by.

I think it's hard to "take a sample" of failures from this forum for that reason.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another consideration - how many flashaholics buy a flashlight, use it for a few days/weeks/months and then replace it with another? Is this site a good representation when there are people here who have more flashlights then there are hours in the night? Sure the shelf-queen Nitecore worked well for the couple of weeks they used it and then they bought a different light and it became their EDC while the Nitecore sits idly by.

I think it's hard to "take a sample" of failures from this forum for that reason.

Excellent point. I have also pondered this as well.

Although, there are a fair bit of "users" out there.... Fenix and Nitecore are pretty popular.... enough for me to know which one I would buy.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
That said, Fenix overwhelming has the better track record for reliability over Nitecore.
Okay, okay. There's only one way to fix this. Everyone send me all of your Nitecore products. If you don't want them, don't throw them away. I'll take them.

MORE NITECORE FOR ME! :)

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll take a donated MH20 in s heartbeat too!!!
But ask me to drop $100 on it or a Fenix or Olight,
and it's going to one of the other first.

When I'm good and covered with lights, then I'll hit up NC.
Maybe couple in between, but no big dollars.

Sherbona

Newly Enlightened

Other peoples' nitecores may be shelf-queens. Mine sure aren't. The SRT 7s and Chameleon lines have been superb despite coming off my bike handlebars at speed, hitting pavement or cement sidewalks and curbs etc... The MH20 is too new but seems good so far.

Sherbona

Newly Enlightened
Luck of the draw on this one. Happy they work for you as advertised. 8 years reading CPF a very nice chunk of Nitecore users have problems.

Hypothetical: It's possible to have 10 Fenix lights & 10 Nitecores. All 10 Nitecores function flawlessly while 3 of the Fenix's are lemons. While a very unlikely scenario, electronics by their very nature are prone to failure, no brand is excluded.

That said, my perception is that Fenix overwhelming has the better track record for reliability over Nitecore.

For those of you that are unnerved, my sympathy. It's all part of the hobby and if your that bothered, sell it instead of driving yourself nuts as us flashaholics have a tendency to do.....:tinfoil:

Fixed it for you. :) (FWIW, I like my nitecore and fenix lights, both make good products albeit at non-budget prices)

LowFlux

Enlightened
Other peoples' nitecores may be shelf-queens. Mine sure aren't. The SRT 7s and Chameleon lines have been superb despite coming off my bike handlebars at speed, hitting pavement or cement sidewalks and curbs etc... The MH20 is too new but seems good so far.
I'm discussing how it might not be easy to say "I see more failures from brand X" when a lot of people here might only use their brand X flashlight until the next new light comes along.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reliability is a high priority to me.

As a newbie to this game, I researched hard, and then purchased the Nitecore P36. My intention had been to buy a Zebralight H600Fw, but as a walk-in at Illumn in San Jose, I was disappointed to learn that their stock of the Zebralight models I asked about was zero.

No problem. I had also researched a second choice, the P36. There was no chance I was going to keep the money in my pocket.

The P36 is a wonderful flashlight that hits on almost everything it was designed for.

• A great neutral-white MT-G2 emitter.
  • Ten well-spaced modes ranging between a nominal 2 and 2000 lumens.
  • A splendid user interface that uses a simple mode dial to select any output level.
  • Direct access to low, high, and strobe from off.
  • Direct access to strobe from any mode when on.
  • Good runtimes on 2x 18650. With 10 levels, you have great control over battery life.
The P36 is a fine general purpose flashlight with a wide hot spot and good flood characteristics. On its highest output levels, it also has decent throw. ANSI FL 1 ratings are 22,300cd and 300m. The only issue I have right now is its high parasitic drain. Selfbuilt measured standby current at ~2.5mA.

That leaves only one big question: reliability. I'll just have to wait to find out about that. Hope I don't have the same bad luck some of the posters here have described!

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been a Fenix customer and fan just about as long as they have been in business. My new 2015 TK35 is phenomenal the beam is perfect for a mid sized high output general purpose light kinda like how I feel the Olight SR52 has a perfect beam for a large sized general purpose high ouput LED light. Have 7 Eagletacs and love them all. Have the bigger Javelots, R40A and SR52 and have been blown away by them all. Got a couple Jetbeams which are built like tanks the new XP-L WL-S1 is also amazing. SRA40 has a beam nearly as good as the SR52. Only have 1 Sunwayman in the D40A but its been a delight to own. As for Nitecore I had a bad habit of falling for their BS marketing. I remember counting the days down till the SRT7 came out. Got it the day it became available. Something always seemed off. It wasnt as bright as most of my lights despite the 960 lumen claim. The smart ring is perfectly designed and built in my copy and is one of my most used lights over the years. Then I read the SRT7 review by the great Selfbuilt and had a lot of my questions answered. Out went an order for some 700mah Orbtronic 16340's once I got them charged them up and dropped them in the 7 to my eyes the dynamics of the beam changed totally. Now it throws further on top of being noticeably to my eyes brighter. As an experiment I ordered a couple more 16340's for my SRT6 and got the same impressive result. Selfbuilts numbers are actually pretty accurate Ive read through his lightbox set up etc. still even adding 100 lumens with RCR's on the 6 and 7 still doesnt bring them close enough to their advertised numbers for me. You advertise 960 lumens I expect either 960 OTF lumens or within + or - 12 percent.

Enlightened
Another consideration - how many flashaholics buy a flashlight, use it for a few days/weeks/months and then replace it with another? Is this site a good representation when there are people here who have more flashlights then there are hours in the night? Sure the shelf-queen Nitecore worked well for the couple of weeks they used it and then they bought a different light and it became their EDC while the Nitecore sits idly by. I think it's hard to "take a sample" of failures from this forum for that reason.
My EA8 was basically a "shelf queen" but it still died. That mirrors the story given by others.

Tesla

Enlightened
I don't think there's any statistically meaningful reason to believe Nitecore is better or worse than any comparably priced product. 58 anecdotal posts (not all of which report issues)....out of thousands of flashlights sold. I'm sure if someone posted something negative about Fenix, others would join in....pack mentality.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
NC CS has been useless to me. The chintzy cheap plastic "tactical ring" on my SRT7 broke in half a long time ago have been in contact with NC CS multiple times for a replacement only to end up never hearing from them again until I email them again. Sheer BS the SRT7 isnt cheap. Of course some have great NC CS stories but my own is pathetic. As for Fenix CS Ive only had 1 Fenix ever fail on me out of dozens of Fenix Ive owned over the years it was a beaten to death PD35 the low stopped working and the next two modes would flicker out. I contacted Fenix CS they sent me an address in New York to send the light to and quoted me 4-7 weeks for turn around time. Less than 14 days later I had my PD35 back and working perfectly no me having to pay for a single thing either way.