Noctigon Meteor M43

mhanlen

Enlightened
Couldn't tell ya, but here it is next to a Nichia Noctigon triple from mtn electronics. The Nichia is just to the left of the meteor. It's a pretty neutral white. I don't think I've read disappointment in the overall neutralness of it.

57453b534272c1935d04f1c60ffdd4a9.jpg

davpet

Newly Enlightened
This is what my double spring idea is trying to remedy.

It has nothing to do with eeking out more lumens. I am happy with the maximum output of my stock Meteor.

Interesting. I can't replicate this with my Meteor, no matter how hard I try.

fnsooner

Enlightened
Interesting. I can't replicate this with my Meteor, no matter how hard I try.

That is interesting. What batteries are you using? I bought my second one because I didn't like the tint on the XP-G2 dedome and was hoping the second one would be better about not shutting off.

stateoftheart

Enlightened
That is interesting. What batteries are you using? I bought my second one because I didn't like the tint on the XP-G2 dedome and was hoping the second one would be better about not shutting off.

It happened with mine. Its only a temporary fix but you can take the back off and pull the springs up.

fnsooner

Enlightened
Yeah, I have pulled the springs out a couple of times. It doesn't take long to settle back in though. Oh well, it isn't noticeable during normal use.

curry__muncha

Newly Enlightened
Hmm.. I wonder if they would cater to a 8x Nichia + 4x Cree setup (that way you could get a nice balance of CRI as well as a little boost in output).
Just by swapping out the 4 outer LEDs to say NW Cree S3 3D, max output can be boosted from 4450 to 5303 (853 Lumen gain)

stateoftheart

Enlightened
The crossing at the pads was more so I could make larger contacts with the solder. Weaving the copper tape allows the solder to soak in the copper tape and make the pad instead of leak through. Quite happy with how sturdy everything is now. Filed the pads flat and cleaned the flux off with alcohol.

Last edited:

davpet

Newly Enlightened

Still using the ThruNite branded NCR18650Bs. Got the post notice that my high drainers have arrived, I'll pick them up tomorrow, and test them out soon. I don't know if my light is the newer model or not. It arrived two weeks ago, Sandstone color.

stateoftheart

Enlightened
Rev 5

This is the last time it's coming apart.

I soldered the middle of the interconnected wires direct to the board. The wires between each contact has a little slack so they are about half the spring height in the middle of the wire. From there I connected to the board with only a tiny bit of copper tape. Pretty tricky getting the solder to stick to the board. Used copper tape again and soldered between the springs along the copper board which I scratched up before.

Could be an extra 15g of lead now

Now from switching from high to turbo I can see marked difference than my rev 3 / 4. Probably because this means there are now 12 direct paths to the board in parallel :)
IMG_20151101_233357_zpsqx0zz99k.jpg

Last edited:

fnsooner

Enlightened
sota, with all that bypassing of the springs, You might as well use conventional springs and eliminate the turn off problem. We need a Rev 6. Sorry.:naughty:

Seriously though, interesting results.

stateoftheart

Enlightened
Its super tight now the pads are over 1mm high and the springs sturdy as hell. Something to bear in mind is leave slack, even if you do the copper tape can wick up too much solder and become hard.

Absolutely no rattle or stomp to off. I wonder how it works exactly on all the modes then. All the modes other than turbo are a measured current to the emitters? What is turbo exactly then, if my last sentence was correct?

Last edited:

stateoftheart

Enlightened
Just read turbo is 2A per led or 8A from the driver over 4 emitters in series. So on turbo we are taking 24A 3.7V plus driver losses and other small loads (led u processor ect). So about 6.5A per 18650 cell?

Why would what I've done increase the difference between high and turbo. Would it increase the output on all levels so I'm noticing a larger difference between high and turbo because they are proportionally higher.

Last edited:

stateoftheart

Enlightened
Thought I'd mention a lot of smartphones have a light meter on the top of the main screen to dim or brighten the screen dependant on ambient light level. My note 3 has about 10 useful sensors. To access them download a free program similar to Elixer 2 and go to sensors turn it on.
With my light meter I'm getting 33,000 lux at 1 metre.

fnsooner

Enlightened
Still using the ThruNite branded NCR18650Bs. Got the post notice that my high drainers have arrived, I'll pick them up tomorrow, and test them out soon. I don't know if my light is the newer model or not. It arrived two weeks ago, Sandstone color.

I definitely would appreciate an update. Thanks.

RMM

Newly Enlightened
The newest production batch of lights (I think from the time that the tan model became available) have a slightly shorter body to help reduce this problem.

stateoftheart

Enlightened
The newest production batch of lights (I think from the time that the tan model became available) have a slightly shorter body to help reduce this problem.

Doubt it solved the problem ( I did wielding a 5mm iron ) of the light turning off if knocked, the springs are very weak for the weight of a 18650 cell. The new versions have another problem in that they cannot fit protected cells in them either