Non-conducting flashlight

tjb

Newly Enlightened
Hey folks.

I'm looking for recommendations for a decent flashlight that is made of a non-conducting material.

Sure, I could just buy some cheap plastic thing at Wally World. But I'm a little more particular. I'm an electrician, and there are times when I need to be inside a piece of live gear where I really wouldn't want to drop a brass penlight.

I'm looking for a good quality LED light. I want a 2AA or 2AAA form factor. Tail clickey. Preferably an easy UI, with few options. Just something where I click and it's on, then click and it's off. Because I will be turning it on an off all the time. A nice easy button is needed because I may be using it with insulating gloves underneath leather protective gloves, or warm gloves in cold weather.

I want good runtime, but also the option to have a really bright turbo in case I really just need a lot of light for a minute.

I want it to be very rugged. Something I can basically toss in my tool bag and drag around for months on end. Waterproof if possible. Rugged because it will get dropped.

I'm currently using a Lumintop brass IPY365, which suits me perfect. But obviously you don't want to drop it across busses in live gear! The same thing rubber dipped would be ideal. It's low setting (3 lumen for 50h) is fine for most things and lasts long on disposable cells. It is bright enough (200 lumens for 35 minutes - not quite long enough but bright enough) when needed to get the job done.

You guys are the experts. Please advise!

Thank you!

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a thought but I use a Headlamp when I need to work in a panel or when it is just too handy to be able to both see and use both hands!

Streamlight makes a few though and are pretty rugged and SF used to make the G series and I think still offers a few?
Hubbel made intrinsically safe lights as well for working in explosive environments and I am sure that there are others if you spend a few minutes searching for them.

Try a headlamp though I bet you will like it.

tjb

Newly Enlightened
I do have an olight H2r nova which I LOVE. But I can't wear a head light when I'm wearing an FR balaclava or full hard hat with face shield. And I wouldn't trust myself just magneting a light to the side of some gear and not accidentally knocking it off inside.

I use the olight ALL THE TIME on darker jobs sites. But it won't work when I'm all kitted-up in the live gear Devo suit. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah, Surefire has some plastic lights, but I like the heft and strength of metal. Maybe I'll end up with something plastic though, if nothing stronger comes up.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Headlamp + wrist light very much help. And there is also a blue electrical tape;) several layers on your Lumintop provide good protection against short circuits, although I would not recommend placing anything between busbars when they are energized.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Unless you take a standard aluminum or copper light and insulate it I doubt you will have much of a turbo from a light with a plastic outer shell. Most likely about 200 lumens off 2AA will be close to the max. They do make COB/LED lights out of plastic that typically have a magnet on them that could be perhaps taped over that could be useful. I also have a cheap 18650 COB/LED headlamp that you can detach from the harness that has a magnet that can be taped over that could be useful perhaps. I wonder if the Rayovac indestructable 2AA is non conductive enough or not. I use a headlamp on my hardhat with a face shield. The headlamp is on a strap with 2 plastic clips holding it to the helmet and works pretty good plus has a turbo of 900 lumens.

tjb

Newly Enlightened
Pelican and Streamlight look to have some possibilities. I know I'm being very picky. The Rayovac suggested is too fat. Why? Space in my tool bag is at a premium, so it's gotta slide into its little slot or else it gets rejected, if that makes sense.

Is there a reason plastic lights are restricted to lower max lumens? Is it because a metal body acts as a heat sink?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
How about a G2? 200 lumens or so with stock bezel.

My bad I see now you want AA format.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Pelican and Streamlight look to have some possibilities. I know I'm being very picky. The Rayovac suggested is too fat. Why? Space in my tool bag is at a premium, so it's gotta slide into its little slot or else it gets rejected, if that makes sense.

Is there a reason plastic lights are restricted to lower max lumens? Is it because a metal body acts as a heat sink?
Another suggestion to look at is Underwater Kinetics.

Last edited:

tjb

Newly Enlightened
Like I said, my Lumintop 2AAA is max 200 lumens. But the low is listed at 50h. So a good long low runtime (so I don't have to change batteries every day), and 200 lumens is a high enough turbo to do the job. Looking into everybody's suggestions. Turning into info overload!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
You probably won't find the low outputs/runtime that 3+ mode lights have in plastic lights more likely you will have a high and a medium mode perhaps 200 lumens and 50-75 lumens.