number of lights you bring abroad?

1DaveN

Enlightened
I think it depends a lot on where you're going and what activities you have planned. On two international trips earlier this year, I brought just my E25. However, those trips were to cities where I stayed in a hotel, and wasn't expecting to need a flashlight at all. If I planned to be in a more rural setting, or one where I was camping or otherwise spending time outdoors, I would have considered one or two more powerful lights, plus maybe a headlamp and/or my CL25R lantern.

I tend to bring an E25 when travelling, because it uses AA batteries I can get anywhere.

Welfare

Newly Enlightened
All of them... + batteries to get me through about a year. I work abroad and when I come home I normally pack at least 6. It sounds weird but I would miss them... I have a massive problem ��

Olight H15 Wave
S1
MD2
Elzetta Charlie
HDS LE 250
Hound dog.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm on vacation in Tokyo now. Brought some AAA lights with moonlight modes for waking up jet lagged. Too much light pollution to need anything more when going out at night. Brought my HDS 170N Rotary for the moonlight mode and to have something with more output if needed.

Once took 4 good lights for a long weekend in Paris. Didn't use any of them. Too much light pollution in most cities.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tain AAA for flight overseas.

Sunwayman AA (a4500) light with 6 trits in cooling fins & 5 trits in bezel for hotel nightstand duty, this is with me on all trips.

So the two above run on easy to get battereis if something happens to my rechargeables.

Then, I often go with a Solarforce host with a Vinz (German) (Hi CRI XML2) drop in with a lens for even spread of light, great for video or photos in industrial setting.

Oveready Wasp or Moddoolar for LOT O LIGHT.

I may tone it back a bit on my next trip to China, the last two years they have a sign saying they will limit the number of Li-ion batteries you carry on. Haven't had a problem yet.

In the USA I always have a Sunwayman C22Cvn - the one with the lens on the side light and a reflector on the main LED. Used the Hi CRI side light to cook steaks (cut off of the Christmas 10 lb Prime Rib - before cooking) tonight.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it depends a lot on where you're going and what activities you have planned. On two international trips earlier this year, I brought just my E25. However, those trips were to cities where I stayed in a hotel, and wasn't expecting to need a flashlight at all. If I planned to be in a more rural setting, or one where I was camping or otherwise spending time outdoors, I would have considered one or two more powerful lights, plus maybe a headlamp and/or my CL25R lantern.

I tend to bring an E25 when travelling, because it uses AA batteries I can get anywhere.

Going to the countryside to visit family. Thinking of bring zebralight 51fw, quark xp-e2 modded w. 18560 body, and a sunwayman G20C

Khun Mark

Newly Enlightened
I think 4 is a reasonable number of lights to take with you when traveling outside the U.S. On my recent trip to Northeast Thailand I took a Maratac 2xAA with lithium primaries in my carry-on bag and 2 Nitecores in my checked luggage: an EC11 and an EC4S. I also carried a Maratac AAA with lithium primaries in my travel tool kit. I used the Maratac 2xAA and the EC11 in situations where it was dark as hell and I was really glad I was carrying them with me. I never was in a situation that called for the 2100lm EC4S but it was comforting to know it was in my suitcase. Thailand is a flashaholics dreamland because it gets really, really dark at night and the power often goes out during storms. I don't rely on AA or AAA batteries in SE Asia, although it's a backup option, because the ones you buy there are crappy, and the high-quality 18650s and 18350s we buy in the U.S. are easily recharged and end up being a whole lot more practical. I also took a one-slot Nitecore I2 charger with me. These days everyone everywhere on the planet has a cell phone, which means 5V USB power outlets are ubiquitous. So don't worry about taking a 18650-based platform with you.

Suggest anyone going overseas take a 18650 or 18350 light as a EDC on your belt and keep at least one AAA-based light in your shoulder bag. Flashaholics will want at least one high-power light (over 1000lm), and a spare of some sort. When you're traveling off the beaten path, you need your best and most reliable lights. To be in a foreign country without a proper light is a flashaholics nightmare.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usually just two. My main travel light plus a tiny Arc 1xAAA UV light (to check for bed-bugs and for bad currency; also whether sun-glasses work properly and, if necessary, to be able to check other UV-marked items).

My main travel light has varied over the years. My most usual one has been a McGizmo Nichia 119 2xAA light, though often with an extra drop-in (VME Malkoff head with an M31N drop-in).

The McGizmo is very versatile with 3 levels (L-M-H) and has the most beautiful beam/tint. The color temperature is just perfect to be able to resolve colors most accurately, which is important when traveling, especially to exotic destinations where the light and unusual-to-you colors can play tricks on you. The extra head provides extra punch at twice the H level. I also want to experiment with the scout heads by Malkoff, and then maybe I'll bring one of them with the McGizmo.

But another amazingly excellent main choice has recently emerged, the Malkoff 361 drop-in, which in a 2x123A twisty form-factor provides amazing capability in a truly tiny and relatively light host.

The disadvantage is that it does not use the easy-to-find AA batteries. But it is such a long-running flashlight on its lower modes that I can probably get by with just a couple of spares.

So basically it depends on the length of my trip and the activities I plan to do, for longer trips I tend to still use the McGizmo plus extra head option, for shorter trips the 361 Malkoff drop-in twisty is a great way to go.

Last edited: