OH MAN IT'S COLD!!

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Well we had a blast of several inches of snow today with bad visibility and slippery roads and it didn't go well. We should be better at driving in snow but it's early in winter and a lot of people are just stupid. Several pileups involving 15-30 cars each just a few miles from my home. :shakehead

You can console yourself with the thought it's probably worse in Texas right now.

Ropes4u

Newly Enlightened
Minus 14 on the top
8arypa3a.jpg

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Just got back from a weekend trip to Austin for a relative's wedding. Man, it was brisk. Sure was different than the last time when all I did was sweat. At least I got some great brisket at the rehearsal dinner.

Geoff

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
68° here on the NC coast today. But last Thursday in the mountains of NC at my in-law's it was 14°...what a difference!

Ashift

Newly Enlightened
Its not -14 but it was 26F this morning taking my son to school. A chilly day on the sunny CA coast.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
The temp hit 13 degrees F last Saturday night here in Portland,OR.
(that was on Dec.7,2013.)

Brutally cold weather.

Eugene got down to -9F, two nights in a row. Only way to feel warm was to ask Tom in MN about his temps ;)

We should be better at driving in snow but it's early in winter and a lot of people are just stupid. Several pileups involving 15-30 cars each just a few miles from my home. :shakehead

Took a long walk the first day of the snow. I'm still shaking my head. Dudes racing up to intersections, then sliding through them. FWD cars with chains on the back tires, RWD trucks with chains on the front tires - both sliding every which way. People with perfectly long straight drives, pulling into the gutter first, then (struggling) with their chains.

I got back home and resolved not to go out again until the coast was clear. Day one talley: 300 crashes (in a town of 70k). :eek:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Took a long walk the first day of the snow. I'm still shaking my head. Dudes racing up to intersections, then sliding through them. FWD cars with chains on the back tires, RWD trucks with chains on the front tires - both sliding every which way. People with perfectly long straight drives, pulling into the gutter first, then (struggling) with their chains.

I got back home and resolved not to go out again until the coast was clear. Day one talley: 300 crashes (in a town of 70k). :eek:

The roads freeze over in the Dallas/Fort Worth area roughly twice a year, and I have driven on said roads almost every time (job does not afford me the luxury of sitting it out since I "support critical infrastructure"). As such, I have developed some modicum of experience driving on ice that the locals refuse to develop out of this bizarre puckering white-knuckle fear of the stuff. Perhaps it's cultural...

The rules are pretty simple. Give everything at least 4x as much time - braking, accelerating, drive times. Apply minimal corrective action to slippage if truly necessary. Commit to actions, and make sure they're the right actions. Erase your bad habits in traffic - tailgating, late braking, aggressive lane changes, high-performance turns - they'll cause an accident.

Of course, I do fun stuff too (when safe to do so) , like drift corners (RWD), e-brake corners (FWD), and obligatory donuts / suspension unsettling reverse in vacant parking lots. I found that with judicious application of the e-brake, my FWD daily driver can rotate about its own midpoint. I also determined that 4WD mode on the truck offers modest handling improvements in turns (at the expense of handling in general thanks to fixed front differential).

To be fair, the Dallas/Fort Worth area is largely flat with most changes in elevation being highway overpasses/bridges, so the hazards are fewer than in regions not situated on the prairie.

Capolini

Banned
Good thing I stocked up on lithium batteries ;)...here is SE Wisconsin it's -9F, with a wind chill of -27F....BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

How cold is it where you live?

That is cold!! Right now in Phila. area it is balmy at 52F. The coldest temp. I remember around here was -7F

However, I go to Lake Placid,New York a lot with my Siberian Husky[sometimes bring the girlfriend!]. Last January 3rd [2013] when we left it was -19F air temp. I have no idea what the chill factor was because I was heading home! That was the coldest temperature I was ever in! The night prior it was -7 at about 6 PM when I took Capo for an hour hike in the Adirondacks! Very refreshing and invigorating weather!!!

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
2009_Dec_11
can_temp_obs.jpg

2008_Jan_15 is on post 66 this thread.

That is what I am talking about!! I am a bit insane but I love extreme cold,much better than extreme heat along with that damn humidity.:clap::thumbsup:

My Siberian and I will come up to see you,,,,,,I will visit Lake Placid[-19 last time I was there on 1.3.2013] and then say hi to SB on the way up to the North Pole!! lol!:eek:;)

välineurheilija

Enlightened
About 35F in southern Finland very very warm for this time of year :) waiting when the winter starts for real.

Sent from a mobile telephone

Capolini

Banned
And remember whenever you feel cold, to check the weather in Vostok..

Holy smokes!! Awesome!! lol! I bookmarked that! Capo[My Siberian Husky and I are taking the first plane and whatever else we need to get to "Vostock"! Actually the only thing I need is about 7 more Siberian Husky's, VERY, VERY warm clothing, Supplies and a half Dozen Reliable torches/batteries and chargers!

Capolini

Banned
11484017113_130801e1dc_z.jpg

This is the boss "Capo". He is responsible for turning me onto a FLASHAHOLIC!!!

He loves all my torches, especially the TK75 where I can spot Deer after he gets their scent!!

HE ABSOLUTELY LOVES SNOW AND AS COLD AS IT CAN GET!!!

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its not that cold (0°C 32°F) but we have freezing rain all night.
My balcony looks like a skating rink.
Will be stuck indoors for a while.

At least I still have power. Some 250,000 are without power in the Greater Toronto area. It happened on the night of National Flashlight Day!

Updates:
95,000 People Without Power In The Northeast US Due To Ice Storm south of the border

Toronto Hydro's first priority is to restore power to 2 hospitals and the water treatment plant.

2013dec22temp_zps2cddbe2f.jpg

Last edited:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in chilly Jerusalem on vacation. Still piles of snow and broken tree branches from the monster storm they had more than a week ago. Doesn't matter if you are in the Christian, Muslim or Jewish quarter - they're all waiting for G-d to melt the snow. Brisk with sunny skies during the day and cold at night.