Oh The Irony - Alkaleak

Toulouse42

Enlightened
I use a ZTS Multi Battery Tester to check all my primary batteries. Needless to say that's to avoid the usual nasties associated with primary batteries. So imagine my surprise today to discover that one of the AAA batteries in the tester had leaked! Luckily no harm done as I caught it in time and a bit of vinegar soon sorted out the minimal leakage. The batteries were well in date and the other 3 were all fine. It just goes to prove that no matter how careful we are to use matched batteries, there's always one. So do I now need a tester to test my tester?

Toulouse42

Enlightened
In this case it takes 4 x AAA batteries and I have read that some sensitive equipment that might be fine at 6 volts (4 x 1.5) might not be so happy at 6.8 volts (4 x 1.7). I didn't want to chance it as getting the ZTS wasn't easy in the first place.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I use a ZTS Multi Battery Tester to check all my primary batteries. Needless to say that's to avoid the usual nasties associated with primary batteries. So imagine my surprise today to discover that one of the AAA batteries in the tester had leaked! Luckily no harm done as I caught it in time and a bit of vinegar soon sorted out the minimal leakage. The batteries were well in date and the other 3 were all fine. It just goes to prove that no matter how careful we are to use matched batteries, there's always one. So do I now need a tester to test my tester?
No, but if one battery leaked in a set I wouldn't think the other 3 are "fine" as chances they share the same issue. I would consider using nimh in it or L92s if it can handle the higher voltage. It may be you could use 3xL92s and a spacer in the meter. You simply cannot avoid leaks if you use alkaleaks, you can only reduce the damage if you check devices often and unless you use the meter often I would consider putting the batteries in a bag and storing them beside it instead of inside of it so if they leak it is contained.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
They should make rechargeable lemon and orange batteries..... and call them fruitloops
If it wasn't copyrighted they probably would've.
sonic-eneloop-tropical-colors-2000-mah-r6aa.5118.0.jpg

Toulouse42

Enlightened
Hi all. When I said the others were "fine" I meant that they tested OK at 80% but I still threw them out. Thanks for the advice.

Also, if the ZTS can use NiMh or Lithiums, I shall do that. I've just had it so long that my habit is to feed it Alkaleaks.