• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Okluma TinyDC Aluminum - Video Overview

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I may have won the lotto for the nickel bronze. I haven't heard from Jeff yet but I have a good feeling about this.

emoticon_angel_22756579_164x200.jpg

jso902

Enlightened
I had both. Sold the aluminum. Trying to slim down the collection and needed funds.
Thank you for sharing this item. I missed three of Jeff's sales. And your upgrade is quite the nice addition.

I can't tell which one I like to edc more. Custom Tinidc or modified haiku.

gunga

Flashaholic
I think the other thing to remember is that the TinyDC is quite moddable. The Dr Jones H17F driver is crazy programmable (though any common 17mm driver will fit) and you can pick practically any LED you want (with 3.5mm footprint) on it. You can change it every time you find something new or better.

I really appreciate lights that are truly future proof.

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
gunga, does the TinyDC currently allows user to change the level/sequence/memory via programming?

gunga

Flashaholic
That is correct. The stock driver is not programmable. I was just saying that any 17mm driver will fit. The H17F is just one of the most powerful ones. Sorry to be misleading!

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the H17f in mine. The ability to have two "groups" and set them however I like, makes this beauty of a light into my EDC light- no safe queen here!

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the other thing to remember is that the TinyDC is quite moddable. The Dr Jones H17F driver is crazy programmable (though any common 17mm driver will fit) and you can pick practically any LED you want (with 3.5mm footprint) on it. You can change it every time you find something new or better.

I really appreciate lights that are truly future proof.

This is my internal debate. Do I invest in lights like HDS and Boss because of how awesome they are, or focus on what I call "host makers" like Sinner, Okluma etc? it's a trade off between amazing proprietary internals or off the shelf guts for forward compatibility.

gunga

Flashaholic
This is cpf. Buy both. :)

The hds rotary is truly unique. Worth having. It will make a bit more sense (size wise) when they come out with an 18350 tube. It's rather huge for its battery type.

I'm waiting to check out a boss. I'm still not sure how it's better than say an Okluma TinyDC with an H17F driver. The H17F is actually more flexible, allowing more modes, etc. But it's more clumsy to program.

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast

The hds rotary is truly unique. Worth having. It will make a bit more sense (size wise) when they come out with an 18350 tube. It's rather huge for its battery type.

I'm waiting to check out a boss. I'm still not sure how it's better than say an Okluma TinyDC with an H17F driver. The H17F is actually more flexible, allowing more modes, etc. But it's more clumsy to program.

I have both! Well more than both... I should really post pics here one day.

The HDS with 18650 tube is excellent, I prefer it in 250lm for the nice throw.

Boss is great, but it's real attraction is the Lux-RC. I don't see a point in having that driver in more than one light, in essence it's just a 4 mode light with programmable brightness. HDS ui kicks its butt, my Sigma will be H17F, hopefully I won't have to wait to long.

I'm unsure what driver I'd want in my Okluma when I end up getting it. Toykeepers new crescendo is looking real nice.

archimedes

Flashaholic

A few possible reasons ...

● "bounce" glare reduction feature (pro or con)

● programming via web (pro or con)

● secondary low color output (for those who find this useful)