Old Streamlight TL-3 - Carely H1499's still around?

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Everyone,

I have a TL-3 collecting dust in my drawer. If memory serves the H1499 could be dropped in along with a few 17500's for some decent gain.

Are these bulbs still available?

If not is there an equivalent bulb? Or maybe some other mod that I should consider?

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carley sells 1499 but minimum purchase is $50

You may consider about
2x18650 host.
Much longer (3 times) run time, less stress for cells, less frequent recharge longer battery life and higher performance.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a bad idea fivemega. Looks like the bodies are $80 and bulbs are available (with the body) for $8. Any chance of a CPF old-timer discount? :)

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a bad idea fivemega. Looks like the bodies are $80 and bulbs are available (with the body) for $8. Any chance of a CPF old-timer discount? :)
That price belongs to year 2007 and still same price. Don't you consider it as discount price?
Making such a custom made these days will cost considerably higher.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
That price belongs to year 2007 and still same price. Don't you consider it as discount price?
Making such a custom made these days will cost considerably higher.

Very fair price, I was attempting to be humorous. This was my first post here in almost 2.5 years and I'm excited to be back!

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't resist replying to a H1499 thread. LOVE the little things (batwings and all)! :candle:

Are these bulbs still available?
Quite unfortunately, they are not... at least not with the custom Halogen fill that gave them the "H" designation. Litho123 had some runs of these made, and sold out even before he disappeared from the scene.

Not to be a tease, but I have a small handful of these bulbs, and they are not going ANYWHERE except in my Baby Magzilla!

The reason for the high pressure Halogen was to reduce the amount of "blackening", or "silvering" of the interior bulb glass that is actually tungsten vapor from the decaying filament being deposited, thereby reducing output. IIRC, when hot enough, the "Halogen cycle" re-deposits that vapor back onto the filament instead of the glass, preserving output, and possibly extending lifetime.

As Fivemega points out, the non-H 1499's are available for a very low MOQ. All other characteristics of the bulb are the same as Litho's.

Wouldn't mind a few more of these gems, and suddenly find myself curious as to the MOQ for an H run. Been having a bout of bulb fever lately over at the MP, and am happy to spread it around further. :devil:

Last edited: