Older Eneloops maintenance with C9000

Razorhog

Newly Enlightened
I have a bunch of AA Eneloops I bought in late '10 early '11. They are HR-3UTG 2000mAh and some HR-3UTGA 1900mAh. I've always just stuck them in the MH-C9000 charger and let it do its thing. I didn't do a break in cycle. It seems like some or all of the batteries are losing capacity. I'm a little overwhelmed when reading about battery maintenance but I want to learn - I just don't want to mess them up or create a dangerous situation. A couple questions:
1) Should I do something differently other than sticking them in and letting them charge?
2) Is there something the charger will do to help restore capacity?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a bunch of AA Eneloops I bought in late '10 early '11. They are HR-3UTG 2000mAh and some HR-3UTGA 1900mAh. I've always just stuck them in the MH-C9000 charger and let it do its thing. I didn't do a break in cycle. It seems like some or all of the batteries are losing capacity. I'm a little overwhelmed when reading about battery maintenance but I want to learn - I just don't want to mess them up or create a dangerous situation. A couple questions:
1) Should I do something differently other than sticking them in and letting them charge?
2) Is there something the charger will do to help restore capacity?

Unlike lithium-ion batteries, you can't really create a "dangerous situtation" with NiMH batteries. However, you can damage them, especially with bad chargers. The C9000 is a smart charger, so it should handle charging pretty well. Just make sure to remove the cells when they're done, so they don't get trickle-charged (which is bad for Eneloops).

You could run them through a break-in cycle to see if that restores some capacity, though it normally isn't needed with low-self-discharge cells like Eneloops. Doesn't hurt to do it occasionally, though.

Razorhog

Newly Enlightened
Unlike lithium-ion batteries, you can't really create a "dangerous situtation" with NiMH batteries. However, you can damage them, especially with bad chargers. The C9000 is a smart charger, so it should handle charging pretty well. Just make sure to remove the cells when they're done, so they don't get trickle-charged (which is bad for Eneloops).

You could run them through a break-in cycle to see if that restores some capacity, though it normally isn't needed with low-self-discharge cells like Eneloops. Doesn't hurt to do it occasionally, though.

Thanks for the reply. After reading some more, I've decided not to worry too much about the eneloops. Running the "analyze refresh" on some of them now, but for the most part I'll just use them as I have been.

I'm seriously considering buying a Fenix UC35 soon, and 18650's are a different story as far as being potentially dangerous. Doing research on them now, and whether or not to buy a charger (the UC35 has a micro USB port to charge the battery). I'd like to have a spare 18650.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply. After reading some more, I've decided not to worry too much about the eneloops. Running the "analyze refresh" on some of them now, but for the most part I'll just use them as I have been.

I'm seriously considering buying a Fenix UC35 soon, and 18650's are a different story as far as being potentially dangerous. Doing research on them now, and whether or not to buy a charger (the UC35 has a micro USB port to charge the battery). I'd like to have a spare 18650.

Just keep researching about them, avoid buying cheap chinese brands (especially from Ebay), get a multimeter and a good charger and you should be ok. Even after doing your research i'd search li-ion safety on here and feel free to ask any questions on CPF. Li-ions are potentially dangerous but if you treat them well they won't become a hazard.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Around once a year on my older ones I'll do a discharge cycle, then do the break-in charge. Mine all still measure around 1800-1900 capacity (2006 vintage)