• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Olight L5 Pro: When is it coming?

1c3d0g

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! Now that that's out of the way, when will you release them? And do they accept aftermarket 26650 batteries?

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which one has the magnetic recharger docking station?
The Olight R50 Pro.

He is actually spot on with the 3200 lumens, 4500mAh 26650, and a magnetic charging base. We are looking at a release at the end of the month.
Here we are, at the end of the next month. The world does not yet have the Olight R50 Pro. I do not yet have the Olight R50 Pro. The world may be able to make it one more month without the Olight R50 Pro. But I can't. I have 1,600 lumens coming from the MMU-X3. But I don't have 3,200 lumens coming from a flashlight that has the head diameter and body diameter of the Olight R50 Pro. I have 7,400 lumens coming from the M43. But I don't have 3,200 lumens coming from a flashlight that has the head diameter and body diameter of the Olight R50 Pro. I have flashlights that are in the same size classification of the R50 Pro, but with only a fraction of the lumens coming out of them. I have lights that have similar lumen output as the R50 Pro, but they are a lot larger and heavier than the R50 Pro.

Last edited:

DMS1970

Enlightened
The Olight R50 Pro.

Here we are, at the end of the next month. The world does not yet have the Olight R50 Pro. I do not yet have the Olight R50 Pro. The world may be able to make it one more month without the Olight R50 Pro. But I can't. I have 1,600 lumens coming from the MMU-X3. But I don't have 3,200 lumens coming from a flashlight that has the head diameter and body diameter of the Olight R50 Pro. I have 7,400 lumens coming from the M43. But I don't have 3,200 lumens coming from a flashlight that has the head diameter and body diameter of the Olight R50 Pro. I have flashlights that are in the same size classification of the R50 Pro, but with only a fraction of the lumens coming out of them. I have lights that have similar lumen output as the R50 Pro, but they are a lot larger and heavier than the R50 Pro.

Agreed. This light is going to replace SEVERAL in my collection. My only issue is 26650 technology. Based on the volume compared to a 18650, these cells should be capable of +7000Mah rating. With a 4000Mah 18650 on the horizon, what would be the advantage of the 26650 then?

Last edited:

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed. This light is going to replace SEVERAL in my collection. My only issue is 26650 technology. Based on the volume compared to a 18650, these cells should be capable of +7000Mah rating. With a 4000Mah 18650 on the horizon, what would be the advantage of the 26650 then?

As mentioned here previously, Tesla will be using this size in their battery packs. Once you have a 26650 light, the runtime will only improve as the cells become better. There's a larger upside than 18650.

DMS1970

Enlightened
As mentioned here previously, Tesla will be using this size in their battery packs. Once you have a 26650 light, the runtime will only improve as the cells become better. There's a larger upside than 18650.

Are you saying that Tesla is going to use 26650? I thought 18650 is the go to for them, with like 8000 in a battery pack for a car.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
...what would be the advantage of the 26650 then?

IMHO, as far as mAh battery ratings go (energy storage capacity), this is less of a priority for the R50 Pro because:

1) With the higher load that the XHP70 LED will put on the battery, there will be less voltage and current 'sagging' with the 26650 when in turbo mode. I think this is the primary reason for using the 26650 over the 18650 in this particular light.

For example, some hi-output lights on the market today will have an initial turn-on turbo OTF lumen rating, followed by an OTF lumen rating at 30 seconds AFTER turn on - the 30 second OTF rating is substantially lower due to battery sag.

2) With the R50 Pro recharger dock, recharging will be much more convenient - especially for LEO's who will probably store their light in the dock when the light is not in use. This means the battery will be fully charged most of the time.

3) A lesser reason is that both 26650 and 18650 are the same length, thus negating some of the size advantage of the 18650. The light is still the same length with either battery. The R50 Pro is going to be about 5.2 inches long, which is the same length as most 18650 lights, if not shorter.

Last edited:

1c3d0g

Newly Enlightened
Indeed they are (4900mAh 26650 cells):

http://venturebeat.com/2016/05/18/tesla-needs-more-batteries-to-meet-model-3-demand/

Also, Orbtronic already has 5200mAh 26650 batteries available for purchase (I have one coming my way shortly). So this means we haven't reached the ceiling yet of what's possible with 26650 cells. Since Tesla is also heavily invested in this (for them "new") battery format, it means there's going to be massive increases in development of this particular battery. Not to burst anyone's bubble, as I'm no battery expert by any means, but there's not much more that can be extracted from the 18560 cells. No matter how you look at it, there's going to be exciting times for us in the near future.

LessDark

Enlightened
Are they having problems reaching the 3200 lumen mark or what's taking so long time?

LessDark

Enlightened
I would rather wait for them to get it right the first time, than to rush out an inferior product.
So is it done yet???? ;)

Yes of course, I agree.
I was just wondering, since Acebeam "only" achieved 2600 lm in the same setup...?
Do you think this light will require a high drain 26650?

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes of course, I agree.
I was just wondering, since Acebeam "only" achieved 2600 lm in the same setup...?
Do you think this light will require a high drain 26650?
My guess is "yes."
I have my eye on Vappower IMR26650 4200mAh (green). This cell delivered the highest amps of HKJ's tests.

DMS1970

Enlightened
Couple questions:

1) aside from the LED difference, will swapping the end cap from a Pro to a non Pro change the charging method?

2) will either model be available with the blue bezel (pro or non pro)? I prefer the blue to stainless... The reviews look like stainless model, some other sites are advertising with pics showing blue bezel (ebay, china seller)

Last edited:

Wendee

Enlightened
Couple questions:

1) aside from the LED difference, will swapping the end cap from a Pro to a non Pro change the charging method?

2) will either model be available with the blue bezel (pro or non pro)? I prefer the blue to stainless... The reviews look like stainless model, some other sites are advertising with pics showing blue bezel (ebay, china seller)

The L5 Pro was the name of the prototype for the R50 pro. Only two new models will be released.

So the R50 is the L5? I see the R50 on eBay but not on the Olight website. Will it be available to order on Olightworld.com soon? :)

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess they are trying to settle thermal issues with the Pro version. LED output and battery are not narrow points.

Wendee

Enlightened
The "L5 Pro" became the "R50 Pro" in production. It is different than the plain "R50."

Oh, thanks MAD777. I got confused between L5/R50, Pro/Not pro names. So the R50 Pro will be 3200 lumens and I wouldn't have to use multi-18650's (which scares me). This sounds so great! I wonder what the price will be.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am guessing it will be around USD $175.00 I do not think that is too high, it will be well worth it, and worth the wait, too...... if it is going to ever be produced and released. This is a dream item, I hope not to good to be true.

He is actually spot on with the 3200 lumens, 4500mAh 26650, and a magnetic charging base. We are looking at a release at the end of the month.

Well, anyway, today I decided to contact olightworld.com and ask if this eagerly anticipated item is ever going to be produced and released, and when.

There is a category drop down box to select the type of inquiry, and "When?" questions is not included in the drop down list, so I selected another that is not even distantly related.

I contacted the friendly folks at Going Gear a few days ago to ask the same question, and they told me that they can not list this item for pre-order until they get the OK from Olight, and also they (at Going Gear) have no information from Olight as to when that will happen.

Anywho, when I get a reply, I will share the info in this aptly titled topic thread.

Latest posts