Olight M21 first impression

munchs

Newly Enlightened
Just got one!

The low mode is pretty low. I liked it only until I discovered it's rated 20 lumens for 30 hours :eek: It's around 2 lumens to my eyes...:confused:

Did anybody do a runtime test of its low mode? As I understand it, it should last more than 200hours in that brightness...

sfca

Enlightened
For Tom and those who have both lights, which one of the M21 or M20 has the most blinding effect?

I'm not only asking about direct center, but if the subject was standing off-center of the hotspot.

Again, on the sides of the hotspot, M21's hotspot being bigger, is the lux greater then the M20's smaller hotspot?

Geban

Newly Enlightened
Just got my M21 today, and yes without any doubt it´s a great light. :D
It will be perfect when I work at my security job, as I have to check a lot of buildings with large dark rooms.

But I´ll buy the M20 again (Since I gave mine away), to use when I´m on auxiliary police duty.
I think I´ll have better use of some more throw as I´ll be working most of the time outdors.

Last edited:

munchs

Newly Enlightened
I did a run time test on low with an ultrafire RCR123.

I really like this light, but I have to say its runtime on low considering its output, I think, is defective... I read Selfbuilt's review on M20 and I remember he said M20 runtime on low was 3.5days on an rcr. :thumbsup:

Considering M21's lower output on low mode, it's logical that it should last at least 4 days then... but to my surprise, the light went out after about 7 hours...:sigh: yes! Olight stated its 30 hours(on an 18650) on 20 lumens, but it's no way near 20 lumens...

Olight must fix this...

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's most likely that what you're experiencing is a factor of the batteries used. It seems likely the over discharge protection is kicking in to shut off current flow.

I don't know how you calculate 4 days but Olight runtimes are never on RCR123A - they're on primary CR123A or 18650's.

The M21 is a completely different circuit to the M20 - I'm not confident that relevant comparisons can be made.

munchs

Newly Enlightened
I really like this light. I'll keep it for sure despite all the complaints I narrated.:)
I'm no expert on led+circuit chemistry... what I know is lower brightness means longer runtime. M21's low output is really low and I really like it, but 30 hours on that brightness...that I'm not sure. Perhaps it's how sst-50 is...:thinking:

Neo9710

Newly Enlightened
Wow this is becoming a really hard choice.

As a cop most of the time I am working in areas that have street lights etc, but its when there is no light that will be very important also such as searching building etc at night when there are no lights. I like the fact that the T20C2 is designed to go head down in the case, but I'm concerned about accidentally activating the strobe mode all the time.

I use mine on patrol every day. Its an AWESOME light. Im actually thinking about buying the M21 and putting my M20 on my patrol rifle...

munchs

Newly Enlightened
For anyone who's got some negative impressions due to my post regarding M21's low output and run time, it turned out mine was defective!!... a portion of the led was damaged :crazy:

I got it replaced by the seller today, and now it's low is not that low anymore :D It seems pretty close to 20 lumens now, which makes 30 hours runtime more understandable. I'd have liked a bit lower output and longer runtime, but I like it anyway as is.

It's a great light!

MaximusOrilius

Newly Enlightened
I like the light, its bright but definitely not a thrower. I use it for work, walking in dark rooms, and working in ceilings, under desks. So this light is perfect for me. Anyone that wants a flashlight that throws more than a 100 feet, look at the m20 or m30.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
I like the light, its bright but definitely not a thrower. I use it for work, walking in dark rooms, and working in ceilings, under desks. So this light is perfect for me. Anyone that wants a flashlight that throws more than a 100 feet, look at the m20 or m30.

Your kidding right? 30 metres? There is something really wrong with your light. I have no problems lighting up objects that are beyond 150 feet. Going by the intensity of the beam, I have no doubt about the hotspot reaching 250 feet easily.

MaximusOrilius

Newly Enlightened
Yah, you were right, my light was on medium not high.

Does anyone know how many hertz the strobe runs at?

The M30 runs at 13hertz. The traffic signals work from 10-14hertz depending on priority, 10 being low priority 14 being highst priority. I wonder if the M21 has enough power and throw to trip it.
Nevermind, i found my answer in selfbuilts review of the m21, it runs at 9.5htz.

I wonder if that frequency can be adjusted.

Last edited:

Edog006

Newly Enlightened
First of all great review.. I didn't realize the priority nor the ability of the M30 to trip traffic lights.. I will certainly try this in a safe remote location to see if it works.

I was thinking about buying a SST-50, and I'm sure I will soon. But I have been out of the buyers market for the last year and wow things have come a long way. At this point I plan on waiting until spring when new lights are rolled out and surely a new emitter will eclipse what seems possible currently..

"All good things come to those who wait"
1872 V. Fane Tout vient à qui sait Attendre in From Dawn to Noon ii. 85]

Tek3

Newly Enlightened
Great review, man. Thanks for taking the time to do this for us. Definitely hoping to add this light to my collection ASAP.

tcmault

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to chime back in and say my M21 is still going strong. I have found that it makes a great abandoned mine light. While driving around CO and UT you tend to find a bunch. The wide beam and ok throw really lights them up. Usually, the M21 puts out enough light that you see the back of the test hole, or where the ceiling has collapsed.

lswindell4

Newly Enlightened
Great review! I just recieved my M21 today, just in time for trick-or-treating! My kit I am happy to say also included a white diffuser as well. Your review of the runtime between the CR123A's, which I use with my Surefire D2 and Fentix TK 35, and the 18650's has made up my mind about my next orderr!! Time for a 18650 charger and batteries!

arnstein

Newly Enlightened
This is an excellent flashlight in most respects. My M21 has a really ugly green tint though. It is bad enough to make me wish that I had not bought the light.

lswindell4

Newly Enlightened
I am surprised at the amount of green tint you reference. I also have an Olight S10 Baton, and older Surefire D2 with updated drop in and a Fenix TK 35. While using the light last night for several hours I didn't notice that amount of green tint, even compared with my other lights. Perhaps you have a defective reflector?