Olight M23 Javelot: XP-L (customized), 1020 lumens, 436 meters, (beam)shots, compare

kj75

Enlightened
The Olight M23 Javelot is a compact thrower, powered by one 18650 or two CR123A cells and suited for self-defense, law enforcement security. Interesting at this light is that it uses a customized XP-L led. In this review we'll have a closer look at this pocket-thrower, and will compare it also to some other lights in the same class.

Olight M23 Javelot, compact pocket-thrower
2pslz68.jpg

ideal for security, law enforcement and self-defense
xpwyt3.jpg

powered by a customized XP-L led
2qjdo8y.jpg

compact, but impressive throw
2ds4f35.jpg

Let's have a look at the manufacturer specs first:

· Customized Cree XP-L LED with a maximum output of 1020 lumens
· Beam Distance: 436 Meters
· Shockproof body and enhanced conductivity tail cap
· Solid stainless steel bezel
· 3 brightness levels plus a strobe mode: When the light is on, the high mode at 1020lm (5 minutes) ramps down by 60% of the initial output
· Built in thermal management system that limits the high output of 1020 lumens to 5 minutes and then gradually ramps down from the high output by 60% after 3 minutes of constant use
· Multi-function tail cap: Half press for instant on, double half press the tail switch to reach the highest brightness level. Triple half press the tail switch for strobe mode and full press for constant on.
· Anti-scratch type III hard anodizing aluminum body
· Heat sink rings on the head for efficient heat dissipation
· Removeable retainer ring for better grip on the light with a hole for a lanyard
· There is 99% light transmittance rate through the tempered glass lens that has two-sided anti-reflective coating
· Reverse polarity protection to prevent improper battery installation
· IPX water-proof capability
· Lens: Tempering glass with anti-reflective coating
· Dimensions: 5.71in / 145 mm (Length), 1.61in / 41mm (Bezel Diameter), 5.36oz / 152g (Weight excluding batteries)
· Body Material: Type-III hard anodized aluminum
· Batteries: 2 x CR123A or 1 x 18650

And the output specs:

qywd4l.jpg

Unboxing:

The M23 Javelot comes also in the well-known Olight-case. I really love this packages! It's easy to store the light when not used, has attractive looks and also handy while carrying. All specifications and details are mentioned at the stickers at the box, and inside we find protecting foam with cut-outs to organize the light and the accessories. Almost all we need is included, except cells. Olight delivers the M23 Javelot also in a kit-version, including cells and a charger. Again, a nice Olight-package here!

nice carrying and storage-case
1zfuesl.jpg

inside: M23, holster, diffusor, lanyard, CR123A adaptor, spare o-rings, manual and leaflet
2dbkljl.jpg

Impressions:

First impression: A typical "self-defense-light". Aggressive looks and feels (also of the bezel), a bit heavy feels, but excellent build-quality and finishing. The M23 has good grip, steady tail- and headstanding and a very good anti-roll design. Anodizing job is well done, the laser-engraving looks ok. It has a smooth, deep reflector and a clean lens. The M23 has a customized XP-L led, as far as I know, this is the generation between the XP-L dedomed and the XP-L HI. The led in my sample product was little off center and has some solder rests around. I think, the production batches won't have this. Overall, I can tell this is again a real Olight: this means a durable product this is excellent built and will last for years. Please scroll down for more impressions by looking at the pictures!

a bit aggressive looks
29xcdhg.jpg

but nice proportions
3090ewy.jpg

steady standing
331lts3.jpg

good grip, easy to handle with
246je6s.jpg

also steady tailstanding, good point!
zofme.jpg

the M23 Javelot in three parts including recommended cell
2il0nxi.jpg

tactical ring and long clip
260d8gj.jpg

a look inside the light's head
33njbl5.jpg

and a look into the tailcap
35l9naf.jpg

a clean reflector but solder rests around the XP-L (customized) led
2r5ds41.jpg

good job on anodizing
qy7fyc.jpg

deep cooling fins because this kind of lights will get hot in short time
nx3ka1.jpg

engraving well done
21nkrbq.jpg

hidden in the holster, except the lights' tail
a17lvl.jpg

with added-on lanyard
vaps8.jpg

handy: a silicone diffusor
2uejk8k.jpg

that can turn the M23 into a floodlight
5y611.jpg

three output modes and a lot of throw
5ouucn.jpg

some pictures in the forest here
30lorcy.jpg

2ylp83l.jpg

jsm41w.jpg

o02hjq.jpg

k4ys84.jpg

qwylci.jpg

awyh60.jpg

User interface:

I never had a light before that has this interface, so I had to get used to it… Half press the tailswitch for momentary-on or click for constant on and select the desired mode by (slightly) twisting the head back and forth. The last used mode will be memorized. I can say, the interface works without faults, but it's not my favorite because you need two hands to control the light. Luckily, different modes can be controlled by one hand: Olight has built-in some instant modes. Two quick half presses will give instant-high, three quick half-presses will bring instant-strobe. Hold the button for momentary after you selected this modes, or click for constant on. I'm happy that the M23 has this modes too, otherwise it wouldn't be easy to control this light.

Modes:

The M23 Javelot has three normal modes, in order of LOW – MID – HIGH. Also two special modes here: INSTANT-HIGH and INSTANT-STROBE. As said earlier, the light has MOMENTARY too. You can lock-out the light by losing the tailcap a bit. The modes are well-spaced for a "three-mode-light" that is designed for searching and police. Adding on the diffusor will decrease the output and give "lower modes".

Size comparison:

The M23 Javelot shown here side-by-side to some other 1 x 18650 throwers: the Fenix TK32 and the Klarus RS20. It shows the compact size of the M23.

18650 cell, Olight M23 Javelot, Fenix TK32 and Klarus RS20
11htkhy.jpg

Olight M23 Javelot, Fenix TK32 and Klarus RS20
2u6zev7.jpg

reverse: Olight M23 Javelot, Fenix TK32 and Klarus RS20
hs7ubl.jpg

a zoom-in to the heads: XM-L2 (U2) against XP-L (customized) at the right
2mo8kdx.jpg

the tails: Klarus RS20, Fenix TK32 and Olight M23 Javelot
e6w28g.jpg

Beamprofile:

The M23 has a "throwy" profile, but not that much than, for example, the M3XS-UT Javelot. This light has a bigger hotspot and a clear corona. Therefore it brings a usable beam because it's a bit "mixed". If needed, you can add on the delivered diffusor to get a floody beam that can be used indoors or for map reading. Please scroll down for wallshots that show the difference between both profiles.

Tint:

Compared to tint of the M3XS-UT Javelot, this one is more neutral / white. But it is still greenish. Later, by looking at the outdoor beamshots, you will better see the difference.

ygpj.jpg

Beamshots:

As, usual, we will start here by projecting the light at a white wall. First the three output modes, followed by a GIF.

camera settings: ISO 100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 1/125 sec, 35mm
10mjtox.jpg

1494ach.jpg

2qid5ix.jpg

2zswh1z.jpg

ejg4lf.jpg

w6ytqt.jpg

diffused and spot animated
2gt9lye.jpg

And now, going outside. Again, we start by showing the three output modes. After that, a GIF-picture. Followed by a shoot-out to some competitors.

camera settings: ISO 100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 4 sec, 35mm
1znmww6.jpg

34xqlih.jpg

29ohp9x.jpg

animation
28lrjhg.jpg

Some comparison shots against the Fenix and the Klarus here. Clear to see here, the Klarus has less throw, but also a usable beam.

the Olight M23 Javelot against the Fenix TK32
5nnrdl.jpg

the Olight M23 Javelot against the Klarus RS20
qxm7m8.jpg

Conclusion:

The M23 is an impressive pocket-thrower that is excellent built and finished. It has its own interface (that I personally should change somewhere), and is easy to take with you in your coat pocket. Also thanks to the delivered diffusor the M23 has a lot of usable mode, although a real low mode is missing. But, to be honest, that's not what this light is made for. The customized XP-L has still a greenish tint, but the next generation XP-L HI has much better tint. Overall, I like this Olight too, and will carry this pocket thrower often in the upcoming winter-season!

Thanks to Olightworld and Adola for providing me this sample!

Last edited:

cannedheat3000

Newly Enlightened
Nice review, I really think that diffuser is neat. Great pictures, thanks for all the info!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
outstanding review! What do they mean by customized XP-L though? Is it an HI or an actual de domed XP-L HD? Hmmm

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
outstanding review! What do they mean by customized XP-L though? Is it an HI or an actual de domed XP-L HD? Hmmm

Dedomed XPL with a clear seal.
There might be some with actual XP-L HI floating out there. Perhaps check with vendor.

kj75

Enlightened
Some extra beamshots that show the floody beam with the added-on diffusor.
Enjoy! :)

camera settings: ISO 100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 4 sec, 35mm
2hyaycg.jpg

n3rci0.jpg

GIF-picture
rhu1l4.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts