Olight R50 Pro Seeker:rechargeable,XHP70,(HDC)26650, 3200 lumens;(beam)shots, compare

kj75

Enlightened
The second member of the Olight R50 series was a light that was often discussed and awaited before its release. Because the Pro-version got a more powerful XHP70 instead of the earlier used XHP50 emitter in the R50, the output increases with 700 lumens! The Pro version got a renewed charging system too, and a High Discharge Current battery is included now. I can't show you both R50's in this review (because I don't have), but I'll show you the details and give my opinion about the R50 Pro Seeker in this review. We'll have a look at the R50 Pro next to a competitor too, including outdoor beamshots. So, let's see what this powerful torch brings out!

the power version of the compact Olight R50

the R50 Pro Seeker

powered by a XHP70 LED

a pocket-sized searchlight

that has magnetic charging option

up to 3200 lumens coming out of this size!

Here are the specifications, given by Olight:

· Utilizes Cree XHP70 cool white LED; light output ranges from 50 to 3200 lumens
· Orange peel reflector paired with a slightly concave, coated lens to create a balanced beam
· Low power/lockout indicator under the side switch that glows red when the battery is running low or being hit under lockout mode
· Chamfered design above the side switch leaving more room for the thumb to make it easier and more comfortable for easy operation
· Easy and convenient operation: when the light is off, press and hold the side switch to access the low light mode, double click to activate turbo, and triple click to access the strobe mode
· Rechargeable through the magnetic charging cable provided with a charging current of 1A
· LED: XHP70 CW
· Max Output (lumens): 3200
· Low (lumens): 60
· Max Run Time (hours): 50 hours
· Beam Distance: 250 m
· Peak Beam Intensity (candela units): 15.600 cd
· Water Resistance: IPX8 (up to 2 meters)
· Impact Resistance: 1 m
· Head Diameter: 1.65 in. / 42 mm
· Length: 5.04 in. / 128 mm
· Battery Type: 26650
· Weight (oz): 9.24oz / 262 g

And the output specs:

Unboxing:

It's great to see that Olight takes such good care about their packages. It looks like the brand has banned out the plastic cases, the R50 Pro Seeker comes in the same nice box as it's big brother X7 Marauder. An attractive box in fresh colors; also mentioned at the box which version of the R50 Pro Seeker is inside (I got the standard version, there is an L(aw)(E)nforcement-version with wall charger too), and a big flap with magnetic lock. Same about the box's inner: it looks so neatly and orderly! Two separate sections: one for the light with protecting foam and a loop that help you to take the light out; one section covered by a flap. On the flap symbols printed that show what's inside. I'm really impressed! The box is ready to go, almost all we need is in….but where is the lanyard? To me, and I'm sure most of us, a strap is absolutely needed. For the rest, a very good job of Olight here, an example of how a light should be shipped! Scroll down for some pictures about the box and the contents!

the next generation Olight box

sturdy, attractive and given care to

a good option to restore the light

two sections inside: one for the R50 Pro Seeker and one for the accessories

neatly and orderly

inside: R50 Pro Seeker, manual, holster, travelling-plug and cable and a HDC 26650 cell

Impressions:

Olight is very good at designing and creating very compact lights. The same applies to the R50 Pro: it is surprising compact, and maybe the tiniest rechargeable light in the XHP70 / 26650-class. The R50 Pro Seeker is easily identifiable as an Olight, because it has the same looks and striking details as its little and big brothers. The Olight comes in nice, deep black color with metallic blue accents. The Olight R50 Pro has heavy feels and is excellent built and finished. No defects found on the lights body, anodizing- and laser engraving-job is done very well. The fine body structure provides good grip, the anti-rolling design could be better. Of course the light stands stable, both on head and backside. The stiff power button is easy to locate and rather easy to locate. To me, it may be little larger, when wearing gloves in the dark season it would be easier to find. The chamfered (like Olight calls this) notches in the lights' head will help also to locate the button. On the opposite site of the power button, we see such as a red transparent lens built-in, it looks like an infrared-eye. To be honest, I don't know exactly what this means, maybe someone can tell me… On the backside, we see the magnetic ring and pin built-in, that's designed for the charging cable. The connector is strong enough to clip-on the R50 Pro to for example your car; this is a nice feature. The lens is clean and the orange-peel reflector free of spots and dust; the XHP70 "quad-LED" is well centered. Neither any issue found during opening the R50 Pro: smooth running threads, no solder or glue rests inside, all well finished. At the end of this paragraph I can tell you that (like earlier Olights) the build-quality and finishing of the R50 Pro Seeker is again excellent done. Please scroll down for a lot pictures that show the light and the details!

the R50 Pro Seeker is very compact

but also Olight's largest flashlight that has magnetic charging

stable standing to use as a candle or emergency-light

the Pro version has an updated charging system

up to 3200 lumens in a palm-sized light
!

due to the powerful XHP70 emitter

excellent built and finished

anodizing and engraving job well done

nice, striking details like the blue bezel

well-balanced proportions

a chamfered head for better grip and control

I don't know what this transparent "infrared-eye" is meant for

the orange-peel reflector is free of defects

comes included dedicated HDC-battery

a close-up at the head and the engraving

a closer look at the tail

the stiff button and the nice metallic ring around

no dust or defects found in the heads' inner

the XHP70 is well-centered

the R50 Pro has a nice, deep black color

the cap released, the threads run smooth

a close-up to the "charging" cap

and a look into the tube

the R50 Pro Seeker fits perfectly in the holster

testing the waterproofness of the R50 Pro

charging can only be done by this cable or the (optional) dock

works fast and without problems

lights up red during charging, green when finished

a red LED in the button lights up when the R50 Pro is locked or if the voltage is low

the fluorescent ring helps you find your R50 Pro back (after shutting off)

a compact and multifunctional light

durable, easy to control…

and powerful!

User interface:

Like we saw earlier, the R50 Pro is very compact, and fits therefore nicely in your hand. Although it's an 26650-torch, the grip is good, even when wearing gloves. The notches in the lights' head give better grip, and will help also to locate the power button. Carrying the light in your (coat) pocket won't be a problem at all, it's not too heavy. Again I miss a strap…

Charging the light is an easy job. Olight provides a powerful plug and a magnetic connector; simply plug and connect to charge. A red / green LED on the connector informs about the progress. This doesn't need exercise… The 26650-cell can't be charged is any separate charger, this means that you may not forget this dedicated cable or an Olight charging dock. So, keep this in mind.

The interface is the same as most actual Olights: A normal click / press for on in last used mode and for off, a long press for instant-low; two quick presses for instant-Turbo; three quick clicks to enter Strobe. Press and hold in any mode to cycle through the three modes; cycling through the other modes coming out of Turbo is possible with the R50 Pro, but the light will first go back to High-mode. Turbo and Strobe both work from on an off, but from off the light will first short go in in last used mode. When you active Strobe, the light will first enter the steps before. Example: When you activate Strobe from off, you will firstly get into last used mode, after that into Turbo and then Strobe. In practice, a light like this isn't designed to use for long times at highest mode; the third level (1500 lumens) will last up to 10 minutes before it steps down. It's possible to lock-out the light by pressing and holding for about three seconds, this is only possible when the R50 Pro is off. If locked the red LED in the button will glow up. Same way to unlock. Resume: Except the " strange" Turbo and Strobe, the interface of the R50 Pro Seeker works fine, it doesn't need that much exercise.

Modes:

The R50 Pro Seeker has in total four constant modes, in order of: LOW > MED > HIGH > TURBO; The TURBO-mode is an instant-mode. The spacing is rather good, but because this is a light designed for search jobs, Olight skipped an ultralow mode. A moonlight-mode would give the R50 Pro excellent runtime in combination with this big 26650-cell. The two highest modes have a stepdown to avoid damage: the TURBO steps down to 1000 lumens after one and a half minute, the HIGH will decrease to also 1000 lumens after 10 minutes continuous use. There's only one flash-mode: STROBE. A beacon or SOS-mode would be some nice additions here. The R50 Pro has LOW VOLTAGE INDICATION too: the power button glows up in red when the battery gets exhausted. No info's about actual voltage at the R50 Pro Seeker; this should be a nice add in the future at Olights! Two ways to LOCK-OUT the light: by releasing the cap and by pressing and holding the power button for about three seconds (works only from off).

Size comparison:

I found one main competitor in my collection that is also rechargeable, has the same LED and equal output. I will use both later in the beamshot-section too. Let's see the Olight R50 Pro Seeker next to the Acebeam EC50 GEN II.

26650 High-Drain-Cell, Olight R50 Pro Seeker and Acebeam EC50 GEN II

Olight R50 Pro Seeker and Acebeam EC50 GEN II

the heads: both running on same XHP70-LED

the tails:

Tint:

Overall, the tint is ok, it's nice coolwhite. The white wall picture shows some greenish in the corona and little bluish in the spill. Like we often see, this can be seen most at the lower output modes. It seems that this is XHP70-related, the Acebeam EC50 GEN II shows an equal tint. I've no problems with it.

Beamprofile:

As you can see at my wall shots below, the R50 Pro shows a medium hotspot, and a rather tiny and "square" corona, which turns gradually into the big spill. In practice, you get a broad and wide-angled beam; but the R50 Pro has also nice throw. So, I can't name this light a purebred flooder. No defects in the beamprofile, no PWM found; no surprise to me for a brand like Olight.

Beamshots:

As we're used of, starting by projecting the beam at a white wall, distance about one meter away. The four output modes shown here, followed by a GIF.

Camera-settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 1/125 sec, 35mm

GIF:

Let's see now how the R50 Pro performs outside in the forest! Starting again by showing the four levels, after that a GIF. Also a direct comparison to the Acebeam EC50 GEN II here.

Camera-settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 4 sec, 35mm

animation:

Let's see now how the R50 Pro Seeker performs against the Acebeam EC50 GEN II!

Olight R50 Pro Seeker versus the Acebeam EC50 GEN II, both on highest level

A shot in the open field here, with a three line at about 150 meters away. Nice to see here that the R50 Pro Seeker has a wide spill and more throwy beam; the Acebeam EC50 GEN II has less throw but a more equal profile.

the Olight R50 Pro Seeker versus the Acebeam EC50 GEN II

Conclusion:

I can be short here: I like the R50 Pro Seeker! It's a great fact that the evolution of lights still goes on; a rechargeable torch that is pocket-sized and puts out over 3000 lumens is impressive. The build-quality and finishing is again excellent, and the XHP70 bulb emits a nice, little throwy beam. It's no problem to use the R50 Pro for longer time a highest mode; this is also the advantage of the used 26650 over a 18650 cell. Charging is an easy job, but demands the dedicated magnetic cable; I would like to see the option to charge the battery separately, because the charging job of this big cell takes a rather long time now. It's easy to control the light, but the interface is not my favorite: you have to turn the light on to lock it out, and when you get into the instant-modes the R50 Pro first turns on in last used or off. This is for about half a second, but I asked me if there isn't another solution here.

My wishes are one extra lower mode, accurate voltage indication, a larger power button, a location beacon in the switch and the opportunity to charge the cell in a battery charger.

But I'm still impressed that a torch of these dimensions can put out such a wall of light!

Special thanks to SkyBen trade and Olightworld for providing me this sample!

Last edited:

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review. Always love the pics down the trail with trees on both sides. The trail looks a bit spooky though. Thanks for your efforts. I agree that the mode switch is a bit too small and difficult to find, even without gloves. Fantastic light besides.

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the excellent review kj75. The 26650 format is very appealing and this one will be popular with flashaholic and novice alike. Olight have a very clever design department! [emoji4]

cstuart

Newly Enlightened
Just got the LE kit and it's become one of my favorite lights. The magnet is super handy. Excellent review.

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very good review... thanks. Your pics and gifs are outstanding. I love both the R50 and R50 Pro, can't go wrong with either Olight, but I actually prefer the R50 (vn) over the Pro model for the extra throw it provides.

DimmerD

Enlightened
It does remember your last mode but if you want it to come on in low mode just hold the button down a little extra when turning on.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review! Somehow I didn't realize how small these Olight lights are and this one is no exception. I'm loving the ability to top off with the magnetic charger on my S2r Baton. Might have to give Olight another go one of these days given how much I like mine. :)

proceed5

Enlightened
Thanks! I missed it...
If I want to use it, I have to purchase the LE-dock...

Hi kj75,
When Olight initially launched the R50 Pro, they offered a the LE-dock with the R50 Pro as a bundled-boxed deal (I think it was called the LE pack).
Lately their olightstore.com no longer list the said item for sale... not sure why.

Yes I heard you can separately purchase the LE-dock.

BTW, I believe the LE-dock enables much faster charging amperage and hence faster charging time. I heard it is higher than the standard 1 amp charge amperage. (hope someone or Olightworld could confirm this).

Last edited:

CM2010

Enlightened
What other 26650's can I use in this light as the keeppower ones i have are too long.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the latest version of the Keeppower 26650 5200mah unprotected cell from Illumination Supply and they fit/work perfectly.

HughJorgan

Newly Enlightened
BTW, I believe the LE-dock enables much faster charging amperage and hence faster charging time. I heard it is higher than the standard 1 amp charge amperage. (hope someone or Olightworld could confirm this).

That's correct, the LE dock charges at 3A.