Olight R50 Pro Seeker review with measurements (26650, XHP70)

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at the beamshots, the R50 Pro has a more floody beam then the XHP70 Acebeam EC50. The R50 Pro is a flood monster - it borders on a bit too floody for me. Will wait for a video by GoingGear or somebody...

Has there been any previous problems with the Olight Magnetic Charging System in general? Such as recharger failures, tailcap shorts, corrosion of tailcap external contacts, etc.?

maukka

Enlightened
hK4k5pn.png

Using the same Vappower 26650 4200 mAh high drain battery, I measured the runtimes on three lights on high. The Olight R50 Pro is clearly the most efficient with 9 % more total output than the R50 Seeker and a whopping 27 % more than the Acebeam EC50 Gen II, which also uses the XHP70 emitter like the R50 Pro.

toobadorz

Newly Enlightened
Using the same Vappower 26650 4200 mAh high drain battery, I measured the runtimes on three lights on high. The Olight R50 Pro is clearly the most efficient with 9 % more total output than the R50 Seeker and a whopping 27 % more than the Acebeam EC50 Gen II, which also uses the XHP70 emitter like the R50 Pro.

Besides the circuitry difference between these two lights, I guess another possible reason is because of the NW (5000K) XHP70 used in your EC50 GEN II. That XHP70 used in R50 Pro looks really cool and that possibly yields a better light-emitting efficiency.

maukka

Enlightened
Besides the circuitry difference between these two lights, I guess another possible reason is because of the NW (5000K) XHP70 used in your EC50 GEN II. That XHP70 used in R50 Pro looks really cool and that possibly yields a better light-emitting efficiency.

Very good point. I guess there's only one way to find out...

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
My EC50 II has developed some issues (flickering on low and mid modes, doesn't turn off after prolonged use on high/turbo if it's gotten hot), but otherwise I like its warm emitter and tint wise more consistent beam very much. The Olight's wide spill is nicer though when walking in uncertain terrain (forest paths with rocks and tree roots and other unexpected stuff) and the bluish spill isn't that big of an issue outdoors.

ok, so Acebeam may have some e-switch issues.

Anyone out there heard of any e-switch problems with any Olight model?

Last edited:

Olightworld

Enlightened
We want to know what you guys like the most. Do you prefer the R50 Pro LE charging dock with the emergency light feature, or the simple USB magnetic cable that comes with the regular R50 Pro?

nkbzF3C.jpg

HughJorgan

Newly Enlightened
We want to know what you guys like the most. Do you prefer the R50 Pro LE charging dock with the emergency light feature, or the simple USB magnetic cable that comes with the regular R50 Pro?

nkbzF3C.jpg

Personally I find the LE charging dock more appealing, but if I were to buy one today I'd get the regular R50 Pro. It's a nice-to-have, but it just doesn't feel worth the upcharge. For example, the price jump between the R50 and R50 Pro, I feel that what you get in the R50 Pro justifies it. But then that same jump again to the LE, the charging doc alone doesn't feel like a proportionate upgrade. Just my opinion.

Oh, and great review, OP; thanks.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olightworld, please confirm trickle charge, deny it, or confirm this is a bug. If this light does not terminate charging at the proper voltage it would be a serious defect. If you don't agree please explain. If this is by design, is this for both the cradle and the simple magnet charger?

I like the emergency light function, but I don't see it as one of the other. Both options should be available. Typically I don't like internal charging, but especially your proprietary batteries required. If you could engineer a light that operated on standard industry cells with embedded charging that would be much better. Yes it may make the light more expensive, but it's doable even with a magnetic base.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) Although people may vary regarding their perception of how important or not important it is to be able to use standard batteries, nonetheless, I still think almost everyone prefers non-custom batteries.
2) The too-high trickle charge issue needs to be fixed.
3) Still needs a moonlight mode.
4) Still needs a backlit button option.

Last edited:

RocketTomato

Enlightened
1) Although people may vary regarding their perception of how important or not important it is to be able to use standard batteries, nonetheless, I still think almost everyone prefers non-custom batteries.
2) The too-high trickle charge issue needs to be fixed.
3) Still needs a moonlight mode.
4) Still needs a backlit button option.

1- You can use standard batteries with the light, you just won't be able to use the integrated charger. The light comes with an Olight battery and I for one really like the magnetic charging cable so I am OK with using the proprietary batteries to gain that functionality.
2- Agreed, that needs to be addressed.
3- I don't consider the R50 seeker an EDC light. I grab it when I need a lot of output, so the lack of a moonlight mode (while it would be handy) is not a big issue for me.
4- Yeah, it would be a nice option. It can be tough to find that side-switch in the dark. It would be cool if you could add an optional glow-ring around the switch or just a glow in the dark switch cover.

Maukka, can you use the S1R and S2R magnetic charging bases and magnetic cables with the R50 Pro seeker or is the size difference to great? What happens if you put the R50 Pro tailcap on the R50 and try to charge it?

Olightworld

Enlightened
1. Yes the magnetic charging requires our batteries. There is a simple fix as well, we sell the same battery separately. Buy a few as spares and then it doesn't make a difference. These batteries work in other 26650 compatible devices as well.
2. Based on the charging design and being a side switch light, parasitic drain is inevitable. We give the light a big battery and make it the easiest light to charge in the world for a reason. Of course technology will get better over time but at the moment this is the most efficient design we could do with this kind of power.
3. This light is designed for high power and is geared towards law enforcement etc. The light is most likely going to be used on medium-turbo with it's intended purpose.
4. We do appreciate the feedback on this. A glow in the dark button is something we are looking into at this time.

1- You can use standard batteries with the light, you just won't be able to use the integrated charger. The light comes with an Olight battery and I for one really like the magnetic charging cable so I am OK with using the proprietary batteries to gain that functionality.
2- Agreed, that needs to be addressed.
3- I don't consider the R50 seeker an EDC light. I grab it when I need a lot of output, so the lack of a moonlight mode (while it would be handy) is not a big issue for me.
4- Yeah, it would be a nice option. It can be tough to find that side-switch in the dark. It would be cool if you could add an optional glow-ring around the switch or just a glow in the dark switch cover.

Maukka, can you use the S1R and S2R magnetic charging bases and magnetic cables with the R50 Pro seeker or is the size difference to great? What happens if you put the R50 Pro tailcap on the R50 and try to charge it?

RocketTomato

Enlightened
2. Based on the charging design and being a side switch light, parasitic drain is inevitable. We give the light a big battery and make it the easiest light to charge in the world for a reason. Of course technology will get better over time but at the moment this is the most efficient design we could do with this kind of power.

The issue is not the parasitic drain but the 40 mA trickle charge when using the magnetic charging cable. Based on Maukka's review, the charger for the R50 Pro does not terminate properly and may be overcharging the battery. Is the Olight battery a protected cell?

Olightworld

Enlightened
Guys we are doing a Black Friday sale at www.olightstore.com from Nov. 24-28th. Everything 20-35% off. Some items are even 45% off. We highly suggest you check it out next weekend! Also take a look at our Facebook page. We are currently giving away an SR95S-UT ($350 flashlight).

mDsOu9c.jpg

Bas

Newly Enlightened
I very much appreciate for your great review.
I just got R50 pro and tested the magnetic charger, and my result was like your review.
An indicator light of the magnetic charger turns green at 0.07A and the charger still charges at 0.05A
after 30 min without termination. I used Xtar VI01 in this test, and have yet to check battery voltage.
I am inexperienced in Lithium battery, and would like to have some advice.
- Does high voltage of battery (4.24v.) have significant effect to battery life?
- Is it safe to charge the battery with magnetic charger over night?
- If I use Xtar VI01 while charging, how is the current should I take out the charger in order to maintain the battery life and safe?

CM2010

Enlightened
What other 26650's can I use in this light as the keeppower ones i have are too long.

BenSenise

Newly Enlightened

I just bought an R50 Pro Seeker a few days ago. I chose the version without the charging dock in part because of the issue with the continuous charging as written about here by the OP of this thread and also in part because I share the same opinion as, ermmm, another poster in thinking that the dock is nice to have but not worth the premium. The standard magnetic mount is fine for my needs.

But I had a strange problem with it holding a charge. As these things take a few days to diagnose, I came back to this forum to see if it was normal or if anyone else had noticed the same problem.

The problem is that the battery went dead with virtually no use. I let the unit charge overnight and then used the light for a few minutes. checked out the modes and then took it outdoors to the back of the house and tried the turbo mode. I love the form factor, the amount of light and beam patern, and the convenience of the magnetic charger. So I left the light on my bedside table, ready for "things that go bump in the night." I picked it up the next day to check out this new toy again and boom, battery dead. the red ring around the side switch was the only thing that lit up when I pressed it. It was not locked out. So I charged it again that night but this time decided to unscrew the tail cap just enough to disconnect the battery. Now we're on day 2 and the light still lights up. I haven't gotten around to putting a volt meter to the battery yet. I'm going to leave the tail cap unscrewed for another day or two and then i'll tighten it up so see if this causes the battery to drain again. I read on this post where the OP states the drain current and I would think that it would be insignificant so I should be able to leave the charged flashlight off the charger for a month without having to worry about it going dead. That would mean that I can't leave it on the charger as to not ruin the battery and I can't leave it off the charger for fear of being useless when I need it.

Is my reasoning above sound? Has anyone else had any issues with this light?

signals

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone else had any issues with this light?

Well, it appears that I have. My wonderful wife bought me the LE kit for Christmas. Worked fine until today. I just pulled it off the charger and got nothing. No response at all to any button pushes, not even the red light in the button. So, I took the battery out and measured the voltage. 0.03V... Sigh. I used it not 2 days ago and it was fine. When I put it on the charger the light stays green as though it's either full, or as though there's nothing on the charger. I'm assuming the protection circuitry on the battery is doing its job.

So, now it looks like I have to get a new 26650, and since the light has the weird charging circuit with the concentric rings on the battery, I guess I have to buy another Olight. I don't exactly have confidence in them at this point, though. The light and battery are only 2 months old.

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone tried to slow discharge the battery to see if it will resume working?

Like if it will give 0.03V, it is outputting... something. Is it possible to let it output low voltage and low current until the battery gets back under the protection limit and it can reset the protection?

I don't know how the over protection works, I've only dealt with the over discharge side.