Olight R50 Seeker Copper ... Limited Edition

Olightworld

Enlightened
Guys we are doing a Black Friday sale at www.olightstore.com from Nov. 24-28th. Everything 20-35% off. Some items are even 45% off. We highly suggest you check it out next weekend! Also take a look at our Facebook page. We are currently giving away an SR95S-UT ($350 flashlight).

mDsOu9c.jpg

olemil

Newly Enlightened
I'm really chomping at the bit to order one of these, only thing I wish it came with a holster but I do see they are available on their website for the R50 and R50 pro. Not sure if I can convince the wife how much I really need this limited edition beauty (for my X-mas present to me from me)......LOL.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got this amazing and unique light and I love it!! Part super classy super high output compact XHP50 light part home meat tenderizer I believe my copy must weigh 4 pounds!! Now going through holster options. I know GG sells the holster for the R40 which I have but it is just to tight for either light the holster turns on both lights..

olemil

Newly Enlightened
I just got this amazing and unique light and I love it!! Part super classy super high output compact XHP50 light part home meat tenderizer I believe my copy must weigh 4 pounds!! Now going through holster options. I know GG sells the holster for the R40 which I have but it is just to tight for either light the holster turns on both lights..

Ahhh, you're killing me...lol. If you want an Olight holster, olightstore.com sells them for cheap. Here are the details, I would assume it would fit the copper version as well......

Holster built specifically for the R50, R50 Pro, and R50 Pro LE Seeker flashlights. Heavy duty hard shell structure perfect for construction and duty belt use.

idle

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking of buying this light and adding it to my Olight collection. The thing is, I don't want it to tarnish. I know most people want their copper to tarnish, and even help the process along for the finish their after. I think the light, as is, new from the box looks magnificent and tarnish would only spoil it.

Is there something I could do to keep it from tarnishing? Like a protective coating I could spray or dip the copper in for a new look for life? If so I would probably by this light. I already have the R50 Pro Seeker LE and its one of my all time favorite lights. The copper version would be more of a desktop/show piece, hence wanting to keep it looking like new.

Cheers :D

dmsoule

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking of buying this light and adding it to my Olight collection. The thing is, I don't want it to tarnish. I know most people want their copper to tarnish, and even help the process along for the finish their after. I think the light, as is, new from the box looks magnificent and tarnish would only spoil it.

Is there something I could do to keep it from tarnishing? Like a protective coating I could spray or dip the copper in for a new look for life? If so I would probably by this light. I already have the R50 Pro Seeker LE and its one of my all time favorite lights. The copper version would be more of a desktop/show piece, hence wanting to keep it looking like new.

Cheers :D

I had the same idea. I found that some types of lacquer are made specifically for this purpose. Regular nitrocellulose lacquer will actually accelerate the tarnishing. I found a product on Amazon, description below. It is not cheap, over $40 for a standard spray can. Good luck!

Jet Spray Clear Lacquer Copper Protectant Item #150N Jet spray clear lacquer will maintain your copper weathervane or your cupola's copper roof with Jet Spray Gloss finish 75-85 sheen 13 oz can.

idle

Newly Enlightened
I had the same idea. I found that some types of lacquer are made specifically for this purpose. Regular nitrocellulose lacquer will actually accelerate the tarnishing. I found a product on Amazon, description below. It is not cheap, over $40 for a standard spray can. Good luck!

Jet Spray Clear Lacquer Copper Protectant Item #150N Jet spray clear lacquer will maintain your copper weathervane or your cupola's copper roof with Jet Spray Gloss finish 75-85 sheen 13 oz can.

Thanks for the advice. Appreciated :thumbsup:

I'm in Australia and Amazon won't ship Aerosol cans to my country. So I did a whole lot of searching and finally found the product you suggested being sold here in Australia. But, I'm a little confused. You stated "Regular nitrocellulose lacquer will actually accelerate the tarnishing"

Here's the link to the Amazon product you suggested - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0052ZJ4VY/?tag=cpf0b6-20
Here's the link to the product I found here in Australia - https://www.guitaraust.com.au/finishing/lacquers/jet-spray-lacquer-gloss.html

From what I can tell they are both the same product, ie. The label code B101 -0800 appears on both items, so I'm guessing they are same product. But on the Australian site its states "Jet Spray Nitrocellulose Lacquer - Clear Gloss finish" which you said above would accelerate tarnishing?

A bit confused, would hate to buy the wrong product and ruin a $200 dollar copper light. Yeah, that's what one of these lights cost down here in the middle of nowhere :sick2:

Cheers.

dmsoule

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice. Appreciated :thumbsup:

I'm in Australia and Amazon won't ship Aerosol cans to my country. So I did a whole lot of searching and finally found the product you suggested being sold here in Australia. But, I'm a little confused. You stated "Regular nitrocellulose lacquer will actually accelerate the tarnishing"

Here's the link to the Amazon product you suggested - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0052ZJ4VY/?tag=cpf0b6-20
Here's the link to the product I found here in Australia - https://www.guitaraust.com.au/finishing/lacquers/jet-spray-lacquer-gloss.html

From what I can tell they are both the same product, ie. The label code B101 -0800 appears on both items, so I'm guessing they are same product. But on the Australian site its states "Jet Spray Nitrocellulose Lacquer - Clear Gloss finish" which you said above would accelerate tarnishing?

A bit confused, would hate to buy the wrong product and ruin a $200 dollar copper light. Yeah, that's what one of these lights cost down here in the middle of nowhere :sick2:

Cheers.

Yes, that is confusing. By regular nitrocellulose lacquer, meant without any special additives. Here is some more information I found at http://www.oldcopper.org/special_topics/surface_finishes.php

"Lacquers used must be suitable for copper-based materials in order to inhibit tarnishing. They must be applied on surfaces that are scrupulously clean and free from oil or grease. Some lacquers, especially the basic cellulose type, allow tarnishing to take place under the surface of the coating. Care should be taken to select lacquers designated by the manufacturers as suitable for use on copper, brass and other copper alloys that include a tarnish inhibitor such as benzotriazole or suitable alternative in their composition."

I suggest reaching out to a jeweler or a finishing supplier to to make certain you get the right product. Or experiment with some copper pipe. I have experience with lacquers in woodworking but am far outside of my expertise here.

Here is another source, which recommends acrylic lacquer. http://forums.finewoodworking.com/fine-woodworking-knots/finishing/lacquer-or-better-finish-copper

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Happy to report a fellow CPFer offered his for sale and I'm a copper r50 owner.