Olight S15 (XM-L2, 1xAA/2xAA/3xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO + more!

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
My S15 is at least 10~13 lumen on low (love that, very usable). And moon mode is dimmer than my new S20`s moon mode...low on my S20 is disappointing to me...maybe 5 lumen...not nearly as usable as the low on the S15. Still have not run the S20 down far enough for the low batt warning light to come on and I have been running it quite a bit on medium mode. I`m lovin both the lights.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Here's a revised NiMH Hi mode runtime graph, showing 3xNiMH on my original S15, plus a 1xNiMH runtime on the new sample I purchased.

S15-NiMH.gif

As you can see, there is a slight bump in output on the new sample.

But what I find interesting is how the second extension tube on the first sample didn't really extend the runtime that much further past the 2xNiMH test. It really does seem like ~2.5-3V is the "sweet spot" for running this light (i.e., the outstanding performance of 2xNiMH).

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just a received another S15, that I personally purchased from an online vendor. The output levels on Moon/Lo are much lower than my original sample, and pretty consistent with your estimates. Here's a direct comparison:

S15-Lumens-1.gif

As you can see, there's little difference on Med/Hi. But it is interesting that Lower modes are that variable. I will update the main review with this table and additional commentary.

Thanks Selfbuilt for your report! 0,03lm, wow! That's really moon mode! I would like that.

nmos

Newly Enlightened
FWIW my S15 also has a bit of a "pre-flash" before coming on if it's been off for a few minutes. It's only for a fraction of a second and doesn't bother me but it's obvious once you've noticed it.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

nmos

Newly Enlightened
I've only had my S15 for a couple days but so far I really like it. My only real complaint is with the switch which manages to be both hard to find by touch and easy to press accidentally. I know about the lockout but then it takes a while to turn on and comes on in moonlight mode rather than medium which I prefer for this kind of light. It would also be nice if it didn't have memory and instead had some way to program the default brightness level.

I do really like that you can quickly get to high, moonlight, memorized or strobe.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Quality

Newly Enlightened
So the S15 does around 350 lumens for 1hr 40min on two eneloops with nearly flat regulation? Am I reading this right?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Yes, that is what I found. Note the lumen scale is only approximate, based on the calibration method (described in the links in the review).

Quality

Newly Enlightened
Thats pretty impressive. Wonder if they would make a neutral version?

nickso

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review self built !
One thing I noticed is that your review states that your light (pre-release) came with an extender tube, but when I look at the olight site it does not mention one and Batteryjunction states that the extension tubes are NOT included.

Has anyone received an extension tube included with the light ?

Nick

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
One thing I noticed is that your review states that your light (pre-release) came with an extender tube, but when I look at the olight site it does not mention one and Batteryjunction states that the extension tubes are NOT included.
i am looking for the same info...
Both this post http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...nd-Beamshots&p=4270226&viewfull=1#post4270226 and the first one from this thread have a picture with Include: 1 x Extended Tube (Gift)
Does the tube still is included with the retail package ?
I purchased a retail sample of the S15 from an online vendor (which stated the extender was included), and got the extender with the same packaging with the "gift" sticker.

I would go by whatever the vendors are listing on their descriptions - it's possible some vendors have stock with extender tube "gifts" and some don't. The use of a sicker implies that it is not a permanent addition to the package. I personally recommend people go for and use an extender, given the improved efficiency in 2x form.

TronPlayer

Newly Enlightened
The s15 suffers from accidental switch activation from being loose in my pocket and using the clip in my pocket. I've had to replace it with the sc52w for my edc.

lightmyfire13

Enlightened
Try using the lockout mode ie switch off then press for couple of seconds to lock then to turn on hold for couple of secs....

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 4

rockhopper

Newly Enlightened
I ordered one online this week (the Netherlands) and it came with the "gift sticker" and 1 extention tube. This was also listed on the website. Seems like it's a temporary introduction bonus first batch only maybe, but a large batch at that.

I saw that a few Chinese sellers ship with 2 tubes but I didnt want the international shipment hassle that goes with it. Looking at the inefficiency for adding a 3rd AA in this thread, I'm glad I didnt.

A little update:
My impressions so far. It seems very unforgiving in the single AA mode. What I mean by that is that the light won't activate or respond at all when the batteries (NiMh 2400 Eneloops Sanyo XXX) seem to be getting low. This won't allow me to turn on a moonlight mode if I wanted to. With 2 AA in I dont seem to have that problem.
I also get the humming / buzzing sound on Low (not moonlight) when I use 2 batteries. I'd have to try with full batteries to double check if it's only when they're getting low.

Kinda contemplating now if I should keep this light or switch it and hope for a better sample. I like the format and the way it allows both one or two AA, but all in all there's a few downsides.
So my question is, can anyone else here turn the light on with partially drained batteries? Mind you I'm not expecting turbo, just a moonlight would suffice.

Last edited:

moyo

Newly Enlightened
I ordered one online this week (the Netherlands) and it came with the "gift sticker" and 1 extention tube. This was also listed on the website. Seems like it's a temporary introduction bonus first batch only maybe, but a large batch at that.

I saw that a few Chinese sellers ship with 2 tubes but I didnt want the international shipment hassle that goes with it. Looking at the inefficiency for adding a 3rd AA in this thread, I'm glad I didnt.

A little update:
My impressions so far. It seems very unforgiving in the single AA mode. What I mean by that is that the light won't activate or respond at all when the batteries (NiMh 2400 Eneloops Sanyo XXX) seem to be getting low. This won't allow me to turn on a moonlight mode if I wanted to. With 2 AA in I dont seem to have that problem.
I also get the humming / buzzing sound on Low (not moonlight) when I use 2 batteries. I'd have to try with full batteries to double check if it's only when they're getting low.

Kinda contemplating now if I should keep this light or switch it and hope for a better sample. I like the format and the way it allows both one or two AA, but all in all there's a few downsides.
So my question is, can anyone else here turn the light on with partially drained batteries? Mind you I'm not expecting turbo, just a moonlight would suffice.

I got an S15 recently and I can confirm that it turns on in 1xAA mode even when the battery is nearly depleted. I tried it with both Alkaline and 2000 Eneloop.

Also, I don't have a good way of confirming this, but I believe my unit has the same output as the first sample in this review (8.4 and .12 lumens on Lo and Firefly). It came with the extension tube but no "gift" sticker.

LlF

Newly Enlightened
Hi, how would you describe the feel of the blue button? comparing to say.. a mouse click, a tv remote, zebralight H502, or something like this or this ??

is there any other brand that have a button like the zebralight's?