OLight S1A vs Fenix LD12 vs ??

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP if I were you I would still just be considering the S1A and LD12. The S1A is capable of more output than the LD12 but the new LD12 is IP68 rated which basically means it is totally waterproof and more or less indestructible. Both lights can be had for less than $50 especially the S1A. Remember there is a cool white S1A and a neutral white S1A. Guess it would come down to what kind of beam profile do you want? The nothing but a huge hot spot of the S1A or the traditional lots of spill with a smaller hot spot profile of the LD12.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP if I were you I would still just be considering the S1A and LD12. The S1A is capable of more output than the LD12 but the new LD12 is IP68 rated which basically means it is totally waterproof and more or less indestructible. Both lights can be had for less than $50 especially the S1A. Remember there is a cool white S1A and a neutral white S1A. Guess it would come down to what kind of beam profile do you want? The nothing but a huge hot spot of the S1A or the traditional lots of spill with a smaller hot spot profile of the LD12.

Whoa easy there. It's no where near indestructible. The IP68 rating applies to dust and water resistance only and not drops. And it is not waterproof, but merely water resistant. IP68 is NOT more water resistant than IPX8 by the way.

ThawMyTongue

Newly Enlightened

Don't get me wrong, I still want the S1A or the LD12. But the Manker E11 seems like a great light for a decent price and I was going to pick one up while I wait on a deal to pop up on the Fenix or OLight (leaning toward the LD12).

Why buy just one when you can buy two?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
okay fair enough I should have said near indestructible. The new IP68 Fenix lights are built to amazingly tight tolerances. I have 3 of them which includes the LD12.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't get me wrong, I still want the S1A or the LD12. But the Manker E11 seems like a great light for a decent price and I was going to pick one up while I wait on a deal to pop up on the Fenix or OLight (leaning toward the LD12).

Why buy just one when you can buy two?

Beware of probable green tint from the E11 NW.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oddly GoingGear does not have the new LD12. They also no longer list the NW S1A I scored for 35 bucks. They have the CW S1A for $49.95. The following coupon codes may work-pm101/taco/cpf8

eidolen

Newly Enlightened
I like the Eagtac D25A Clicky. It's one of the thinnest AA clickies out there. (If not thee thinnest) You can start it in either low or high mode from off, and has a ton of emitter options.

• Cree XP-L HI Domeless
  • Cree XP-L HI Domeless Neutral
  • Nichia 219B 5700K
  • Nichia 219B
  • Nichia 219C 4000K
The only down side IMO is the direct drive using a 14500, which means that moonlight and medium are 2-3x brighter than with an NiHM. I picked up a 2015 titanium version for $55 2 months ago.
The Thrunite T10 handles 14500s much better by only increasing the output or high/turbo and leaves the moonlight and medium untouched. If the T10T would handle 14500s, I might just replace my D25A. They don't have all the emitter options, but at least they have a NW option. Maybe they'll update that soon since they are discounting the old ones heavily right now.

Rixter

Newly Enlightened
I have the Olight S1A (selected with the help of advice from the good folk on this forum!), and I really love it. I don't have the LD12 so can't comment on it or even say which is better.

What I love about the S1A is the floodlight beam, which has a pretty good throw. When I walk on some of the unlit private roads in my neighborhood, it lights up the entire road for quite a distance. And this is with an NiMH battery, not lithium. Great for walking the dog.

Another thing I love about the S1A is moonlight mode, or as I call it, the burglar mode. It's great to have a weak beam of light when you get up in the middle of the night and just want to avoid bumping into things. I studiously avoid turning on a room light or lamp when I get up in the night because light can stimulate secretion of the hormone that wakes you up. So a dim light is best for me for a trip to the bathroom when it's dark.

I also love that it remembers the last mode but still has the ability to turn on the light directly in moonlight mode even if the last mode is one of the brighter modes (simply requires a long push on the button).

I'm not crazy about the clip but it's useful if you want to clip it to the bill of a baseball cap and have the light shining forward. Helpful for grilling after the sun sets.

The magnetic tail cap seems useful but I haven't had a need to use it yet.

My one complaint about the light is the switch does not protrude very far, and it's hard from me to find it with my finger if I don't have the clip on. With the clip, no problem as I can orient the light in my hand using the clip. But without the clip and in the dark, it can be hard to find the button to turn on the light! With gloves on, even if I can see the button, I have a hard-to-impossible time turning on the light, and I usually have to take off a glove to do so.

I may affix some kind of highly protruberant bump 180 degrees opposite the button so that I can find the button more easily without the clip (though that won't help with the glove problem).

Overall, I am extremely satisfied with the light.

Olightworld

Enlightened
We appreciate the feedback. It is a tough compromise because we used to make bigger switches but they turn on in peoples pockets, smaller switches are harder to find. We have worked pretty hard to find that sweet spot in between. I think it will get better as you get used to the light. Thank you.

I have the Olight S1A (selected with the help of advice from the good folk on this forum!), and I really love it. I don't have the LD12 so can't comment on it or even say which is better.

What I love about the S1A is the floodlight beam, which has a pretty good throw. When I walk on some of the unlit private roads in my neighborhood, it lights up the entire road for quite a distance. And this is with an NiMH battery, not lithium. Great for walking the dog.

Another thing I love about the S1A is moonlight mode, or as I call it, the burglar mode. It's great to have a weak beam of light when you get up in the middle of the night and just want to avoid bumping into things. I studiously avoid turning on a room light or lamp when I get up in the night because light can stimulate secretion of the hormone that wakes you up. So a dim light is best for me for a trip to the bathroom when it's dark.

I also love that it remembers the last mode but still has the ability to turn on the light directly in moonlight mode even if the last mode is one of the brighter modes (simply requires a long push on the button).

I'm not crazy about the clip but it's useful if you want to clip it to the bill of a baseball cap and have the light shining forward. Helpful for grilling after the sun sets.

The magnetic tail cap seems useful but I haven't had a need to use it yet.

My one complaint about the light is the switch does not protrude very far, and it's hard from me to find it with my finger if I don't have the clip on. With the clip, no problem as I can orient the light in my hand using the clip. But without the clip and in the dark, it can be hard to find the button to turn on the light! With gloves on, even if I can see the button, I have a hard-to-impossible time turning on the light, and I usually have to take off a glove to do so.

I may affix some kind of highly protruberant bump 180 degrees opposite the button so that I can find the button more easily without the clip (though that won't help with the glove problem).

Overall, I am extremely satisfied with the light.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
We appreciate the feedback. It is a tough compromise because we used to make bigger switches but they turn on in peoples pockets, smaller switches are harder to find. We have worked pretty hard to find that sweet spot in between. I think it will get better as you get used to the light. Thank you.

The recessed switch on Zebralights is a good design.

ThawMyTongue

Newly Enlightened

I do like the design of the button on the S1 baton and thé S1R. I can easily find them in the dark, but have not had much of an issue with them turning on in a pocket.

Rixter

Newly Enlightened

My suggestion is that you develop an eccentricity (for the lack of a better term) to the body of the light that allows the user to orient himself as to where the switch is simply by the feel of the light. For example there could be a noticeable protrusion or a large dimple, or perhaps simply a rough surface, 180 degrees opposite the switch. That way, when the user's index finger is on the eccentricity, he will know that his thumb will be on the switch. The eccentricity, no matter what its size, won't turn on the light in someone's pocket because it's not a switch, but it will allow the user to orient himself to the switch without using the clip.

There's not much that comes to mind to fix the problem with gloves, except maybe gluing a dime to the index finger of the glove!

STREAMHAWAII

Newly Enlightened
So by now, a lot of you "now own" a S1A and a LD12. I'm in the same situation ( Noob ) and would like some current feedback on them. Torn between two. While also getting a D25A soon.

Latest posts