OLIGHT SR52 Intimidator (3x18650,XM-L2,1200Lm,Built In Charger) REVIEW

stanley-beamish

Newly Enlightened
Very useful comparison, thank you!
The beam of the Catapult V5 ist awesome but i like the USB charging option also.
Very difficult to decide.

kj2

Flashaholic
Am looking at the Vn version now. If those numbers, what Capolini says, are correct.. than it's really hard to resist :p

ncvarmint

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have the sr51 and sr52 to compair side by side
is there that much difference in them as far as throw and spill
thank
tre

viperxp

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. Interesting that Olight went with serial cells connection on the recent SR series flashlights ....

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have the sr51 and sr52 to compair side by side
is there that much difference in them as far as throw and spill
thank
tre

I still have my Olight SR50 and SR51 and now I have the SR52.

The throw is much better and brighter than the older ones.

I love everything about this light.

There is nothing to really criticize about this light so far.

USB charging is a great plus in my book.

I am not stuck with proprietary batteries so I can have a fresh set of 3 x 18650 batteries in my pocket if needed as well as being able to use 6 x CR123 batteries as well.

This light can run on one 18650 if need be although the runtime is obviously going to be short.

It is a bit heavier than the SR50 and SR51.

The beam is a nice clean white being a Cool White LED and the beam has no obvious artifacts in it.

I can't see any green or blue in the beam.

The beam is mainly aimed at throwing but the spill is very useful.

The light is a bit shorter than the other older lights by about an inch or more.

I will do some beamshots ASAP.

CHEERS

ncvarmint

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info
do you like your sr50 or sr51 better
i have 2 sr51's and love them but want a sr50 too
I still have my Olight SR50 and SR51 and now I have the SR52.

The throw is much better and brighter than the older ones.

I love everything about this light.

There is nothing to really criticize about this light so far.

USB charging is a great plus in my book.

I am not stuck with proprietary batteries so I can have a fresh set of 3 x 18650 batteries in my pocket if needed as well as being able to use 6 x CR123 batteries as well.

This light can run on one 18650 if need be although the runtime is obviously going to be short.

It is a bit heavier than the SR50 and SR51.

The beam is a nice clean white being a Cool White LED and the beam has no obvious artifacts in it.

I can't see any green or blue in the beam.

The beam is mainly aimed at throwing but the spill is very useful.

The light is a bit shorter than the other older lights by about an inch or more.

I will do some beamshots ASAP.

CHEERS

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info
do you like your sr50 or sr51 better
i have 2 sr51's and love them but want a sr50 too

I prefer the SR50 rather than the SR51 as it has a cooler nicer white for my use and has a narrower beam.

I like the SR52 a lot now and the other older ones will be gathering dust just as they have for the last year as I have quite a few Thrunite TN30 and TN31 lights both stock and modded.

I have many other lights that perform far better than the SR50 and SR51.

I think the SR52 is going to be a big seller IMHO.

For someone that wants a light that looks and handles like the older generation lights with a single button at the front it is a really good starting point.

It suits beginners that want a better performing light than the ones for sale at Walmart, Bunnings and other hardware stores.

It also pleases us flashaholics as well as we can see value and performance when it comes along and this is a winner in my book.

The only thing extra that I would like in the UI is a battery level indicator button sequence showing 1 to 4 quick flashes as used in the Zebralight SC600 XM-L2 and SC52 XM-L2 to show the battery level in quarters of the full stored power available.

Some battery indicators flash the actual battery voltage which means very little to those wanting an easy to use light and know nothing about the Li-ion cells inside.

At the moment the indicator LED on the light goes red when the batteries are getting very low.

CHEERS

Last edited:

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far I have found one issue that is important to point out.

I am having trouble finding the on/off button in the dark.

Sometimes it is very frustrating and takes quite a few seconds to locate when first picked up in the dark.

I am thinking it needs to have some glow in the dark feature or a locator LED under the button.

Sure enough this button would be hard to be accidentally pressed as it is hard enough to find in the dark with it's low profile.

Maybe I will make up some glue with glow particles added to place on top of the rubber button.

CHEERS

GoingGear.com

Enlightened
So far I have found one issue that is important to point out. I am having trouble finding the on/off button in the dark. Sometimes it is very frustrating and takes quite a few seconds to locate when first picked up in the dark. I am thinking it needs to have some glow in the dark feature or a locator LED under the button. Sure enough this button would be hard to be accidentally pressed as it is hard enough to find in the dark with it's low profile. Maybe I will make up some glue with glow particles added to place on top of the rubber button. CHEERS

I've spent a lot of quality time with lights at night where I couldn't see them, so I'll tell you how I find side switches at night: Put your thumb and forefinger around the part of the light with the switch. You should instantly be able to feel where it is and find it to activate it. I find this method a lot faster than turning the light around and feeling for the switch.

On many lights you can squeeze at the same time and turn the light on. The squeezing method is a bit harder to do on the SR52 because of the relatively low profile of the switch, but squeezing works really well with the larger SR9x series.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've spent a lot of quality time with lights at night where I couldn't see them, so I'll tell you how I find side switches at night: Put your thumb and forefinger around the part of the light with the switch. You should instantly be able to feel where it is and find it to activate it. I find this method a lot faster than turning the light around and feeling for the switch.

On many lights you can squeeze at the same time and turn the light on. The squeezing method is a bit harder to do on the SR52 because of the relatively low profile of the switch, but squeezing works really well with the larger SR9x series.

I have tried your way of finding the button and it works a lot better.

The body of the light is too big in diameter to wrap my fingers right around but it beats holding the light in my hand and trying to find the button with my thumb.

The button could have been raised slightly to make it easier to find in the dark.

I am still considering raising the rubber button with something on top of it.

The buttons on the SR50, SR51 and the SR90/95 series are much higher and easier to find.

I love the Goingprepared flashlight comparison videos that are done out on the farm, keep them coming if possible!

CHEERS

Danielsan

Enlightened
At the moment the indicator LED on the light goes red when the batteries are getting very low.

CHEERS

This is interesting, i did not tested that because my SR52 flashes, after that i put the 18650s in a Charger with LCD display and it showed 3.4V but thats not under load! It means the red flashing LED starts under 3.4V. My SR52 is also changed from the ones i see here which is strange. Mine eats flat top cells for breakfast

Iglooo2

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I have bought a sr52 intimidator from a retailer. It was new. I did not have batteries for it. So I bought some from eBay. When I put them in the flashlight did not turn on. When I plug the cable in it does work. So I tested the batteries at a local shop and the batteries were fine , even bought different type of batteries, still did not work with them in. I need to know what I do wrong? I have tried everything nothing works

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

kj2

Flashaholic
Hello,
I have bought a sr52 intimidator from a retailer. It was new. I did not have batteries for it. So I bought some from eBay. When I put them in the flashlight did not turn on. When I plug the cable in it does work. So I tested the batteries at a local shop and the batteries were fine , even bought different type of batteries, still did not work with them in. I need to know what I do wrong? I have tried everything nothing works

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Button or flat-top. First batch need button. There is talk Olight 'updated' it, so the positive end will also take flat-tops.

Latest posts