Olight SR96 (3*Cree MK-R, 4800 lumen) Pictures, impressions

gopajti

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello guys, Olight SR96 arrived few days ago.. I made some pics and I would like to share my impressions also

Official

The SR96 Intimidator is a standard-setting rechargeable flashlight designed to maximize illumination rather than distance. With three CREE MK-R LEDs and separated reflectors, the SR96 blasts out an astonishing 4,800 lumens from a handheld light — making it ideal for search and rescue, exploration, and any other activities requiring tremendous amounts of illumination. The side switch selects between three brightness levels, a strobe mode, and a lock-out function to prevent accidental activation. It also allows for momentary activation and constant on/off. A rechargeable lithium battery is built into the light, with a power indicator and charging port on the tail cap. Advanced thermal management and the design of the hard anodized aluminum body ensures that heat dissipates efficiently and the light does not overheat. The SR96 is the next best thing to holding the sun in your hands.

Key Features:

- Three brightness levels from 450 to 4,800 lumens, plus a strobe mode
- Multi-function clicky side switch with momentary activation and on/off, including a memory function to remember the last power setting used, quick access to strobe mode, and a lock-out function to avoid accidental activation
- Three CREE MK-R LEDs with separated reflectors
- Aircraft-grade aluminum body with anti-scratch type III hard anodizing
- Rechargeable lithium battery with charging port and power indicator
- Advanced thermal management and hollowed-out head structure to prevent overheating

Included Accessories

- Strap
- AC charger and power cable
- Spare O-rings
- Rechargeable lithium battery
- Carrying case

Optional Accessories: White/Red/Green/Blue filters

g322vzpyzt9.png

My impressions

you know my english is not perfect, but I hope you understand all

Pros

- Very nice packaging
- High build quality, nice scratch free anodizing, nice semi matte black surface
- Dust, fingerprint etc. free lenses and reflectors, looks very high quality
- Use rare Cree MK-R leds. Before, I have never seen this led in other flashlights
- Outstanding performance. The most powerful (lumen) flashlight what I have seen.
- Three, well spaced modes (450lm, 1500lm, 4800lm)
- Hidden strobe mode
- Has thermal management, not a simple timer as other multi-led flashlights (eg. Jetbeam DDR30, Fenix TK75)
- Perfect beam quality, same as one led flashlights (thanks to separate op reflectors)
- HUGE, impressive hotspot, very useable beam
- NO pwm and other irritating flickering, NO buzzing sound
- Nice, white tint (with slightly yellowish color)
- Battery pack, simple to use (with battery indicator) same as SR95 and SR95S UT battery pack
- Side switch (glow in the dark), reaction time is excellent
- Switch is lockable
- Very nice, thick, GITD O-rings lenses behind
- Very comfortable shoulder strap

Cons (not a real cons for me, but I can't find other things now)

- difficult to clean (head)
- the gold plated ring (only on head) slightly loose, too easy rotate

Other comment

- The battery pack is very comfortable to use, but I think an alternative battery solution would be good also, more exactly, an optional new body tube with 6*18650 battery holder would be a good idea I think. Advanced users could use own batteries.

Power supply details

Model: SW-084300
Input: 100-240 V/AC, 50/60Hz 1.5A
Output: 8.4V DC 3000mA
Mark: CE, C UL US (Listed 3TJ6 E335663)
Cable length (total): I will measure later

and pictures... more pics coming soon, incl outdoor beamshots, if you need higher res, pls click images

with Olight S10-L2, S15 and S20-L2

with Olight S20-L2 (550lm) and Foursevens Maelstrom MMU-X3 (1600lm)

Last edited:

gopajti

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight SR96 vs control (ISO100, F2.8, 1.3s) distance ~20-25m

SR96 vs Foursevens Maelstrom MMU-X3

SR96 vs Olight M22

ISO100, F2.8, 1.0s

SR96 vs Olight S20-L2

SR96 vs Fenix TK35 U2

SR96 vs Blackshadow Terminator (4*XM-L T6 NW)

SR96 vs Jetbeam DDR30

ISO100, F2.8, 0.8s

SR96 vs Fenix TK35 U2

SR96 vs Fenix TK75

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Fantastic pics:cool: certainly a beast of a light,however bang for buck the tk75 looks hard to beat for a good all round flashlight looking at the comparison pics.

HIDSGT

Enlightened
im hopn they redesign that head cause it is butt ugly! I have one too and its by far the best light I've owned. much better then this POS Supbeam X60 I just got smh.

decooney

Newly Enlightened
Edit/Update:

I've had my SR96 for a few weeks now. I'm still trying to get use to it and the beam it produces. I find it as being more useful in the under 75 yard range, lighting up everything in front and to the sides of you forward. Definitely a flood light with no specific hot spot once you get out in an open area of 25 yards or more. My buddy and I were out with his Olight SR90 and my SR96 tonight. The two lights could not be more different from each other. We were not able to take beam shots as there was a bit of cool fog in the air. I then fired up my Fenix TK70 and was pleasantly surprised how good it still is and how it produces flood and throw in a fairly balanced way. Although I like the SR96 and what it does, I'm glad I did not get rid of the TK70 for those longer range nights that require some throw an flood too.

Last edited:

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any possibility of a beamshot comparison between the SR90 and the SR96? I didn't use my SR90 a lot because it was so focused and didn't have as much spill as I would like. The SR96 looks as if it's a perfect balance for S&R.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review. I wonder why they went with 3 x MK-R instead of 3 x MT-G2? Other manufacturers are getting 2300+ OTF lumens with a single MT-G2 and have a pleasing neutral white 5000K tint. Any thoughts on why they choose these emitters?

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review. I wonder why they went with 3 x MK-R instead of 3 x MT-G2? Other manufacturers are getting 2300+ OTF lumens with a single MT-G2 and have a pleasing neutral white 5000K tint. Any thoughts on why they choose these emitters?
agreed on it being an awesome review!

as to MK-R versus MT-G2, here's my speculation: as far as I know, the SR-line from Olight is more of a search/rescue lineup (I guess that may be what the SR stands for), so I'm imagining the MT-G2 would be too floody for search purposes, while the MK-R appears to have very good throw in gopajti's beamshots, throw that I'm thinking an MT-G2 setup couldn't have achieved if they used the same size reflectors. Although the MT-G2 has a viewing angle of 115 degrees, I think that is negated by the MK-R being 1.9mm smaller on each side than the MT-G2, even though the MK-R has a wider viewing angle of 120 degrees.

I'm assuming the MT-G2 is also more power hungry.

again, this is me speculating and there's always a chance I'm wrong in my interpretation of the MT-G2 potentially being too floody compared to an MK-R in the same reflector setup, etc. I'm not an LED expert, but figured I'd chime in :)

edit: I may be wrong on this math entirely, because it seems wrong, but I think the surface area difference is 30.21mm^2 (the MT-G2's size "advantage" over the MK-R):

MT-G2 surface area: 8.9mm^2 = 79.21 sq mm
MK-R surface area: 7mm^2 = 49 sq mm

MT-G2/MK-R surface area difference: 79.21 sq mm - 49 sq mm = 30.21 sq mm

Last edited:

gopajti

Flashlight Enthusiast
second post updated, added more beamshot comparison

Last edited:

Joe_torch

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the nice beam shots.
Between the SR96 & the MM15, which one has a wider beam?