Olight x7 marauder vs thrunite tn36ut

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stock to stock; and/or Vinh54 mod to Vin54 mod?

Timing: TN36UT was released like way so much first, so the X7 is for peoples who want a very comprehensive pop can flooder collection, and/or are Olight devotees who want the Olight pop can offering, way after several others have already been on the market. I would love to add the X7 to my collection, but I am working on the three and a half inch diameter lights part of my collection at the moment.

Vin54 mod: Vinh boosted the TN36UT from a puny 7000 lumens, to 13,400 lumens, much as I had optimistically predicted, shortly after the TN36UT was released.

My guess is that Vinh can boost the X7 up like way so much, too.

I am sure that the build quality and reliability of the Olight offering is very, very nice.

I am sure that the beam profiles of these two fine and interesting lights are very similar.

For me, the question is how much Vinh can boost up the X7. Of course, the boost modified light can be run on sub-turbo levels for longer time, per heat and power constraints.

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
Stock to stock; and/or Vinh54 mod to Vin54 mod?

Timing: TN36UT was released like way so much first, so the X7 is for peoples who want a very comprehensive pop can flooder collection, and/or are Olight devotees who want the Olight pop can offering, way after several others have already been on the market. I would love to add the X7 to my collection, but I am working on the three and a half inch diameter lights part of my collection at the moment.

Vin54 mod: Vinh boosted the TN36UT from a puny 7000 lumens, to 13,400 lumens, much as I had optimistically predicted, shortly after the TN36UT was released.

My guess is that Vinh can boost the X7 up like way so much, too.

I am sure that the build quality and reliability of the Olight offering is very, very nice.

I am sure that the beam profiles of these two fine and interesting lights are very similar.

For me, the question is how much Vinh can boost up the X7. Of course, the boost modified light can be run on sub-turbo levels for longer time, per heat and power constraints.
Of course valid questions with exciting answers but I was more interested initially in the stock models and their comparative build quality and other side by side fisticuffs...olight seems the more reliable offering to me but...well...i don't find olights v sexy...perhaps I need to seek help if I am finding thrunites sexy haha

Wendee

Enlightened
Sometimes it helps to put on paper the specs of each light, the pros & cons of both lights and your general feeling towards each (based on posts you've read, beamshots/videos you've watched).

Have you done any research on the lights? If so, what are your thoughts? You're asking for other's to post their thoughts without posting your own thoughts on the lights. :thinking: :shrug:

ven

Flashaholic
As much as I like the x7 it needs a better driver. I mean 2 presses for turbo then two more for turboS mode......no thanks .

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
Sometimes it helps to put on paper the specs of each light, the pros & cons of both lights and your general feeling towards each (based on posts you've read, beamshots/videos you've watched).

Have you done any research on the lights? If so, what are your thoughts? You're asking for other's to post their thoughts without posting your own thoughts on the lights. :thinking: :shrug:
My thoughts are I want the tn36...despite a flash sale atm it is still £150 and that seems a lot of money to spend on something that has very mixed reviews online...but still I don't think I can NOT get it....then along comes the olight from....what seems....to be a slightly more reliable company (apologies if this is not the case) despite what the olight can do the actual torch itself looks well....nothing special.

Lumenwolf

Enlightened
My thoughts are I want the tn36...despite a flash sale atm it is still £150 and that seems a lot of money to spend on something that has very mixed reviews online...but still I don't think I can NOT get it....then along comes the olight from....what seems....to be a slightly more reliable company (apologies if this is not the case) despite what the olight can do the actual torch itself looks well....nothing special.

I like the look of this light too but I better wait for my R50vn to arrive first. Keep checking but Vinh hasn't despatched yet but I guess he's busy. Any idea how long it takes for a parcel to land in the U.K. From USA?

ven

Flashaholic
Have you had shipping notice? once you get that allow around 8 days on average, can obv take a couple of days longer so USPS dependent.

Wendee

Enlightened

"despite what the olight can do the actual torch itself looks well....nothing special"? I've never based a light purchase on the looks of the light, so I can't relate. As a matter of fact, my first 18650 light was a Zebralight which in my opinion, is the most unattractive flashlight I had to chose from. Since then I bought my first headlamp which is also a Zebralight and again, the most unattractive headlamp I had to chose from. I can't imagine making a decision based on the looks of a light but that's just me. Maybe I'm not understanding what you wrote so I'll stop here and let someone else offer some input. :sigh:

Last edited:

Lumenwolf

Enlightened
Have you had shipping notice? once you get that allow around 8 days on average, can obv take a couple of days longer so USPS dependent.

Not yet but it's only been a week, it's just me being impatient and excited to receive it, i known Vinh is busy so will just wait.

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
"despite what the olight can do the actual torch itself looks well....nothing special"? I've never based a light purchase on the looks of the light, so I can't relate. As a matter of fact, my first 18650 light was a Zebralight which in my opinion, is the most unattractive flashlight I had to chose from. Since then I bought my first headlamp which is also a Zebralight and again, the most unattractive headlamp I had to chose from. I can't imagine making a decision based on the looks of a light but that's just me. Maybe I'm not understanding what you wrote so I'll stop here and let someone else offer some input. :sigh:
No no you did understand, you just don't understand haha. It is a shallow thing I speak of and by no means is it the most important thing but it is a thing none the less. I pick up a thrunite and it just looks and feels great compared to some others. You get your haircut a certain way partly through practicality (you wouldn't have a 3 foot fringe and shaved at the back) but also because of the way it looks and makes you look...I'm bald as Dr Evils b*llocks so I don't get to choose my hairstyle...but I can choose my torch hehe

mntbighker

Newly Enlightened
Anybody see the thermal imagery of the x7 vs two other lights on YT? The X7 really seems to distribute heat well. Though I'm no expert on interpreting that stuff. It's pretty interesting to watch the lights heat up in turbo mode.

rotts4u

Newly Enlightened
As much as I like the x7 it needs a better driver. I mean 2 presses for turbo then two more for turboS mode......no thanks .

I agree and the lock unlock function makes it even worse. I had to take the batteries out two different times to get it back in operation again. The switch is real quirky to me

megabrightlite

Newly Enlightened
No no you did understand, you just don't understand haha. It is a shallow thing I speak of and by no means is it the most important thing but it is a thing none the less. I pick up a thrunite and it just looks and feels great compared to some others. You get your haircut a certain way partly through practicality (you wouldn't have a 3 foot fringe and shaved at the back) but also because of the way it looks and makes you look...I'm bald as Dr Evils b*llocks so I don't get to choose my hairstyle...but I can choose my torch hehe

I however totally understand the looks thing, I've always been that way to a fault but mostly happy that way from what I choose in my vehicles, what and where I live, right down to my beautiful wife. Actually a friend once said to me, "all show and no go" obviously he never drove a 911.

That said, I ordered the Nitecore TM28 6,000 Lumen, to me, you don't get any cooler looking, but the specs seem to match its high end looks and functions.:santa:

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
I however totally understand the looks thing, I've always been that way to a fault but mostly happy that way from what I choose in my vehicles, what and where I live, right down to my beautiful wife. Actually a friend once said to me, "all show and no go" obviously he never drove a 911.

That said, I ordered the Nitecore TM28 6,000 Lumen, to me, you don't get any cooler looking, but the specs seem to match its high end looks and functions.:santa:
I hope the all show no go comment wasn't including your wife? Otherwise I'd have aimed the Porsche at him if had been me Haha.

See the nitecore tm28....for me...and for my 12yr old living inside me (who saw a van painted exactly like the A-Teams yesterday and it made my week) has the look of something out of batman...whilst it looks v sexy...I would always be disappointed that one of the four barrels didn't have a grappling hook launcher hidden within, another a capture net and the third a missle launcher...but that's just my own twisted little mind...I may seek help in the new year! [emoji57]

harro

Enlightened
The X7 has a few little quirks. LED's centered with slots and not centering discs. Mine came with three horribly off center LED's, later sorted with a bit of elbow grease, an arthritis sufferers rubber jar lid opener, and twisting on the bezel/reflector just enough to re-center the LED's. A tendency to be a bit finicky about what its fed with, and as others have mentioned, a bit of a journey to get to Turbo S ( personal view, I guess ). The 9,000 Lumens is great, but enjoy while it's there, cause it doesn't run for too long on a charge. Turbo is somewhat more obliging with a much better runtime. Mind you, when you see that 9klm output, it really is WOW. The tint from the three X-HP70's is sort of neutralish, tending to cool, quite pleasant to me. Would I buy one again?, probably.
I don't own a TN36, but to me, it looks a bit more thought out, than the X7. Even though it ONLY puts out a mere 7300 lumens, that's smack in the middle of Turbo and Turbo S on the X7, nothing to be sneezed at. While some dislike the whole ' POP CAN ' thing, I personally don't mind the format, but you pays your money and you makes your choices re that.

:grin2:

PhcUmTX.jpg

120 Meters to the end of the street.

Last edited: