OMG Lumens EDC Project

BMF

Enlightened
Any "leaks" you can let us in on to keep us salivating?:laughing:

I'm not sure it will work or not: you can move close to his house (Indiana to Texas) and work for him on DEFT project so he might show you something about The Black Tie :crackup:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any "leaks" you can let us in on to keep us salivating?:laughing:
Hmmm.....well I don't mind telling you the materials. Carbon fiber, 7075 aluminum, and plated copper. I have a mock-up I am playing with to confirm button placement and feel in the hand. So far I am happy with the transition of 2D to 3D. Looks like I am going to have to get batteries custom made. I could go with off the shelf units but I have the shape and size I want and the off the shelf solution would compromise run-time slightly. People are paying enough for this light that I feel I should not make compromises if at all possible.

Kapak

Newly Enlightened
What is the compromise on runtime? I mean, if it's 10 minutes out of 60 minutes, I wouldn't mind getting an off the shelf battery that I can eventually replace myself in the future. I would understand with the shape and size as well, but I really like to know that in 8-10 years from now I will have batteries I can put back in.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed. Depending on the sacrifice in runtime, as long as ergo stays how you desire, it might not be that bad a thing. I do not consider it a compromise if I know i can replace battereis and possibly run primaries if neccesary.
Then again, if it changes ergo or cuts runtime by some huge margin, my opinion (for whatever it is worth at this point) would likely change.

Can't wait to see/hear/read more!

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the compromise on runtime? I mean, if it's 10 minutes out of 60 minutes, I wouldn't mind getting an off the shelf battery that I can eventually replace myself in the future. I would understand with the shape and size as well, but I really like to know that in 8-10 years from now I will have batteries I can put back in.
The compromise in battery capacity appears to be from 400-800mAh. That is fairly significant in my opinion. I won't know for sure the exact difference until I take it the next step forward and contact the manufacturer. Don't worry you will still be able to go and buy a battery off the shelf and have it fit it just will not fill the alloted space fully.

Last edited:

ChrisDallas

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure it will work or not: you can move close to his house (Indiana to Texas) and work for him on DEFT project so he might show you something about The Black Tie :crackup:

How did you get ahead of me on that list? hmmmmm...

Gotta learn your secrets for his next project.