Once again - Another EDC thread! - [LED/Selectable/PocketClip/Any Battery/$100]

Afroderp

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks.

The checklist should narrow it down quite a bit, but I am looking for a new light to add to my EDC. I've had a 5.11 tactical A.T.A.C penlight and a surefire stylus pro, but I feel like it is time to upgrade to something stronger than 69 lumens. I like the greater spread of light from the ATAC over a strong spot from the surefire, but I want something with range as well. I'd like a selectable mode switch on the tail, and I do NOT like the ones that you can select by rotating the head quarter turns. I need a pocket clip, and I want something I can throw into my pocket, so nothing gigantic. As far as battery power goes, something conventional like AA's are easier, but I am absolutely okay and open to any other options such as CR123 and anything else. I can already tell that this is going to be an addictive hobby!

Thanks in advance!

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

- This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

- Up to $100.

3) Format:

- I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

- SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

- LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

- I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use? [Any of these work. I just don't want anything crazy exotic]

- I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
- I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).
- I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
- I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option [Once again, anything will work. Just cost prohibitive, really.]

- I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience). [I want the ability to choose levels, but I would like something with a max output of at least 200 lumens, if not more. Depends on size factor and availability, obviously.)

- I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
- SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

- Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
- Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

- Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
- 5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
- 30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
- 50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

- 90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
- 3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

- Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

- Any size switch will do.
- I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
- I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
- I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
- I don't know.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply. [A strobe is not essential, but something that I would like to have. Same with the multiple light levels. Realistically, I only need two levels; Close range/Long range. I would like a selector ring, however]

- I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
- I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
- I want a selector ring.
- (optional) I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")

14)Material/Finish/Coating

- Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
- Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
- Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
- I don't care.

15) Water resistance [Would need to resist rain.]

- IPX4 (Splash resistant)
- IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)

16) Storage conditions

- In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

- Pocket/belt clip
- [not necessary] Crenulated bezel

Afroderp

Newly Enlightened
If it means anything, I'm really digging the Fenix PD35 for it's light pattern (more flood than spot), lumen output, side switch and pocket clip.

Anything else similar I can look at?

The Burgh

Newly Enlightened
Ditto on the PD35. But...

... I'll through in two (small) wildcard EDCs that are worth more than casual investigation and are outside of the mainstream disuscussions I read on CPF: Xtar WK41 Sirius ($36) and Spark SF5 ($50). You can read their specs., marketing stuff and reviews for yourself. Suffice to write that they more than exceeded my expectations (and I think your checklist), had unique features, are small and well built and both of them accept both primary and rechargeable cells.

Did I mention that they are FUN?

Afroderp

Newly Enlightened
Ditto on the PD35. But...

... I'll through in two (small) wildcard EDCs that are worth more than casual investigation and are outside of the mainstream disuscussions I read on CPF: Xtar WK41 Sirius ($36) and Spark SF5 ($50). You can read their specs., marketing stuff and reviews for yourself. Suffice to write that they more than exceeded my expectations (and I think your checklist), had unique features, are small and well built and both of them accept both primary and rechargeable cells.

Did I mention that they are FUN?

that Xtar seems like a very stout light for the price and memory is almost essential for me too, which it has. Will definitely have to do some more research.

mthayr

Newly Enlightened
EDC ExecutiveTM Flashlights

Best light for the money - build quality is the best (IMO) for any production light.

Link removed as per the banner at the top of the page
Why has my link been removed? - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

Afroderp

Newly Enlightened
EDC ExecutiveTM Flashlights

Best light for the money - build quality is the best (IMO) for any production light.

Link removed as per the banner at the top of the page
Why has my link been removed? - Norm

As I was reading threads, this does seem to be a very highly rated light that a lot of folks enjoy. I love how small it is, also.

May I ask your personal opinion on the light throw and spill? I want something that isn't exactly a super sharp spot. Can you comment on this?

Edit: I also like the Nitecore P12 as an option. Seems versatile for the money.

Last edited:

Afroderp

Newly Enlightened
Okay, found out another ESSENTIAL item for me.

Must have
a momentary on ability.

Would also LOVE to find something with a deep carry clip.

I was looking at the EagleTac D25C and was very saddened that it didn't have momentary on and was only reverse clicky.

So to sum this up more concisely -

- Pocket Clip (Would love a deep carry clip)
- Momentary On
- ~$100
- Any battery
- Mode SWITCH (No head twist.)
- ~200-300 Lumens
- More flood preferable
- Easy to throw in a pocket.

Last edited:

Afroderp

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the suggestion.

I absolutely love that pocket clip, but the one I want is sold out! (Tactical - Comes on high first).

I also like the fact that you can run the AA version on 14500's and get 400 lumens out of it. That being said, the low mode gets increased to unusably bright for close distances. I need a greater disparity between high and low modes.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately with the Malkoff's, you have to choose between high and low voltage cells - Gene's lights will not run both 14500 and AAs. If you have considered the D25C, which DOES have a head twist UI, then perhaps you should also look at the Quark low voltage XML with an optional 1XAA body and deep pocket carry clip. Then you can also consider the Pro UI (multimode) or Tac UI (programmable 2 mode) and also an optional forward clicky for the Pro UI.

The LV Quarks FULLY support all battery chemistries with excellent regulation in single cell form, and you can choose different battery tubes (except the 18650) for them.... I run 14500s, 3V CRAAs in my 1xAA for ~350 lms, or Eneloops/Alks/L91 for half that.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it the Fenix that has a deep clip? Or Four Sevens?

i love my P12 Nitecore but use it with a slightly modified NiteIze headstrap. The clip is not acceptable for me. It has nice throw and plenty of flood but there are more floody lights out there (ZebraLight)

The one Xtar I use is a really good light with a tint as good as the P12, uses 14500 only and a not very low moonlight but is more of a spot with less spill. WK26(?) and I use a headstrap. Don't think it has a clip.

The ZebraLight SC52 and SC62d have good clips but not deep pocket. They are small enough to be secure in pocket, however.

There are other models that I don't know about plus you could go really nice with a shorty Oveready with a deep clip but that busts your budget unless you buy used. They use 17-18 mm batteries as well, perhaps larger diameter than you were looking for.

Last edited:

Afroderp

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately with the Malkoff's, you have to choose between high and low voltage cells - Gene's lights will not run both 14500 and AAs. If you have considered the D25C, which DOES have a head twist UI, then perhaps you should also look at the Quark low voltage XML with an optional 1XAA body and deep pocket carry clip. Then you can also consider the Pro UI (multimode) or Tac UI (programmable 2 mode) and also an optional forward clicky for the Pro UI.

The LV Quarks FULLY support all battery chemistries with excellent regulation in single cell form, and you can choose different battery tubes (except the 18650) for them.... I run 14500s, 3V CRAAs in my 1xAA for ~350 lms, or Eneloops/Alks/L91 for half that.

Thank you for the reply. For some reason, I didn't even put it together that I could just put together a flashlight using parts on the Foursevens page to build what I want!

(After reading up some, I should
- Buy a Quark Tactical QTA with tactical UI, throw a deep pocket clip on it, a 14500 and be done? Do those things really push that much power with a 14500?)

Last edited:
Quarks are about 280 lumens from 14500. If you want more, with more flood, you can get a QAAX (sometimes called QT2AX - 2 AA X model with XML2) and the 1aa body. These run over 350 lumens on a single 14500 with lots of flood and decent throw. This is my EDC most of the time.

Afroderp

Newly Enlightened
Quarks are about 280 lumens from 14500. If you want more, with more flood, you can get a QAAX (sometimes called QT2AX - 2 AA X model with XML2) and the 1aa body. These run over 350 lumens on a single 14500 with lots of flood and decent throw. This is my EDC most of the time.

That sounds like a great option. Tons of power in a tiny package. It's a shame they are backordered!

I can't imagine with a 14500 you get much runtime at 350 lumens. About how much do you see?

Afroderp

Newly Enlightened
The QAAX driver draws a little over 1a from the cell, so you're looking at maybe 40min on max. I charge mine every few days just to be safe.

Thanks for the helpful info!

I guess I will just have to get used to the twisty head thing. It seems like such a good light, I just hate that head twist shenanigans.

Also, what 14500's do you use? I know sometimes protected cells don't fit into some lights because they are longer.

Last edited:

Afroderp

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore P12

I like the P12 and the PD35 a lot.

The only thing I don't like is how fast they both step down on turbo mode; 3 minutes for the P12 and 5 minutes for the PD35.

While it's not a huge issue, I wish it wasn't so damn fast.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few QT2A-Xs are available at goinggear for $65 w /disc, only 47s carries the accessory parts though (1AA tube, deep pocket carry clip, etc). Their tubes will accommodate any cell (I run AW and Eagletac 14500s with plenty of room). Note the Xs do step down though - from ~350 > 250 (or 420 > 320 on a ZL/SB scale) at ~3mins (but you wouldn't even notice without a light meter).

Latest posts