One EDC flashlight to rule them all.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
for the OP, interested in ti to rule them all.. some visuals from this old thread:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?379750-Some-titanium-flashlights-for-sale

I have some titanium lights for sale

1) McGizmo Ti PD-S -- original, mint condition. Never carried -- now $650.00 SPF

McGizmoTiPD-S01.jpg

McGizmoTiPD-S02.jpg

McGizmoTiPD-S03.jpg

2) McGizmo LS27 with Ti "C" Pak -- original, mint condition -- now $700.00 SPF

McGizmoLS27ClickyPak01-1.jpg

McGizmoLS27ClickyPak02-1.jpg

3) McGizmo Makai with rare titanium Pineapple body and titanium clicky tail -- near mint, never carried. Takes 1x 17670 cell -- $620 shipped

McGizmoMakaiTiPineapplebody01a.jpg

McGizmoMakaiTiPineapplebody02a.jpg

*Have some project idea for this light for it's off the market for now. If you are interested in this, send me a PM

Adding these...

4) McGizmo XR-19PD -- ALL original & mint -- $575 shipped SOLD to 59ride

McGizmoXR-19PD01.jpg

McGizmoXR-19PD02.jpg

McGizmoXR-19PD03.jpg

5) Mirage Man 27mm 18650 Fatty -- never carried -- $950--More info here

6) Mirage Man 19mm Fatty -- ALL original & never carried -- now $600 *refer to post #15 for 18650 tube bundle option

MirageMan27amp19mmFatty01a.jpg

Mirage Man 27mm 18650 Fatty

MirageMan27mm18650Fatty06a.jpg

Mirage Man 19mm Fatty

MirageManFatty06a.jpg

Comparison between a McGizmo Ti PD-S and Mirage Man Fatty -- the heft of this light really needs to be felt in your hand!

McGizmoTiPD-SvsMirageManFatty01a.jpg

* Note: a rare, matching 18650 tube is available to the buyer of this light. Please see the posting below

7) Cool Fall Tri-V2 SWGG -- lightly carried almost zero wear, near mint condition -- $2,250 SOLD & shipped to SOYCD

- brand new it will cost over well over $2,800 incl shipping
- incl a Mohan's titanium raised button with 3 trits
- incl a titanium opening bead
- incl a premium leather finger grip
- more info: Tri-V2 Info, Tri-V2 Sales Thread
- There will be no additional PayPal fee. However if you're paying via PayPal, I will only ship to your PayPal confirmed address

CoolFallTri-V201a.jpg

CoolFallTri-V202a.jpg

CoolFallTri-V203a.jpg

Note: All Rights Reserved. All photos are copyright protected and may not be reproduced elsewhere.

personally, I think Gold plate over aluminum would be cool, less heavy, more Oligodynamic

I also like Copper Plate, and Brass Plate:
OiyMQgF.jpg

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, fun Gizmos
for your stated beam goals, the Haiku is probably the one

but just to show a couple other beam types, an Aspheric and a Mule..

here is imo a very informative video about the Sundrop beam benefits, contrasted to the merits of a beam with a hotspot for different applications

and one about a mule w AA body

the AA arguably pocket carries more easily, is less bulky, than a CR123, which although shorter, is fatter

there is still a bunch of info to be sorted about which light engine to pair with which Head, with which battery type..

good luck with your search
I hope you share your impressions of whatever you end up getting

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
to Glow or not to Glow

My new Ti Rotary Jetbeam TCR-1 w N219b 4500k 9080, mod by CRX:
5qQDzjG.png

which outfit do you like better?:)
UfChi5s.png

Last edited:

pol77

Newly Enlightened
jon_slider, that is a very good answer to my original question. If only I could get my hands on one of these... If you see any for sale, please ping me a link!

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I am now after, is the one, ultimate EDC flashlight, or as close to it as there is.

So why not ask the experts? Here goes:

I want the build quality / beam quality / looks/ attention to detail of the McGizmo Haiku.
I want at 500lm minimum.
I want high CRI and neutral color temperature.
I want a pocketable size, so definitely smaller than the Haiku. I would say the size of the Mechtorch is the absolute maximum.
I want titanium.

So, is there a flashlight that ticks all the boxes out there? I need to know how much I need to start saving up for...

With more experience, you will realize a few additional things are important:

1. no need for 500 lumens in a pocket EDC flashlight
2. runtime is preferred over lumens
3. ability to program a choice of multiple lumen levels, including moonlight, and sequence
4. use of primary and rechargeable batteries
5. ergonomics
6. lifetime warranty important
7. quality and dependability

Answer: HDS - 16 Ti Rotarys ($1,230 plus $15 shipping) are coming up for sale on April 29th and I predict they will sell out in less than 20 minutes.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
With more experience, you will realize a few additional things are important:

1. no need for 500 lumens in a pocket EDC flashlight

Only for around-the-house and casual use outdoors. Otherwise, I have found having over 1000 lumens to be extremely useful outdoors, for limited use. Especially with a bit of throw, like on the Zebralight SC600w HI. While it's true that I'm using less than 100 lumens over 95% of the time, having a good max output is very useful for spotting stuff at moderate distance.

2. runtime is preferred over lumens
3. ability to program a choice of multiple lumen levels, including moonlight, and sequence

Agreed.

4. use of primary and rechargeable batteries

Disagree, unless there is a very specific need, such as operation at -40 degrees or extreme long-term storage. Otherwise, rechargeable is the only way to go. Primaries are a total waste.

5. ergonomics

Yup.

6. lifetime warranty important
7. quality and dependability

Nope, only #7 is important. Lifetime warranties are only good for the "lifetime of the company". See 4sevens as an example. Besides, there's is the expense and hassle of shipping, and you're without a light for potentially months. No, thanks. Just give me a great 30-day return policy, and I'm happy. Anything extra, and I probably won't use it anyway.

Answer: HDS - 16 Ti Rotarys ($1,230 plus $15 shipping) are coming up for sale on April 29th and I predict they will sell out in less than 20 minutes.

Okay, you forgot:

8. Break your bank account.

But. more seriously,

9. Small size and weight. There's no point in having a great light if it's too big and clunky to comfortably EDC. I've found that any 18650 light larger than my Zebralights or a DQG tiny light, is too big to EDC. Otherwise, stick with AA or AAA. I've got tons of 18650 lights, and they all sit on a shelf for use just around the house.

Last edited:

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Actually 47s warranty isn't totally dead. Jason at Prometheus lights is still providing a level of coverage even though he didn't own the company at the time.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
9. Small size and weight. There's no point in having a great light if it's too big and clunky to comfortably EDC.

Thank you for your post. All of your points are valid. I would only suggest that this last bit is subjective. I have relatively large hands and I never claimed to be graceful. For me, anything smaller than a 1CR123 HDS is in butter finger territory. I need all of the surface area of the HDS in order to wield the flashlight. Tiny lights just don't work for me unless they are on a necklace. YMMV and all of that jazz.

bignc

Enlightened
Agree with Modern. My hands are enormous, apparently so overall length has to be JUST right. Also, I would add ruggedness to #7. Definitely owned some dependable lights that weren't rugged enough!

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
GOTk1Mhl.png

fyrstormer said:
… this may be the most durable light design ever created -- …
It's made of a strong metal with no surface coating to chip off, and all of the electrical parts are non-moving. There is no clicky-switch to wear out, the threads are not used as part of the twisty-switch mechanism, and the brightness control operates by way of a contactless magnetic sensor. No matter how much the moving parts wear down, they won't stop working, and there are no small parts to break. Even if the spring-loaded-ball that provides friction for the ring were to wear down completely and fall out, the magnetic sensor that senses the position of the ring would continue to work. This light could very well last for decades of daily use.

nightshade

Enlightened
Love the RRT design, rugged but its got weak spots too. My first failure was back when I was working. I was surrounded by gypsum and drywall crews, by day 4 of looking into recently floated walls, gypsum dust froze the ring. The grease was ruined and ball had partially corroded.
I repaired another from a friend who is a decorative metal artist. Hers had absorbed too much direct heat and too many drops, rendering one ring magnet useless. I wont take my magnetic ring lights into the saltwater I love to fish in anymore. The saltwater wrecks havok on every aspect of the ring, in short order. Great lights, I'm keeping mine, but like everything ,YMMV.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
... gypsum dust froze the ring. The grease was ruined and ball had partially corroded. ... saltwater wreaks havoc on every aspect of the ring

good warnings..

Archibald Tuttle said:
Great lights, just keep them out of salt water, and sheetrock dust or other fine particulate such as beach sand or crushed coral. It will bind them up, big time. The ring grease allows the salt water to sit and do nasty things to the detent ball and spring.

moral of the story
dont take your titanium rotary diving nor drywalling.. dont bury it in the sand, and dont use it under muddy water either

LedTed

Enlightened
Even with all the quality and procurement problems, the LuminTop FWXX, with its greatly diverse UI and various emitter choices - has the potential to be "the one". They just need to keep from cheeping out, add a little robustness, and actually be obtainable.

Lateck

Newly Enlightened
All "The Boxes" the OP and many here say are different for each person. There are a great many lights listed and I am sure they all meet the needs of their owners. I care an OLight Baton 1 in my pocket daily. It meets my needs.
But, any light is good, as long as it is on you when you need it.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
boo5ted, what is the last light in your post? The one with the metal button.

thats the Titanium version of the Lumintop FW3 (FW3T)
click for a review
It uses the Anduril electronic ramping UI, which includes low voltage protection thermal protection, and many other features.

All "The Boxes" ... are different

I agree
I have different lights for different boxes :)

eg
A Titanium clicky rules for drywalling
A Titanium Rotary rules for the office

Last edited: