Opinions Please Surefire G2 with Cree

lightinsky

Enlightened
I've got a G2 with an Cree P4. Does anyone know how long you can run a P4 in an all nitrolin G2 without affecting the led? Thanks in advance.

jbviau

Enlightened
I have the same set-up. Most people say 10-15 minutes should be your upper limit for continuous usage. On Gene Malkoff's site, 15 minutes is listed as the max for one of his drop-ins in a G2, and his use brighter emitters (Q4 or Q5, I think). I've run my P4 in a G2 for 10 minutes before without any effect on output.

lightinsky

Enlightened
I have the same set-up. Most people say 10-15 minutes should be your upper limit for continuous usage. On Gene Malkoff's site, 15 minutes is listed as the max for one of his drop-ins in a G2, and his use brighter emitters (Q4 or Q5, I think). I've run my P4 in a G2 for 10 minutes before without any effect on output.

So 10-15 minutes is safe for a P4 in a G2 nitrolin. Great to know. Thanks for the tip.

matt0

Enlightened
It really depends what kind of current the driver is sending to the emitter.

I let my M60LL run for about 6hrs straight once in a G2 with no heat or decline in output. :twothumbs

lightinsky

Enlightened
It really depends what kind of current the driver is sending to the emitter.

I let my M60LL run for about 6hrs straight once in a G2 with no heat or decline in output. :twothumbs

The drop in I have is the DX Cree XRE P4 which is rated for 900 mAh. I think it is approx. 100-140 lumens.

Optik49

Enlightened
If you are going to use it for an extended amount time, switch the head to a metal one. It will help with the heat.

lightinsky

Enlightened
If you are going to use it for an extended amount time, switch the head to a metal one. It will help with the heat.

Yes definitely. I guess I won't run it too long in the nitrolin head as a precautionary. I can always switch back to the aluminum head if need be.
I just like the all nitrolin look and feel especially in cold New England here.

jbviau

Enlightened
As an alternative to switching heads you could also look into getting a tailcap (or a new drop-in) that gives you a low or medium mode for extended use.

Optik49

Enlightened
I carry a SF G2Z but I removed the led, gave it to a friend and added a Malkoff drop-in. I had it running 25 minutes with no problem to the LED. Oh ya in the cold New England the nitrolin does help.

Last edited:

lightinsky

Enlightened
I carry a SF G2Z but I removed the led, gave it to a friend and added a Malkoff drop-in. I had it running 25 minutes with no problem to the LED. Oh ya in the cold New England the nitrolin does help.

Glad I'm not the only freezing my self off here in New England but then again having a high output light in hand helps warm you up real quick lol.

By the way which Malkoff drop in do you have and how many lumens is it?