Orb Wee Competitors?

mousehunter

Newly Enlightened
I have bought a couple peak cr2 lights. I have liked their quality - but I don't think they are designed to go toe to toe with orbs.

MKLight

Enlightened
They are different, but the closest thing right now in size with an affordable-to-most price range. I have several Peaks and two Lummi's. They are definitely different beasts. A Peak you can throw around, the Lummi's you want to baby more...lol :p

Good luck!
Mike

I have bought a couple peak cr2 lights. I have liked their quality - but I don't think they are designed to go toe to toe with orbs.

MKLight

Enlightened
I have the 50lm in natural white. I love it. From reading reviews, I also have a 25lm in transit right now. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works. I chose the 50 over the 100 mainly because of runtime. If you search "Orb review" you'll find some at least one out there that compares the 100 (or it may have been the 80lm) to 50. From the pics, it didn't seem like there was much of a difference. My 50 gets warm, but definitely not uncomfortably so. The runtime (in a non-scientific way) was around 35-40 minutes.

dang it!!!!! the prices are in pounds. sent an e-mail. i want one NOW.....
not to hijack this thread but, need suggestions... i know i would like to have 2 stages but if not should i get the 25/ 50/ or 100 lumin pill? 25 sounds good and more is not always better.
there could be anxious days ahead.
DANGIT!!!

The 20/200 Raw NS is very useful. I find I use the low mode more often than the 200...but the 200lm is cool to have...definitely a "WOW" factor to it.

The 100 will heat up too quickly to be used for anything more than a "wow your friends" or a burst light. The 25 lumen is more than adequate for seeing behind computers, finding dropped keys at night, etc, and doesn't give out so much heat as to make it unholdable after 10 minutes runtime. If you want more, go for a raw; the multi-stage is dead handy as you get screaming high and a useful, cool running low, depending on what you need.

Best of luck!
Mike

sappyg

Enlightened
MKLight,
having established a team of research annalists to establish the viability and usefulness of orb/ lummi it has been determined that the RAW ns is the way of the future.
i'm completely impressed with the RAW... not to overlook the WEE but for now i plan to be weeless.

MKLight

Enlightened
sappyg,

lol The Raw is cool! I couldn't decide either...I went for both on special. I felt like I was getting a bargain! :) Full boat on the Raw (but I disappointingly wasn't able to get the trits) and 50% off on the Wee (with trits). I've had both for almost 2 months and still haven't totally made up my mind. When I want convenience, I carry the Raw...the 2 modes are very useful. I'm not sure why I carry the Wee, but I do...and sometimes I carry them both together. lol I ended up putting the lanyards on. The Wee is too small not to have something attached to it. And the Raw is easier to use with a lanyard. Gives is more gripping power.

Have fun with your new Raw! I know you will enjoy it! :thumbsup:

Thanks,
Mike

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks tsask!

I am loving it!

I am totally going to order a 50 or 25 lumen model. Which do you recommend? Also, I did get the warm and I am in love with it. It is insanely warm, like an incan. I am incredibly impressed. What a great light!

:twothumbs

way to go! I would suggest BOTH. :party:Tell Rob at Orb/Lummi I pointed you in the right direction. (he'll know my CPF name)
hope you got the trint locators

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I'm going to need to pull trigger on the 25 or 50lm pill... The thing is, though, the Wee seems a lot less bright because it is all flood. And, while I ADORE the warm/neutral tint (you guys HAVE to see it if you have a chance--it looks like an incan and the colors really pop with it!), I suspect that it is actually a bit dimmer.

That said, I wonder if you don't need something quite that small, if you'd consider the Fenix LD01. I have it in black and am awaiting stainless steel... I think that it is pretty small and exceedingly bright! Also, it uses a more common cell and on Eneloops is very safe and has a super long runtime...

Let us know what you do!

p.s. tsask I may well order both (and a Lummi pen to help fund the next generation!) and I will totally mention you to Rob!

Last edited:

pertinax

Enlightened
The Raw NS has a fabulous hot spot, but it was so heavy it was beating up my dashboard. The Draco is much smaller, essentially the same brightness, but without the throw. More importantly for a keychain, it's 1/3 the weight. Three times the price though...

Both are stunning-- you won't meet anyone outside of CPF that has ever seen anything that bright in such a tiny package. At this point in time, most people don't own a flashlight that bright, of ANY size.

Pertinax

Last edited:

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Raw NS has a fabulous hot spot, but it was so heavy it was beating up my dashboard. The Draco is much smaller, essentially the same brightness, but without the throw. More importantly for a keychain, it's 1/3 the weight. Three times the price though...

Both are stunning-- you won't meet anyone outside of CPF that has ever seen anything that bright in such a tiny package. At this point in time, most people don't own a flashlight that bright, of ANY size.

Pertinax

I have a Raw AL and compared to my Raw NS it is as light as a feather

easilyled

Flashaholic
If you look in the Lummi subforum, Rob is planning to make a compact 123-sized light available soon.

But wait, that's not all! :caution:

He is planning to make these lights available with SSC-P7 or CREE-MCE leds with the result that
they output an absolutely mind-bogglingly obscene amount of light. :devil:

:poof:

sappyg

Enlightened
my bberry woke me up at 5 am. this morning. it was Rob responding to my e-mail (i forgot about the time zone). he gave me a good run down on how the exchange from GBP to $ worked. that was a relief and all i needed to pull the trigger.
i ordered the RAW NS with the warmer tint and an extra batt. i got a receipt right away and another e-mail from Rob that my order would ship in 5-7 days. that's personal treatment that you can appreciate. i like the WEE and i'll have to have one of those too but just can't swing it for each of them at this time.
for the past 2 weeks i've been looking for an aaa light and had nearly ordered an LF2. man am i glad this thread popped up! if this RAW NS is as good as i think it is i just may retire all but a very few EDC lights.

MKLight

Enlightened
sappyg,

Congrats on the purchase! :twothumbs Once shipped, it should take a few days to a couple weeks, at max...

Enjoy!
Mike

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoo hooo!

Enjoy and congrats! Please post some shots of your new little buddy when you receive it.

:thumbsup:

182_blue

Newly Enlightened
ooops, looks like i accidentally just ordered a wee ti LOL :whistle:

cant wait to get it now :)

182_blue

Newly Enlightened
cant wait for it to come, i nearly accidentally ordered the Raw Ti too (the special deal)

sappyg

Enlightened
i'm having buyers remorse..... i'm kicking myself for not ordering the the WEE when i ordered the RAW. just think of all the money i woulld have saved. :broke:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm having buyers remorse..... i'm kicking myself for not ordering the the WEE when i ordered the RAW. just think of all the money i woulld have saved. :broke:

Drop rob an email and see what he says. You're actually talking to the guy who runs the show when you email him, not some faceless CS rep, which is nice, and means he can do a lot more :)