Osram Night Breaker PLUS???

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened

I recently got an ad from Powerbulbs (part of it reproduced below), hyping the Osram Night Breaker PLUS. Lots of great claims there, but I looked at the bulbs offered, did the "click to enlarge image" and saw what looked like blue coatings on the bulbs.

From what I can make out, I'd say the Philips Xtreme Power is still the best bulb. Right?

New! OSRAM Night Breaker PLUS

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]OSRAM, as one of the world's leading automotive lighting manufacturers, continue to innovate with OSRAM Nightbreaker Plus.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Based on the original OSRAM Night Breaker, this new product delivers:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]90% more light than a standard OE bulb[/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Up to 35m longer beam[/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Up to 10% whiter light[/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Up to 50% longer service life (compared to first generation Nightbreaker)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Fully road legal in Europe[/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]UV friendly - safe with plastic lenses
    [/FONT]

raj55

Newly Enlightened

I recently got an ad from Powerbulbs (part of it reproduced below), hyping the Osram Night Breaker PLUS. Lots of great claims there, but I looked at the bulbs offered, did the "click to enlarge image" and saw what looked like blue coatings on the bulbs.

/QUOTE]

From what I can see the blue coating is no different in the so called new Osram (compared to the old Osram that I have in my car). The only difference seems to be the extended lifespan by 50% (what ever that translates in to hours!).
Raj.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
This is an interesting development. There is an uncolored "window" of glass surrounding the filament on the Night Breaker line; the blue tint is on the part of the glass that is not directly between the filament and the optic, so the "whiter" (ha ha) light effect is only observable by those who have the strange compulsion to stare at operating headlamps and babble about how white they appear. The exception is the Night Breaker H4, which has the clear window for the low beam filament but not for the high beam filament.

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
Hmmm.... So, other than avoiding the H4, I guess if I can't find a Philips Xtreme Power when I want one, I'll be OK to pick up a Night Breaker Plus. Right?

That blue-white business turns me off. I did happen to meet a motorcycle on my ride home yesterday, who was running a single large, bright headlight with what appeared pretty close to the selective yellow produced by my old Cibie foglights. He definitely stood out on a shady country road, but it's only a matter of time until he gets a ticket. While I may well mount yellow fogs separately from my headlights, those headlights will stay good old 3200K halogen "white," thank you.

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
In my opinion, these are just the European version of the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra...something to completly avoid.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was almost tempted by the crystal white fists punching their way through the darkness.....almost... :rolleyes:

raj55

Newly Enlightened
In my opinion, these are just the European version of the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra...something to completly avoid.

The sylvania SS ultra are fully blue coated while these have just two blue bands at the base and the tip, where they do not block the light output from the filament. So these may be less white and perhaps better in light output.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
In my opinion, these are just the European version of the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra

That is not accurate.

raj55 said:
The sylvania SS ultra are fully blue coated while these have just two blue bands at the base and the tip

Yes, see above.

these may be less white

No. Blue glass does not create "whiter" light.

and perhaps better in light output.

There is no "perhaps" about it.

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
SWM, it's just an opinion. Also don't care much for Osram or Sylvania products...some items are cheaply made and they overall don't last as long as what Philips-Narva makes. It's just an opinion from my experience with both manufacturers.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
SWM, it's just an opinion

No, it's an incorrect assertion. A factoid: stated as a fact, but not actually correct. That's not an opinion, it's a piece of misinformation, and hiding behind "that's just my opinion" doesn't cut it.

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
No, it's an incorrect assertion. A factoid: stated as a fact, but not actually correct. That's not an opinion, it's a piece of misinformation, and hiding behind "that's just my opinion" doesn't cut it.

Why does everyone have to agree with you? Has anyone told you that you have an ego like Daniel Stern? So, I happen not to like Osram automotive lighting products...big deal. (And it is an opinion to like one company over another.) SWM, I know that you know alot about automotive lighting and thats fine; but can you please check your ego at the door?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Why does everyone have to agree with you?

Why does it upset you so when someone corrects your incorrect assertions?

Has anyone told you that you have an ego like Daniel Stern?

Not 'til just now. He seems to do pretty well, so thank you for the compliment.

So, I happen not to like Osram automotive lighting products

Nothing wrong with that. That's an opinion. The problem was with your incorrect assertion that Night Breaker bulbs are the same as Silver Star bulbs.

can you please check your ego at the door?

Let's compromise: I'll immediately stop forcing you to read my posts.
crackup.gif

Marcturus

Enlightened
There is an uncolored "window" of glass surrounding the filament on the Night Breaker line; the blue tint is on the part of the glass that is not directly between the filament and the optic (...)

Hi everybody,
when inspecting rows of blister-packed NB H1, H3 and H7 Night Breakers last fall, I observed a large variation in the placement of the clear glass window. In a few lamps, the entire coiled filament was surrounded by the blue filter. (Should have bought these to sell them off as Extreeme Blue Special Tuning Edition, but I just picked a pair that looked best geometrically.) Maybe Osram have since improved the process, but I would hesitate to buy these online.

Nell

Enlightened
I've been using the Night Breaker for quite some time. Likely the first few guinea pig to try it out. I noticed the clear window, but have never noticed any blue hue off the beam. I enjoy the bulbs so much for their whiter beam than the Silverstar(euro) they replaced. They are brighter and whiter without any blue hue to oncoming traffic. I just ordered a second set as my original just wore out.

Really concerned with output? Just install relays.

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using the Night Breaker for quite some time. Likely the first few guinea pig to try it out. I noticed the clear window, but have never noticed any blue hue off the beam. I enjoy the bulbs so much for their whiter beam than the Silverstar(euro) they replaced. They are brighter and whiter without any blue hue to oncoming traffic. I just ordered a second set as my original just wore out.

Really concerned with output? Just install relays.

No. They are tricking you with the whiter output. Any light source, using any type of filter, will see a reduction in output. No matter what. Yes, relays will help counteract the loss of output, but you are still losing output.

Halogen bulb= mostly red output. Putting a blue filter (thus allowing less of the red wavelengths through) on it will result in a reduction in output every time.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
No. They are tricking you with the whiter output.

They're talking nonsense babbling about "whiter" output. It is not whiter. There is no such thing as a magic filter -- blue or any other color -- which makes light "whiter". The term doesn't mean anything real.

Nell

Enlightened
No. They are tricking you with the whiter output. Any light source, using any type of filter, will see a reduction in output. No matter what. Yes, relays will help counteract the loss of output, but you are still losing output.

Halogen bulb= mostly red output. Putting a blue filter (thus allowing less of the red wavelengths through) on it will result in a reduction in output every time.

Tell me what you use for bulbs on you vehicle?

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't yet changed my Isuzu's headlights (bulbs). I've ordered GE Nighthawk 9004NH, at the recommendation of Mr. Stern. I'm also working at getting some relays together, along with some auxiliary high beam "driving" lights, as (here: my subjective opinion) my headlights do not allow me a comfortable viewing distance on some of the semi-rural roads in my area. I'm a bit of a deer magnet, so I'm quite serious about my lighting.

Why is this relevant?

Last edited: