OSTS TN31mb Monster Thrower

Helmut.G

Enlightened
Since the Thrunite TN31 is rated waterproof I took my light to the bathtub for some 15 minutes.

The light that I received certainly is not waterproof. After I took it out it wouldn't turn off properly and had lots of water inside the battery compartment. Also there seemed to be some electrolysis going on, the battery carrier now has a stain where the water sat.
Then a day later it showed all kinds of electronics malfunction.

Right now it seems to work fine. I'm burning a set of batteries through it on high hoping that the heat will remove all last moisture and no problems return.
This method worked for my beloved Thrunite Scorpion that was also falsely advertised as waterproof.

Capolini

Banned
Well, well, well!! I think I made a good decision!

I weighed[more ways than one!] the options/differences b/w the SR95S-UT [SB70] with its discounted price of $244 and this modded torch. Long story short,cost evened out but the additional throw, less bulk and shorter length, better battery configuration for my preferences that the OSTS TN31mb has was the logical choice!

For Crying out loud,My Siberian and I will be able to spot a Deer or Coyote from well over 1000m!!! :eek:

I look forward to getting it next week!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I'm not sure a good father would call his son a stupid fool, etc...or, that calling someone Dad after they gave wise advice is an insult...

So, maybe take the wise advice in the manner intended, and maybe take the "Dad" as intended?

So, maybe, you guys can step down a bit...?

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
I'm not sure a good father would call his son a stupid fool, etc...or, that calling someone Dad after they gave wise advice is an insult...

So, maybe take the wise advice in the manner intended, and maybe take the "Dad" as intended?

So, maybe, you guys can step down a bit...?

Very well said, lets move on.;)

Capolini

Banned
I did a test this evening. My girlfriend was my assistant and she was a great help!

I was testing my NEW/UPGRADED OSTS TN31mb-470Kcd!!!

I wanted to get an idea how much throw and the effective light it can display at a decent distance. So after thinking about it awhile I got an idea of a great, simple and probably a common way of testing a lights ability to "Throw"!

The Golf Course a mile from my house!

Ok,,,Par 5, 585 yards, straight as an arrow with Three[3] Eighty[80] Ft. high Norway Spruce 15 yards directly behind the Green! THESE ARE THE TARGETS!!!

TOTAL DISTANCE: 600 YARDS/548 meters

I went to the Tee my girlfriend stayed on the putting Green facing the Norway Spruce Trees. I do not think there was a question of "If" it was how much light will illuminate the Tree!

The rest of this are just estimates as far as "How much Illumination and how intense".I would think there is a way to test the "Intensity" of light at a certain distance. I improvised as you will see below!

Barb had my Olight M22 so she was not left in the Dark! It also served another purpose in regards to "Estimating" how lit up the Trees were as far as light intensity[brightness].

When I came back I shined the M22 approximately 30 yards From the Norway Spruce and went through the Three[3] modes and asked her which Mode came closest to the intensity of what she saw the OSTS TN31mb illuminate upon the Tree.

She said the Medium mode which is 250 lumens looked very close/similar to what she saw when I was 600 yards away with the OSTS TN31mb!

What all this means as far as a reader visualizing,I have no idea! I guess you have to have an Idea of what an Olight M22 on Medium[250 lumens] looks like from 30 yards when shined on an 80 Ft. Norway spruce at a 45 Degree angle!!!

She also said it ENTIRELY LIT UP TWO OUT OF THE THREE NORWAY SPRUCE TREES when I held the torch STILL! These Trees are approximately 80' tall and probably 30'wide! :thumbsup:

I do not know all the math and physics of light traveling. I am guessing that this tight and narrow beam expands considerably when it is "Thrown" at far distances?

In the final analysis I was very impressed with Quadruple "M's" [MICHAEL the MASTER MODDER MINISTERS] Masterpiece,,,hey that could have been "Quintuple "M's"!!!

Side note: I also brought my Olight M3X and was very happy that it also illuminated the trees from 600 yards,not as intensely, but it illuminated it. :) It was somewhere between what 20 lumens[low] and 250 lumens[medium] looks like on my M22 from 30 Yards!!! Lets say 100 lumens!

I know this is not very scientific!! I do not have the instruments or the know how to calculate what I saw,,,,,,just a creative, visual interpretation!

EDIT:

Some additional information.

This test was conducted on Level 6 [Max]. Next time I will do the test on Level 3,4 and 5. I do not think Level 3 will make it[hope I am wrong!], I suspect Level 4 will have a chance and I would bet on Level 5 making it to the three[3] Norway Spruce Trees!

-I did the test the prior night[Level 6 only] by myself and was most certain that I saw the Three Norway Spruce light up as I waved my torch from side to side. I wanted absolute verification so I brought Barb for confirmation!

-I have Golfed here over 100 times. The owner lives a driver and a Nine[9] Iron from my house which is approximately 400 Yards away!

-I DID GET PERMISSION TO DO THIS!!!

-I wish I had technologically advanced Video and Photographic equipment to record the event. I would imagine that in order to capture light traveling 600 yards it would probably be best suited to do by Helicopter! ;)

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
IIRC, the M22 is rated at 23,256 cd. At 30 yards, that should be giving ~ 31 lux.

So, if its dead on, that's 31 lux at 600 yards for the TN31mb if the lux is equal.

That would be unlikely though.

470,000 cd would give closer to ~ 1.6 lux at 548 meters.

To get 31 lux at 548 meters would require a much stronger spot light. (~9.3 MILLION cd)

So, chances are, like most humans, Barb is a lousy light meter. (No offense, she gets major brownie points for playing with flashlights on a golf course with you in the first place...)

There are apps you can down load for smart phones that work as light meters, and tell you the lux. They are not completely accurate, but, are more accurate the your eyes at least. Instead of being off by a factor of ~ 30, they might be off by 20%-30%, which is at least a ball park #.

:D

If you want to know how to calculate the beam spread, a rule of thumb is to take the known beam angle (Its 1.4º for the TN31mb), and multiply that by the range in meters, times 0.018. THAT gives you the beam width, in meters, at that range.

So at 548 meters, 1.4º gives a 13.8 meter beam width.

If you don't know the beam angle, you can take a shot at a known range, measure the width, and calculate it.

Beam angle = (Beam width)/(0.018)(Range)

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
IIRC, the M22 is rated at 23,256 cd. At 30 yards, that should be giving ~ 31 lux.

So, if its dead on, that's 31 lux at 600 yards for the TN31mb if the lux is equal.

That would be unlikely though.

470,000 cd would give closer to ~ 1.6 lux at 548 meters.

To get 31 lux at 548 meters would require a much stronger spot light. (~9.3 MILLION cd)

So, chances are, like most humans, Barb is a lousy light meter. (No offense, she gets major brownie points for playing with flashlights on a golf course with you in the first place...)

There are apps you can down load for smart phones that work as light meters, and tell you the lux. They are not completely accurate, but, are more accurate the your eyes at least. Instead of being off by a factor of ~ 30, they might be off by 20%-30%, which is at least a ball park #.

If you want to know how to calculate the beam spread, a rule of thumb is to take the known beam angle (Its 1.4º for the TN31mb), and multiply that by the range in meters, times 0.018. THAT gives you the beam width, in meters, at that range.

So at 548 meters, 1.4º gives a 13.8 meter beam width.

If you don't know the beam angle, you can take a shot at a known range, measure the width, and calculate it.

Beam angle = (Beam width)/(0.018)(Range)

ok,thanks.

Question? Are you saying the M22 on medium output[250 lumens] is 23,256cd??That is the cd on max[850 to 950 lumens] Doesn't the cd drop proportionately with lumen output? I think that is what you and others have taught me!

I specified that Barb best compared the OSTS TN31 illumination at 600 yards with the M22 ON MEDIUM[250 LUMENS] SETTING!

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
ok,thanks.

Question? Are you saying the M22 on medium output[250 lumens] is 23,256cd??That is the cd on max[850 to 950 lumens] Doesn't the cd drop proportionately with lumen output? I think that is what you and others have taught me!

I specified that Barb best compared the OSTS TN31 illumination at 600 yards with the M22 ON MEDIUM[250 LUMENS] SETTING!

ooops, I missed that, you are correct.

I need the % output for the new cd calc on medium to work.

If the proportion of 250/950 is right, that makes the 250 L setting have a cd of ~ 6,120...and puts ~ 8 lux on something ~ 30 yards away.

~ 8 lux is still more than ~ 1.6 lux, but it IS a heck of a lot closer.

It would take ~ 2.5 million cd to get that at 600 yards

Capolini

Banned
Re: OSTS TN31mb Monster

Where do I start!! My fingers are still frozen!!!

Solo tonight. Brought my glasses and a cigar!! Reason to celebrate. ;)

These are the same tests as my post #666! Throw distance: 600 YARDS

Without calculations my intuition and guesses were just about right on with the exception of level #3.I am glad I was wrong!

Level #6 was already confirmed. Level 5 lit up the Norway Spruce, so did level #4 and level # 3 illuminated them slightly!!!

I AM VERY, VERY, VERY IMPRESSED WITH MICHAEL'S MASTERPIECE!! :twothumbs:thumbsup::D

As I was testing the TN31mb Three deer slowly crossed the Golf course about 75 yards in front of me. I checked them out on level 3 and 4,,,,,they started to catch on fire!!! lol! :eek:

Side note: I also brought my TK75. This torch still awes me! It was throwing out so much light it lit up about 300 yards of the course. I am sure it made it but that will be confirmed when I bring Barb back.The specs. certainly indicate that.

All in all I love all my torches. Now I have a super thrower[OSTS TN31mb], The M3X and TK75 that all can go at least 600 yards.

I would love to find a flat enough area where I could test the OSTS TN31mb at 1000 yards!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!:thumbsup::party::party::party::)

KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS

houser23

Enlightened
You will be hard pressed to tell the difference between 500 and 470cd, and if you like to run your light on high all the time the Tn31mb will last longer than the Tn31vn with less heat build up as well.:D

357mag1

Enlightened
You will be hard pressed to tell the difference between 500 and 470cd, and if you like to run your light on high all the time the Tn31mb will last longer than the Tn31vn with less heat build up as well.:D

Why is that? Just wondering what the differences are that make the Tn31mb better.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Why is that? Just wondering what the differences are that make the Tn31mb better.

The OSTS doesn't drive the LED as hard to get the performance, Vinh's stuff is more souped up in that regard.

Its a little like a race between a muscle car and a Lotus, etc. Its two different approaches to an end goal.

The run times will tend to be better on the LED that's not driven as hard of course, and Saab does certify each light, and gives an across the board estimate for the mod. Vinh gives an estimate across the board for a particular mod. With neither do you KNOW exactly what you will receive as far as final specs, and whatever you get, is what you get. With Saab's, you know that when you look at the card in the box. With Vinh's, you know if you measure it yourself...or, you just DON'T.

I would not say one is always better as a blanket statement. Cost can be a factor for example. I would say that you would chose based upon what way of getting there works best, for you.

I have some of both....and, am happy with all of them...as they all do what I wanted that light to do.

Last edited: