OSTS TN31mb Monster Thrower

TEEJ

Flashaholic
BOTH the DEFT-X and the TN31mb have a beam angle of 1.4º.

That means that the hot spots are the same size.

For the first few hundred meters...there may be some corona of use around the hotspot...but that will fall off rapidly. After the TN31mb's corona falls off, it's beam, and the DEFT-X's will have the same shaped hot spot heading the rest of the way down range.

For perspective, if I use the ONE LUX range instead of the 0.25 lux range...that would give the hot spot of both lights as the same size at ~636 meters, with the TN31 at 1 lux...and the DEFT as the same size, but brighter.

The DEFT would not drop to 1 lux until more like ~ 949 meters. At 949 meters, the Size of the TN31mb's hot spot, and the Deft's, are the same....except now the DEFT is at 1 lux...and the mb is closer to its 0.25 lux end.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
BOTH the DEFT-X and the TN31mb have a beam angle of 1.4º.

That means that the hot spots are the same size.

For the first few hundred meters...there may be some corona of use around the hotspot...but that will fall off rapidly. After the TN31mb's corona falls off, it's beam, and the DEFT-X's will have the same shaped hot spot heading the rest of the way down range.

For perspective, if I use the ONE LUX range instead of the 0.25 lux range...that would give the hot spot of both lights as the same size at ~636 meters, with the TN31 at 1 lux...and the DEFT as the same size, but brighter.

The DEFT would not drop to 1 lux until more like ~ 949 meters. At 949 meters, the Size of the TN31mb's hot spot, and the Deft's, are the same....except now the DEFT is at 1 lux...and the mb is closer to its 0.25 lux end.

Hi TEEJ.

MICHAEL HAS DONE IT AGAIN!
:clap::party::twothumbs:bow::goodjob::lolsign::cool::drool:

I have owned Michael's modded TN31 and the
modded Fandyfire STL-V6 since they first came out and some stock TN31 lights since they first came out as well.

The modded TN31 is a great light to use as I can see down a long road near me very clearly with the more natural Neutral beam tint to a point where my eyes can go no further.

When I try the same test with my TK75 or TK70 etc the spill reflects back into my eyes making the theoretical distance that it can throw noticably compromised and a lot more difficult to see the same subject.

If you want a lot of spill and also a good amount of throw the three by XM-L U2 lights are a great choice as an all-rounder.

I have the TN31mb and the Saab modded Thrunite T10 on order and if the original Saab modded TN31 is anything to go by then it will be a very nice light indeed as I still like a bit of spill to see where I am going in the real world and I think that I will be very happy with the TN31mb.

The DEFT-X is really a special purpose light that will not allow for any really useful spill as it collects virtually all of the light produced by the LED and throws it into one tightly grouped beam that could be well used by Police, Military or other Government agencies to be able to light up a target or a survivor very nicely without lighting up other areas around the subject.

At that distance binoculars or a scope light would have to be used to identify a target as the human eye cannot actually resolve something that far away especially at night.

Michael has made a breakthrough with his DEFT-X and I congratulate him on another one of his many achievements that give so much joy especially to us flashaholics that are amazed with each new milestone that Michael has managed to get to and still be able to dazzle us hard to please enthusiasts.

I can't imagine how a person that uses stock standard hardware store type flashlights would feel upon seeing one of Michael's creations.

It might look like a beam going up to a mother ship way up in the sky and it would certainly impress many people.

I just want the spill of the TN31mb because it would be useful to me in my use of flashlights rather than using a laser like beam that makes me have to use another flooding light at the same time just to see where I am walking.

The DEFT-X will be a great seller, but to a very special market that has a need for them and can make full use of that wonderfully narrow and powerful beam and also those of us that just yearn for that "WOW FACTOR" once again to satisfy our deep down thirst for maximum throw.

Congratulations Michael you have done it again and OMG Lumens is back on the glory road after a brief period of regrouping itself.

YOU ROCK!!!!
:rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

CHEERS

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Wavien's Recycling Light Technology can be used in tn31? tn31mb already has it?
?

The TN31mb doesn't use it, the DEFT-X does.

PS -

Just so you know, its not been applied practically by anyone. Its been "Used", but, in name only, in that IMPLEMENTATION of it is actually very difficult and expensive. IE: Its on lights ADVERTISED as having it.

:D

If you want REAL Wavien RLT, go here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?315896-The-Nightsword-project

THAT will be a REAL use of it.

:D

One day the DeftX will finally be available in the flesh...and then IT will take that spot.

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ragnar66

Enlightened
:thinking: But the DEFT-X does use the Wavien RLT.

Thats what I thought..........I don't know what all this means other than I have 2 sweet *** lights comin my way but I was sure i read the Wavien and Deft-x thing.

I like T H R O W!

Ever thought about payrole deduction Sabb? Might make it easier for us.......

PS Sorry about all the crazy pms I sent when I first looked at the DEFT-X. I was blinded but the holy sht.

Last edited:

Nicolas

Newly Enlightened
Re: OSTS TN31mb Monster

Protected is a must. The Orbtronics cells are good. They are what I use.

That's what I needed to know, thanks. I have Orbtronics 3400's in the mail, may get them tomorrow. Whatever you use, that's what I want to use! I also bought the SysMax/NiteCore Intellicharger i4 V2 to charge them up with. :D

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Re: OSTS TN31mb Monster

I missed that...its in the DEFT-X description....I must have glazed over by the time I got to that point....mistyped away anyway.

:drool:

Last edited:

langham

Enlightened
The stock TN31 put out around 120klux the new one will do 15-20% more the same goes with the lumen output. The modified TN31 ranged from 245-275klux and if you got one modified it would in concept have similar results in the 15-20% range. So best case is you would get 330klux, but that is assuming that the lumen-lux relationship is 1-1 and I don't think that is true, but at that same rate the average modified TN-31 didn't get 275klux either so I figure you would get about the same 330klux if you modified it. The real gain would be in the lumen output not the lux gain. The TN31mb would blow it away.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I missed that...its in the DEFT-X description....I must have glazed over by the time I got to that point.

:drool:

Did i miss it in the TN31mb too, or its just in the DEFT-X?

The collar is only in the DEFT-X.

The stock TN31 put out around 120klux the new one will do 15-20% more the same goes with the lumen output. The modified TN31 ranged from 245-275klux and if you got one modified it would in concept have similar results in the 15-20% range. So best case is you would get 330klux, but that is assuming that the lumen-lux relationship is 1-1 and I don't think that is true, but at that same rate the average modified TN-31 didn't get 275klux either so I figure you would get about the same 330klux if you modified it. The real gain would be in the lumen output not the lux gain. The TN31mb would blow it away.

Yeah I'd expect the stock version of the XML2 version to be around 140-150Kcd. The modified TN31(first gen) did 242Kcd typical. The TN31mb is doing 400Kcd. After building and testing 10 lights I found 2 that were in my opinion too low performing at 340 and 360. So I decided to not ship those. So if I take those out of the equation the remaining 8 lights average out to 400.25Kcd. So my typical performance figures were optimistic by about 1%. So I was pretty much bang on on my projections.

BTW the first 8 lights have been boxed and shipped. All in this group should have received a shipping notice by now. More coming this next week.

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
i wonder what invoice saab got up to - maybe some other members who have got shipping notices can comment? good to hear some tn31mbs are going out though - cant wait for mine

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
We should start a registry with serial #s and lux numbers. I would be happy to do this if owners want to share info... then we can see who gets the brightest ones :)... thoughts?

Albert56

Newly Enlightened
We should start a registry with serial #s and lux numbers. I would be happy to do this if owners want to share info... then we can see who gets the brightest ones :)... thoughts?

It sounds OK in principle, but I doubt anybody wants to get caught having the runt of the liter! :sigh: I've finally gotten my shipping notice for #1196 and it should be arriving by Wednesday or Thursday. I'm really hyped now. I wish I had the $$$ to get the Deft X as well, but I'm sure I'll be more than impressed with this baby.