Overview: All eneloop batteries; 2005-2021

NiMHi

Newly Enlightened
Re: Overview: All eneloop batteries; 2005-2018

Based on tests by AACycler I think that the Fujitsu AA (HR-3UTC) might indeed perform better than latest Eneloop AA (BK-3MCCE). The cycle performance is better and lower internal resistance for Fujitsu.

However! This is all based on only a few tested batteries and AACycler might also have switched to different chargers so I'm not sure the test methods were consistent. Still interesting difference.

Fujitsu: http://aacycler.com/battery/aa/fujitsu-white/
Eneloop: http://aacycler.com/battery/aa/panasonic-eneloop/

kilogulf59

Enlightened

So, in laymen's terms, and for practical purposes, either one is a good battery?

From a non-techno users perspective, I have some Amazon black with green top batteries that seem just as good as my Eneloop Pro's and whites.

ChibiM

Enlightened

Think you have a point kilogulf, I like your statement!

It's not about the 1-3% extra capacity/cycle life, because both great batteries!
I have learned that an increase in ambient temperature is one of the biggest reasons a LSD (eneloop) battery loses its charge faster. And Sanyo/Panasonic people have tested that. There is a great difference between 20 degrees celcius and 40 degrees celcius. So a discharge test during winter may result in a much better cycle life than in summer with even the same batteries.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have learned that an increase in ambient temperature is one of the biggest reans a LSD (eneloop) battery loses its charge faster. And Sanyo/Panasonic people have tested that. [...]

This is very well-known and not specific to LSD NiMh / eneloop. An increase in temperature causes an increase in the rate of internal side-reactions, which increases not only self-discharge but also various degradation processes, e.g. see the many occurrences of high temperature in the Batteries 2020 slides on ageing effects of Li-ion batteries.

Last edited:

jcvjcvjcvjcv

Enlightened
Re: Overview: All eneloop batteries; 2005-2017

Hi, no, full-time. I am back in the Netherlands, where I`m originally from :)
I like these ones as well! I ordered an AA and AAA set.
They are also available in the Netherlands at batterij huis and nkon.nl.
Oh.. intersting, didnt know the SB800 needed 5 batteries. hmmm Im pretty sure you could use the spare 4 for something else useful! Like a flashlight or something. hihi

SB800 can take 4, but is supplied with a holder that repaces the battery cap with a holder for a 5th battery. With five it recharges a lot faster after each flash and lasts longer on a set.

In the past I've used left-over sets of 3 in a Maglite 3AA and smoke alarms. But the 3AA Maglites is out of use, the moke alarms are mostly gone too while I did stock up on SB800's. I guess I'll just order five sets of 8; then I have a two sets per color. For sets of four I already got the Tropical set x4.

For years I've been looking for battery cases that hold 5 AA's. Finally found cases for 10 AA's on aliexpress, but those are oversized a bit; the cells rattle.

So much easier than taping or marking cells. :D

AlpineBatteries

Newly Enlightened
Re: Overview: All eneloop batteries; 2005-2019

I recently found my long lost Fenix LD20 (2xAA) that was packed away when I moved and was left undiscovered in the crawl spaced since Jan 2010 for 8 1/2 years!!! Inside the flashlight were Sanyo Eneloop Gen 1's that were purchased in 2007 from Costco. Guess what? They fired up with full power. I messed with the light on high mode for about 15 minutes before popping the batteries out to top off. At .5A charge rate, it took a little over an hour to charge if I recall correctly. All I can say is WOW. I'm currently using the Panasonic Eneloops from Costco (purchased Oct. 2018) that come with 6xAA, 4xAAA, charger and c/d adaptors, in the green box.

Last edited by a moderator:

jayb79

Newly Enlightened

I just broke open a package that was buried on a shelf for a long time. The date code on the batteries is 06 09E5. I put then in the C9000 and discharged them at 500ma and all 4 had 1140mah left. Thats not bad for batteries sitting for 12 1/2 years.

ChibiM

Enlightened

I just broke open a package that was buried on a shelf for a long time. The date code on the batteries is 06 09E5. I put then in the C9000 and discharged them at 500ma and all 4 had 1140mah left. Thats not bad for batteries sitting for 12 1/2 years.

Hey jayb79 wow.. that is 60% left... after 12.5 years...
But keeping in mind that eneloops didnt get shipped 100% fully charged (as they say) it's even more remakable!

thanks for sharing!

ChibiM

Enlightened

I recently found my long lost Fenix LD20 (2xAA) that was packed away when I moved and was left undiscovered in the crawl spaced since Jan 2010 for 8 1/2 years!!! Inside the flashlight were Sanyo Eneloop Gen 1's that were purchased in 2007 from Costco. Guess what? They fired up with full power. I messed with the light on high mode for about 15 minutes before popping the batteries out to top off. At .5A charge rate, it took a little over an hour to charge if I recall correctly. All I can say is WOW. I'm currently using the Panasonic Eneloops from Costco (purchased Oct. 2018) that come with 6xAA, 4xAAA, charger and c/d adaptors, in the green box.

Great stuff as well! They literally changed the whole NiMH industry!

roymail

Enlightened

Will the charger that came with my Panasonic Eneloops safely charge a pair of 14500 batteries? Thanks for your advice and help.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Roymail,

What is the chemistry of your 14500 batteries?

Eneloop chargers only work with NiMh.

Tom

ChibiM

Enlightened

Finally Panasonic added another battery charger to their curren lineup.... in Japan.....
It's quite an interesting one I have to say. (charger + powerbank + flashlight in 1)
Instead of a normal power cord, you can charge batteries using a USB charger! (Cord included, not the USB charger)
Plus they added a flashlight as an attachment so you'll be able to have light during emergencies!

Panasonic BQ-CC87 L (light)
61j1QnnXCgL._SL1500_.jpg

ChibiM

Enlightened

Eneloop101 got a facelift.
Please have a look and let me know if you find any problems.
It looks a little 'cleaner' and 'fresher'.

BVH

Flashaholic

I installed new 1st gen Eneloops in my twelve Hunter Douglas brand window blinds in January of 2011. Each blind battery carrier uses 12 cells. All 144 cells are still their job perfectly. I've not had one cell failure. They get charged about every 8 months so not many cycles but a fair amount of time.

Last edited:

ChibiM

Enlightened

I installed new 1st gen Eneloops in my twelve Hunter Douglas brand window blinds in January of 2011. Each blind battery carrier uses 12 cells. All 144 cells are still their job perfectly. I've not had one cell failure. They get charged about every 8 months so not may cycles but a fair amount of time.

That's some great reference! 8 years without any problems. I'm just curious what charger you use/chargers. Charging 12 at a time can take some time. 24 even more, but imagine all batteries going flat around the same time... :)

PhotoTime

Newly Enlightened

Hi,

I am thinking of using the Eneloop/Ikea Ladda (those high performance type) on my wireless headband mic. The distance will be around 5 meters, with not much obstruction, and relatively same position.

Has anyone been using this batteries in this sort of setup? How long can the battery last?

Any advise is very much appreciated.

Regards.

BVH

Flashaholic

For most of those years, I used a combo of 2 Maha C9000's and 1 Maha 808. The 808 died so replaced it with the 8000 and it died so got another 808. Now I'm using 4 C9000's and the 808 to charge two "units" at one time - 24 cells. I charge all at 1 Amp rate. Some blinds are used much more than others so not that many need a charge at the same time.

I also have 1 of the SkyRC 3000's but it's to complicated for inclusion in the Eneloop charges. I use it to charge my many 18650's and 21700's.

Last edited:

ChibiM

Enlightened

Great Stuff BVH. Your desk must look like a laboratory then, haha!

PS. There hasn't been any new Limited Editions or a new generation of batteries unfortunately. I got myself some Amazon Eneloops from Japan, which are just eneloops but instead of having a blue font, they have a black font. Besides these, I also got a BQ-CC87 charger.

Latest posts