Overview: All eneloop batteries; 2005-2021

NorCal707

Newly Enlightened
Re: Overview: All eneloop batteries; 2005-2019

So, in speaking to Costco Corporate, it appears Eneloops are no longer being sold at any Costcos in the US. I need a 8-pack of AA's for a few Roku Ultras I'm going to be buying from Walmart on Black Friday for $48. I can get a 8-pack of standard 2000mah Eneloops sold/shipped by Amazon for $18.99 - is that about the best deal going? A little leery of ordering from them in fear of getting knock-offs instead of bonafide Panasonic despite stating sold/shipped by Amazon. Walmart.com also sells the 8-pack of standard 2000mah Eneloops for $18.99.

Also, are the "good" Eneloops made in Japan still? Reading through older posts, it appears some are being manufactured in China. Are the China cells good or to be avoided?
Confused :confused:

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast

So, in speaking to Costco Corporate, it appears Eneloops are no longer being sold at any Costcos in the US. I need a 8-pack of AA's for a few Roku Ultras I'm going to be buying from Walmart on Black Friday for $48. I can get a 8-pack of standard 2000mah Eneloops sold/shipped by Amazon for $18.99 - is that about the best deal going? A little leery of ordering from them in fear of getting knock-offs instead of bonafide Panasonic despite stating sold/shipped by Amazon. Walmart.com also sells the 8-pack of standard 2000mah Eneloops for $18.99.

Also, are the "good" Eneloops made in Japan still? Reading through older posts, it appears some are being manufactured in China. Are the China cells good or to be avoided?
Confused :confused:

Costco still has them with a energizer rebrand:

https://costcocouple.com/energizer-rechargeable-battery-kit/

...if they are made in Japan, they're good.

NorCal707

Newly Enlightened

Costco still has them with a energizer rebrand:

https://costcocouple.com/energizer-rechargeable-battery-kit/

...if they are made in Japan, they're good.

You sure they're re-branded Eneloops? The 2000mah AA Eneloops I ordered thru Walmart this afternoon say they will hold a 70% charge up to 10 years and can be recharged up to 2100 times. Those Energizers say holds charge for only one year.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast

You sure they're re-branded Eneloops? The 2000mah AA Eneloops I ordered thru Walmart this afternoon say they will hold a 70% charge up to 10 years and can be recharged up to 2100 times. Those Energizers say holds charge for only one year.

As best I can tell they are. I got the exact same kit with a eneloop brand last year at costco.

NorCal707

Newly Enlightened

As best I can tell they are. I got the exact same kit with a eneloop brand last year at costco.

Well, I didn't need any AAA's or another charger and needed a minimum of 8 AA's so I'm happy for $18.99. The back of the packaging shown on WM.com said made in Japan - will post back when I actually receive them as to if that holds true...

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wouldn't trust that "rebranded Eneloops" are really the exact same thing as genuine Eneloops. They may be made at the same factory, but perhaps not to the same tolerances and quality control or even specs. I've seen tests around this forum that compared "rebranded" versions to real Eneloops, and they didn't match up. Things like self-discharge were slightly different, and a couple of other minor things I can't recall.

Anyway, rebranded versions may be good value if you can get them at a cheaper price, but I don't think they're quite as good as the real thing.

Or, you could get lucky, and they might be as good as real Eneloops. But there's no guarantee the next batch will be the same. It's kind of like re-wrappers for lithium-ion cells. They could use a great cell underneath for a year, then switch brands without you knowing.

NorCal707

Newly Enlightened

Well, I didn't need any AAA's or another charger and needed a minimum of 8 AA's so I'm happy for $18.99. The back of the packaging shown on WM.com said made in Japan - will post back when I actually receive them as to if that holds true...
Received my 8-pack of 2000mah AA Eneloops from Walmart and they are indeed marked Made in Japan.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Costco.ca has Eneloops (Japanese) on sale this week until Dec 8. I can't resist. :(
$29 for 12xAAA and $43 for 16xAA. Canadian dollars (so not worth much).

I still can't find any better deals from Canada for genuine Eneloops. They're each $11 off the regular price. I always buy the sales, which happen annually.

There's also the kit on sale, that comes with batteries and a charger. The charger (BQ-CC17) is actually a very good charger, albeit fairly slow.

lak100

Newly Enlightened
Re: Overview: All eneloop batteries; 2005-2020

hi guys is there any difference beteween aaa eneloop and eneloop for dect phones? Is a marketing trick or not? the forst are suitable for dect? one last question when we throw to recyble bin a rechargable battery from what volt and below

Last edited by a moderator:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

hi guys is there any difference beteween aaa eneloop and eneloop for dect phones?

You might be referring to Eneloop Lite batteries, which have lower capacity but more cycles.

Is a marketing trick or not? the forst are suitable for dect? one last question when we throw to recyble bin a rechargable battery from what volt and below

For NiMH, it doesn't matter.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Those look like just the regular AAA Eneloops. They have the same capacity and cycle life as the regular version, and (based on the picture) they look identical. I suspect it's just marketing nonsense.

FWIW, I use the regular AAA Eneloops in my DECT phones, and they work great. I think they've been in there about 3 or 4 years, even since the original (crap) batteries died.

ChibiM

Enlightened

The Dect designation is not so much a nonsense, but a usual marketing technique. It helps buyers to understand what batteries to get. Yet they are the same as the usual eneloops. Sorry, for not answering earlier but Walkintothelight was
very helpful!

kilogulf59

Enlightened

This is how I got into Eneloops and found this forum. Years ago I needed new batteries for our cordless phones. FYI, they were Panasonic AAA's and I still have and use two of them. The phones are history too but I kept the Eneloops...

magellan

Honorary Aussie

Just wanted to say again (for probably the 6th time), how much I've learned from this thread.

ChibiM

Enlightened

Agree, lots of useful information from many different members.

magellan

Honorary Aussie

Yes, just a great forum all around.