Ozark trail $1.00 50 lumen plastic flashlight

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got this for a friend that wanted a cheap flashlight. I tried it myself and wow! Good beam with no blue at all. Hotspot is similar to the led solitaire (once the solitaire is adjusted just right). It's a 3aaa and there is a spring inside the light where you put the battery holder and also on the end cap. The end cap fits loosly, but tightens up well. It has a rear clickie switch on it and it comes with batteries. It has a plastic blocker in it to keep the batteries fresh and it falls out when you remove the end cap and battery holder to see if it needs batteries or not. With cell phone lights and these dirt cheap decent lights it looks like the average non flashaholic probably isn't going to want anything else. The flashlight also seems durable, but the end cap could pop off if dropped. It also comes with a landyard (sp?). I'm amazed at what you can get for a dollar now.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
They have been around in on fashion or another for a dozen years now. Most of them are disposable junk and the 3AAA format is the second worst way to power LED in lights, the first is 3-4 button cells (AG13 usually). You didn't do your friend any favor as a AA battery has 2.5 the energy of a AAA battery for the same cost so when he buys a 12 pack of batteries for it, he could have the same amount of power in 5 AAs. I would have said spend $5 or so for a AA based light myself.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Ya know, a couple of years ago I would have gobbled up several of those lights gpm and hung them at various locations in my house, but I'd already done that when the $2.99 versions had 5 LED's pumping out a whopping 6 or so bluemens. I'd keep check on them when changing the air filter(s) in my home and as each one quit working I'd hang a maglite solitaire in it's place.

So now when I go to wallee-world and try those $1 ozarks out I think "I just don't need these disposables anymore" but they're great to have around the house when the power shuts off suddenly.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lynx Arc, they didn't have any aa lights that I could tell- remember, I was at walmart with their ever shrinking flashlight section, but they got a bunch of laterns. I'd like to try the 1aa energizer y'all was talking about. I don't have any problem with 3aaa lights myself, but I agree about the aa- the bigger the battery the more power reserve it has.

Bykfixer, I hate those cheap lights that have multiple leds in them. I think this light, though dirt cheap, is a good one. The only flaw I can tell with it is the tailcap screws on loose till it tightens up, but it tightens up well. Good hotspot and spill and good color temp. For someone that wants a good flashlight, but they don't have much money I think it's a sure enough deal. It puts out like the led solitaire.

It's cheap enough to just use it till the batteries go out that came with it and then throw it away. Or buy some cheap alkaleaks from dollar tree that are better than what came in it for a dollar for a pack of 3. You can also experiment with it with lithiun batteries- who knows, they might be underdriving it. If you blow it you're just out a dollar. I think it puts out almost as much as the original 6p and is about the same size. Also, since it is cheap it might get used more than the special flashlights we're picky about.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Back when I bought those multi-LED lights they were the $1 ozark trail equivilent of the time. It was back when wallee-world still sold incan flashlights.

It was a happy time for the flashaholic. The flashlight section at Home Depot was about 75 feet long and the variety was terrific. I'd buy a $2.99 flashlight at the checkout counter of my local parts store. The brand was PT and eventually they'd have 1 LED. The beam was awful, which I did not realize until CPF said so. So I'd sand the lens. I still have one hanging in my bathroom. It casts a multitude of tic tac toe boards on the wall from using a scotch brite scouring pad in X patterns.

Last edited:

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a "pt" flashlight that was 3aaa with one led. I did fine till some deet got on the lense and ruint it. I heard that they had a nichia led in them.

I miss the old walmarts before they all became supercenters- no matter where I was, if I got homesick all I had to do was go to walmart and browse around and I'd feel better. Made no difference whether I bought anything or not. My favorite spot was sporting goods and the auto section.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yup, mine had a nichia too. It put out a yellow center with light blue edges so I called it "the fried egg beam" light. After scuffing the lens the beam looked a lot better.

I visited my local wally world this morning to replace some work trousers. I stayed on the east side and knowing the flashlight section sucks now elected not to visit the west end, which is practically in another county it's so big. A town I worked in a few years back had the old style WalMart. It is about the of a Roses store, maybe 100 feet by 100 feet which is nice. Another town I worked in had a mid-size WalMart. Good gosh, I'd spend half my paycheck every month in the fishing section. That one sold Shimano, Pflueger and Penn gear.

I considered venturing to the $1 ozark trail display today but they did not have trousers in my size so it was a chance to leave Wally World without spending any money (probably for the first time).

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I agree finding good lights at WM now is more akin to an easter egg hunt a week late as a lot you find is rotten. Ozark Trail is hit and miss IMO I spent $5 on a set of 4 remote controlled tap lights even though they were 3AAA I thought I could use the guts and O ring COB LED to make something better powering with 18650 cells. I was mistaken as the remote control circuitry in the lights drained the free HD batteries dead in about 2 days, it wasn't a coincidence the lights were on clearance 75% off (originally $20) they are WORTHLESS as you can't lock out the remote circuitry or lock out the power on them either the only way to use them would be to tie an AC power adapter into them. I decided I would keep and tear one apart to see if I could fix it and no luck. I now have 4 O ring COB LEDs now and some magnets as lights they are trash and the remote worthless. I do have a 3AAA lantern that is sort of tall and egg shaped they cleared out for $2 that works well but at 3AAA format likely when the included batteries die I won't bother with it unless I use the guts in another light somehow.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saw these at WM, they look good, couldn't turn it on, not sure if the batts were dead or they don't come with them?

Also saw that they have a updated version of the 100 lumen 3AA camp lantern with plastic hanging hooks.....looks like they raised the price about a buck.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Many lights that come with batteries have an insulator installed on the end of the batteries that has to be removed before you use it.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
xxo, Lynx Arc is right. They are so light that you'd think they don't have any batteries in them and if you click the clickie thing they won't come on because of a brat proof insulator.

Just unscrew the tailcap and take the battery holder out. The insulator is between the battery holder and tailcap. Assemble and turn on. It will make you say whoa!

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
xxo, on that latern, it has 4 modes now. They added a red flasher mode and the round bottom sits straight up. Think weebles wobble, but they don't fall down.

I just purchesed one for a friend.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Saw these at WM, they look good, couldn't turn it on, not sure if the batts were dead or they don't come with them?

Also saw that they have a updated version of the 100 lumen 3AA camp lantern with plastic hanging hooks.....looks like they raised the price about a buck.

Was that the orange body one that was $4-ish? One year my local wally world had 3 boxes of 4. I bought all 3 boxes and gave away 9 of 12 that Christmas. Great little lamp for youngsters.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes bykfixer. They all have a gray body now and the globe thing isn't a funky shape anymore but the bottom is rounded.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I like the look of the old one better, but I didn't spend much time looking it over, whenever I'm in wm, I get the urge to grab what I came for and get the hell out as fast as I can.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
was at wm again, looks like they sold out of the lanterns and sold a bunch of the $1 3AAA lights. took out the plastic film and checked out one that had a dim and purple beam, another was bright with a nice beam but the switch was stuck in the on position, bought the third one which has a beam in between the other 2 but has a functioning switch.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
I love these $1.00 lights and I'll tell you why.

One, these are the perfect lights to give out to neighbors (and others) when there is a power outage because 50 lm is nothing to sneeze about, and the bright colors they come in (and the fact that they tail stand) make them attractive for only one dollar!

Two, when I see people I do not know walking at night in the dark without any light I will be happy to part with one knowing I helped them become safer, and for only a buck. (I'll turn one on, tail stand it on the sidewalk, them drive away.)

So $20. to get twenty (or more) people to defy a darkness that could descend upon them at any dark moment excites me to no end!

Isn't that one of the many reasons we are 'flashaholics'?

if not, please en'light'en me.

:thumbsup:

- LetThereBeLight!

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to give away a lot of the "free" with coupon harbor fright multi LED lights - I think the aluminum hf lights are better constructed though the single LED on these is nice as are the bright colors. Problem with both lights are batteries. Keeping them loaded with eneloops is kinda expensive, particularly on a cheap light you may give away. alkalines are also kind of expensive considering you need 3 and this is only a $1 light, plus chances are they will leak. The cheapo carbon zinc cells won't last long and may still leak.

Another problem I ran into with the hf light is that NiMH's will cause the LEDs to slowly dim/burn out due to their lack of a heat sink and even a resister to control current.

With the HF lights I used to keep around (until I gave them away), I fed them HF carbon zinc batteries that I used to get for free with another one of their coupons.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
I used to give away a lot of the "free" with coupon harbor fright multi LED lights - I think the aluminum hf lights are better constructed though the single LED on these is nice as are the bright colors. Problem with both lights are batteries. Keeping them loaded with eneloops is kinda expensive, particularly on a cheap light you may give away. alkalines are also kind of expensive considering you need 3 and this is only a $1 light, plus chances are they will leak. The cheapo carbon zinc cells won't last long and may still leak.

Another problem I ran into with the hf light is that NiMH's will cause the LEDs to slowly dim/burn out due to their lack of a heat sink and even a resister to control current.

With the HF lights I used to keep around (until I gave them away), I fed them HF carbon zinc batteries that I used to get for free with another one of their coupons.

I'm glad you gave away those free lights and I can't dispute your points on quality only to say that these lights already come with batteries; also, to me, they are the most cost-effective way to assist another in her or his sudden darkness. Plus, I'm not looking to give out a fine quality light for that purpose for several reasons.

Lastly, because these $1.00 lights have some durability to them, I don't consider them "cheap", per se, but quite inexpensive. Hence I look forward to giving them away when those situations arise. When I give a light, any light, to someone, I feel joy.

- LetThereBeLight!