p1d-ce vs p2d-ce

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want a light that starts in low so it sounds like the P2D is the one. But what's with this annoying flash I've heard reference to? Do all of the P2Ds exhibit this behaviour, or just some? If so, that is truly BIZARRE and can only be seen as MAJOR engineering flaw.

I know there are many P2D owners out there and that Doug at FlashlightReviews loves it. So why isn't EVERYONE complaining about it if it's such an annoyance?

for me it's a minor annoyance - the operative word is MINOR. i don't like it, but it's NOT a deal breaker for me. it's there i live with it. if it's important, i close my eyes and turn it on and then open them. "What flash? I didn't see a flash." closed eyes - works for me!

that said, IMO (being a research and development engineer for over thirty years), it's a poor design "FEATURE" (as some would claim??!!!). But, hey, that's just my opinion.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will join the club......my L2DCE (P2DCE in disguise) also does it.....well how about that, I had this light for a long time now and after trying it out for a few minutes looking for that flash......YES! I see the light.....I mean the flash.....it wasn't a problem till it was pointed out here.................ok, I've gotten over it.....

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
So why isn't EVERYONE complaining about it if it's such an annoyance?

Because as others have very well pointed out it is not really an annoyance. If you take it as a "design feature" you will very quickly get the hang of it.
BTW I had not noticed it until I read all the posts on the subject....:(

onthebeam

Enlightened
A question then. . . I want to low to use the light late at night without disturbing any of the ladies in the harem in the house. If it's pitch dark when turning on, would it be much more noticeable and actually an annoyance that bugged you? Or is it really that minor?

OK, ladies, I'm coming. . .

musicalfruit

Newly Enlightened
No, they have both kinds. You can get the standard smooth reflector with great throw, or the textured option. You can decide which one you prefer.
https://www.fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=22_55&osCsid=a288b92861ace3d9e8f0ff661fde1f72
https://www.fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=22_68&osCsid=a288b92861ace3d9e8f0ff661fde1f72

Yeah, I initially thought they did away with the smooth reflectors but after looking some more, it's just the L1D/L2D that are available only with textured reflectors. So they either just have remaining stock of the smooth P series and they will go unavailable once the stock is gone or that they are temporarily out of stock of the smooth L series and these will be available once more inventory arrives.

LightScene

Enlightened
My recommendation is to get the P1-CE for daytime use because it is the easiest to pocket carry and you don't really need multiple levels during the day, and get the P2D-CE for nightime use, because it is easier to use. An alternative is to get the P1D-CE and the Leef body and carry the P1D-CE during the day and use the Leef body at night.

Last edited:

wintermute

Enlightened
I want a light that starts in low so it sounds like the P2D is the one. But what's with this annoying flash I've heard reference to? Do all of the P2Ds exhibit this behaviour, or just some? If so, that is truly BIZARRE and can only be seen as MAJOR engineering flaw.

I know there are many P2D owners out there and that Doug at FlashlightReviews loves it. So why isn't EVERYONE complaining about it if it's such an annoyance?

Without going into too much about how the driver works - I can say with some assurance that this is a very minor software error in coding the microcontroller. That being said, someone is about to start reprogramming the heck out of the light with the help of a couple of friends. Hopefully, the cause of the flash before low issue will be discovered quickly - and maybe the info slipped in a note to Fenix R&D...maybe a fix can be implemented on the new lights produced.

Of course, that doesn't help those of you who have the old versions. But maybe, just maybe...there will be a way to take care of stuff like this too for current users. I just wish that Fenix didn't make such a good torch - because no one has a broken D version to sell me!! Need some parts to test on - otherwise the cost of this thing will be prohibitive (since new heads will need to be bought everytime one dies for whatever reason). :broke:

But man - there should be some cool things which can be done, the least of which will be fixing the flash before the low that bugs us so much. :shrug: For now though, I will keep putting the lens to my shirt...or putting my hand over the lens...everytime I turn the torch on low.

See my other thread about the driver revealed for more info in the future as to what is going on. :cool:

Regarding the P1D vs. P2D issue again though - I have to give another vote to the P2D because of how much might be done with the driver in the near future. P1D is sweet because it is so small - but nothing about the driver or the UI has been researched as far as I know. Compared to the amount of info aquired on the P2D/LxD - the amount would really surprise you! Let's just say that the LxD/P2D is becoming a very well understood light. :sssh:

Last edited: