• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired P60 modules -warm, neutral, cool white/XRE-XPE-XPG-XML-U3 / NICHIA 92CRI PART 11

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
NB, I'm ready to submit another order, but I'm stuck on which I should get:

A: XM-L, U2 flux bin, 3B tint, 5000K (daylight white). ---- 3.5 Amps high. 3 levels regulated. Low-med-high. ---- OP ($40)
OR
B: Luminus SST-50 4500k (w45S-GJ400-WJ-P3)---- 4.2 Amps high. 3 levels regulated. Low-med-high. ---- OP ($55)

I'm really just looking for sheer output on this one, not too concerned with efficiency in all honesty because I keep a close eye on my cells and recharge them pretty often when needed (I usually recharge at around 3.9-4.0 volts on my 18650 cells)

I know that beyond ~3.5A the Luminus series is more efficient, correct? and therefore should show a much greater output given how much more current is going in, correct? That's why I'm stuck with choosing a slightly lower current XM-L versus really pushing an SST-50 hard.

Is this an unfair comparison? I already have a high CRI XM-L from you, as well as an MC-E you made I got on the MP. It'd be nice to have a super bright flood light. Should I send you cash for the SST-50 then?

I'm aware of heat buildup, short(er) runtimes, etc.

thanks man! I'm leaning towards the SST I will say

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
NB, I'm ready to submit another order, but I'm stuck on which I should get:

A: XM-L, U2 flux bin, 3B tint, 5000K (daylight white). ---- 3.5 Amps high. 3 levels regulated. Low-med-high. ---- OP ($40)
OR
B: Luminus SST-50 4500k (w45S-GJ400-WJ-P3)---- 4.2 Amps high. 3 levels regulated. Low-med-high. ---- OP ($55)

I'm really just looking for sheer output on this one, not too concerned with efficiency in all honesty because I keep a close eye on my cells and recharge them pretty often when needed (I usually recharge at around 3.9-4.0 volts on my 18650 cells)

I know that beyond ~3.5A the Luminus series is more efficient, correct? and therefore should show a much greater output given how much more current is going in, correct? That's why I'm stuck with choosing a slightly lower current XM-L versus really pushing an SST-50 hard.

Is this an unfair comparison? I already have a high CRI XM-L from you, as well as an MC-E you made I got on the MP. It'd be nice to have a super bright flood light. Should I send you cash for the SST-50 then?

I'm aware of heat buildup, short(er) runtimes, etc.

thanks man! I'm leaning towards the SST I will say

Hi

Well this is a tough one, if you are looking strictly for a flood light the SST 50 might be the way to go but I still would not go past 3.5 amps since after 30 seconds on a single 18650 you will NOT be any higher on amperage. The SST 50 is a good flood light but probably not anymore or even quite as much as the MCE you ordered from me. Since the MCE is a quad die it is about as floody as it gets.

Now if you are just looking for sheer output with good spill then the U3 running at 3.5 amps or direct drive is about as powerful as you will get. Just remember that the direct drive doesn't have low voltage protection like most of my regulated do. It is hard to beat the new tech that Cree has, while the SST 50 was a monster in its time and especially in a maglite with big heatsinks but now the XML is a real monster in its own right.

Sorry to be a bit wishy washy but that is a hard call. If using in a 6P remember that SST 50 is a tall emitter.

Dave

Hartland

Newly Enlightened
Dave,

I am preparing to put together a small flashlight for my son's Army ROTC nighttime exercizes where he needs to find reflective markers in a land navigation course. By the rules, he must use only red lights. He uses a white LED headlamp with a red filter to make his way through the woods but once he gets close to each destination, he needs a brighter hand held light. The light needs to have reasonably wide coverage with acceptable throw as well. My plan is to use a Solarforce L2P host with an 18650 Li Ion rechargeable battery and a red LED drop-in with an OP reflector. I'm leaning towards either one of your Luminus SST-90 emitters or an Osram Diamond Dragon. The much higher cost of the SST-90 and the concern for overheating at max output in a D26 package is making me lean towards the Diamond Dragon. I am leaning away from the Cree XPE for potentially producing a narrower beam than I'm looking for or the Hyper-red version of the Platinum Dragon because the longer wave length might be less visible. I am interested in your feedback on any of my conclusions with particular interest in your opinion on the emitter.

Last edited:

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave,

I am preparing to put together a small flashlight for my son's Army ROTC nighttime exercizes where he needs to find reflective markers in a land navigation course. By the rules, he must use only red lights. He uses a white LED headlight with a red filter to make his way through the woods but once he gets close to each destination, he needs a brighter hand held light. The light needs to have reasonably wide coverage with acceptable throw as well. My plan is to use a Solarforce L2P host with an 18650 Li Ion rechargeable battery and a red LED drop-in with an OP reflector. I'm leaning towards either one of your Luminus SST-90 emitters or an Osram Diamond Dragon. The much higher cost of the SST-90 and the concern for overheating at max output in a D26 package is making me lean towards the Diamond Dragon. I am leaning away from the Cree XPE for potentially producing a narrower beam than I'm looking for or the Hyper-red version of the Platinum Dragon because the longer wave length might be less visible. I am interested in your feedback on any of my conclusions with particular interest in your opinion on the emitter.

Hi

You are probably correct on most of your conclusions. The SST 90 can be quite hot and is mainly a flood emitter, now as far as raw lumens it is probably the brightest but again quite hot and very floody.

Now the XPE red is not the same beam angle as a white XPE, a white XPE is 115 degrees but a colored XPE is 130 degrees so it is not so tunnel like.

Now as to the platinum dragon red, the dragon is not terribly different nm wise from the XPE and I really don't think that the slightly deeper red is any less visible and again it is only a few nm different from the XPE.

I think either one would work fine, I have been using a red XPE for most of deer season when walking in and have been pleased with it. I think you would be pleased with the increased throw of a red emitter over a red filter. A smooth reflector with what every you choose will give the best throw and still allow adequate spill.

Dave

Hartland

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the insight, Dave. I'll be placing an order with you today using your website. I'm going with the XPE and a smooth reflector.

thundertree

Enlightened
Hey Dave,

I wanted to know what you think your best drop-in would be to go with a FM Turbo C Head. I would like to get an XML U3, but I'm trying to avoid the distinct donut hole that usually come from using an XML w/ SMO reflector with the FM Turbo Head. Would using the drop-in with an OP reflector fix that problem in your opinion? Would an SST-90 with OP reflector be any better to lessen to donut effect by comparison?

Much thanks!

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Dave,

I wanted to know what you think your best drop-in would be to go with a FM Turbo C Head. I would like to get an XML U3, but I'm trying to avoid the distinct donut hole that usually come from using an XML w/ SMO reflector with the FM Turbo Head. Would using the drop-in with an OP reflector fix that problem in your opinion? Would an SST-90 with OP reflector be any better to lessen to donut effect by comparison?

Much thanks!

Hi

I do not have a turbo head anymore, I do know there is Never any doughnut hole with a XML in a smooth when used by its self. A smooth reflector and a XML gives a dedicated hotspot. Now if put in a turbo head you may be right since I again can't test it. A will guarantee you probably won't like a SST 90 as it leaves a butterfly type shadow in a Turbo head. I know this as the SST 90 was popular when the turbo head came out.

Sorry not alot of help on this one. I would think that a OP would do better but that is just an opinion.

Dave

thundertree

Enlightened
No worries and it's much appreciated getting back to me with your opinion on the XML vs FM Turbo C Head donut issue. I'll try a little more testing on my end. At least I have an xpg2 that seems to be working fairly well at the moment with the Turbo head. :)

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
No worries and it's much appreciated getting back to me with your opinion on the XML vs FM Turbo C Head donut issue. I'll try a little more testing on my end. At least I have an xpg2 that seems to be working fairly well at the moment with the Turbo head. :)

Hi

Where you get the shadows is that the turbo head is like a big magnifying glass and it often shows the emitters core make up. With the STT90 the emitter was so big you got like a butterfly effect from the emitters make up. The XPG2 is a much smaller chip and thus much less shadows and such. At about 400 lumens for a coolwhite it should be quite a thrower.

Dave

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi

Well this is a tough one, if you are looking strictly for a flood light the SST 50 might be the way to go but I still would not go past 3.5 amps since after 30 seconds on a single 18650 you will NOT be any higher on amperage. The SST 50 is a good flood light but probably not anymore or even quite as much as the MCE you ordered from me. Since the MCE is a quad die it is about as floody as it gets.

Now if you are just looking for sheer output with good spill then the U3 running at 3.5 amps or direct drive is about as powerful as you will get. Just remember that the direct drive doesn't have low voltage protection like most of my regulated do. It is hard to beat the new tech that Cree has, while the SST 50 was a monster in its time and especially in a maglite with big heatsinks but now the XML is a real monster in its own right.

Sorry to be a bit wishy washy but that is a hard call. If using in a 6P remember that SST 50 is a tall emitter.

Dave

Got ya. Thank you very much for the incredible input/feedback :)

I'll end up going with an XM-L, but 5000K (3B tint) U2 @ 3.5A from you when I get back. I'm leaving town for about a week in a few days so I'll order when I get back.

No worries at all about being "wishy washy," your response was 110% helpful!

I'm real short on P60 modules I own vs. bodies I own, so I'll be buying more than one I hope when I return. probably an XP-E2 and another XP-G2 if I sell this Canon lens so I can add those two modules in with my XM-L order. Thanks man!

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi All

Either Wed or Thursday I will have Coolwhite U2 XML2's / T6 5000k XML2's / and 4500k XML2's in stock. I will let you all know more when they arrive. Until they arrive I won't have specific tints but as always the kits I have ordered will produce the proper tints.

thanks

Dave

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi All

Either Wed or Thursday I will have Coolwhite U2 XML2's / T6 5000k XML2's / and 4500k XML2's in stock. I will let you all know more when they arrive. Until they arrive I won't have specific tints but as always the kits I have ordered will produce the proper tints.

thanks

Dave

nice man, good work!

i may have to skip the 5000K XM-L and get a 5000K XM-L2 pushed real hard. we'll see

SwatDude

Newly Enlightened
Dave,

Do the XML2's differ from the XML's in anything other than sheer output and efficiency? I will be orderering the U2 when you post up but I would like a little more info about how these run in excess of your normal 3 amp drivers.

Thanks,

Bryan

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave,

Do the XML2's differ from the XML's in anything other than sheer output and efficiency? I will be orderering the U2 when you post up but I would like a little more info about how these run in excess of your normal 3 amp drivers.

Thanks,

Bryan

Hi

You are correct the beam angle has not decreased like the XPG2's did. The beam angle is still 125 degrees just like the XML's were. The only difference is a bit lower VF and a bit more output. As for running higher than 3 amps the choice is yours but anything much higher is tough on batteries and often a Very short lived thing as most 18650's will soon sag running much higher than 3 amps.

Dave

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
HI

I now have the following XML2 modules, drivers levels are the same as for the XML's and are listed with these emitters on the first page.

U2 flux 6500k coolwhite
T6 flux 5000k neutral white
T5 flux 4500k neutral white.

These are only available in modules, there are not enough emitters to sell separate at this time.

Thanks

Dave

Robert_M

Newly Enlightened
Cree XM-L2 U2 ($40),
Potting with Cu Tape,
One level regulated, 2.8-6V, 3A driver,
Smooth Reflector,
Host: Solar Force L2T.
Using one AW18650 LiCoO2 (3100mAh).
Total=$40.
Robert_M

:paypal:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi

You are correct the beam angle has not decreased like the XPG2's did. The beam angle is still 125 degrees just like the XML's were. The only difference is a bit lower VF and a bit more output. As for running higher than 3 amps the choice is yours but anything much higher is tough on batteries and often a Very short lived thing as most 18650's will soon sag running much higher than 3 amps.

Dave

HI

I now have the following XML2 modules, drivers levels are the same as for the XML's and are listed with these emitters on the first page.

U2 flux 6500k coolwhite
T6 flux 5000k neutral white
T5 flux 4500k neutral white.

These are only available in modules, there are not enough emitters to sell separate at this time.

Thanks

Dave

thanks NB! so since I'm looking at a 3.5A module with a 5000K temp, it probably won't be any difference at all whether I go with a 5000K XM-L2 or XM-L? I realize the efficiency being different ('lower' on the XM-L2 @ T6 and 'higher' on the XM-L @ U2) is because the XM-L2 is technically rated at 85*C.

Either way, however, I doubt it makes a difference for how I run my lights (I always recharge around ~3.90 volts on my secondaries).

unless I really get a nice 'oomph' on the XM-L2 insofar as output over the XM-L.

I should probably just get the XM-L2 anyways?

Last edited:

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks NB! so since I'm looking at a 3.5A module with a 5000K temp, it probably won't be any difference at all whether I go with a 5000K XM-L2 or XM-L? I realize the efficiency being different ('lower' on the XM-L2 @ T6 and 'higher' on the XM-L @ U2) is because the XM-L2 is technically rated at 85*C.

Either way, however, I doubt it makes a difference for how I run my lights (I always recharge around ~3.90 volts on my secondaries).

unless I really get a nice 'oomph' on the XM-L2 insofar as output over the XM-L.

I should probably just get the XM-L2 anyways?

Hi

I would think either will serve you great. I have not had time to really get into the XML2's since they just arrived and since I have a full afternoon of putting up new lights for the site I doubt I will be able to compare until later tomorrow. Any orders of course will ship tomorrow just will take me a bit to compare with XML's I have.

I seriously doubt you will be disappointed with the new emitters.

Dave

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi

I would think either will serve you great. I have not had time to really get into the XML2's since they just arrived and since I have a full afternoon of putting up new lights for the site I doubt I will be able to compare until later tomorrow. Any orders of course will ship tomorrow just will take me a bit to compare with XML's I have.

I seriously doubt you will be disappointed with the new emitters.

Dave

gotcha, I don't doubt I'll be 10000% satisfied anyways lol

I can't wait to get back and order some modules from you. I'll keep an eye on this thread as usual to see what you post with regards to your thoughts on the new XM-L2 emitters as well.

thanks man!