P60 sized led drop-ins (part 3)

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a new R2 module that can run on both 2x18650 and also 4x123?

Meaning between 7.4V and 12V.

grosoiseau

Newly Enlightened
I received the DX Trustfire TR-C2 MCE P60 today. It pulls 1.8A from a 18650. It has good output but no where near a P7 Aurora, it also has the crumby cree rings. The tint is very indcandescent like. The hot spot isn't as strong as the UF501B R2, it is sort of a floody light with poor beam quality. The host is of nice quality. It has memory High-Low-Strobe. Not bad for under $35.

I own this ligth too and I agree with you. This light has less outpout than 1*18650 Aurora 8 mode ssc P7, but is at least 25% smaller and has better runtime.

Maybe some expert on this forum could answer me, does the
dx Q5 drop in at 16.90 USD worth the price in front of the MCE P60 drop in ? Could I hope for a brighter outpout ?

Pöbel

Enlightened
The MCE Drop-In in that light is crap. Heatsinking does not excist, terrible whining and pwm flicker.

I would only recommend a more powerful P60 Dropin if you have sufficient heatsinking - which means solutions requireing the outer spring for the module will not work for very long.

@grosoiseau

if you want flood, what you need is a MCE dropin. If you want throw, go for the q5 dropin.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
The MCE Drop-In in that light is crap. Heatsinking does not excist, terrible whining and pwm flicker.

I would only recommend a more powerful P60 Dropin if you have sufficient heatsinking - which means solutions requireing the outer spring for the module will not work for very long.

@grosoiseau

if you want flood, what you need is a MCE dropin. If you want throw, go for the q5 dropin.

FWIW, the malkoff P7 direct drive module gets HOT too. Thats just the nature of the beast, unfortunately.

I think the operators of these modules need to take caution and not leave the light on and unattended for long periods.

if you are using a 6P as host, You guys might want to try foil wrapping the module so it makes tight contact with the body. I find it makes a difference with all my modules.

Pöbel

Enlightened
It depends. If the heatsinking is good than super bright will work for short periods. If there is no heatsinking (i.e. with the outer spring installed, which is not the case with malcoff) than you will get :poof: within minutes

pustefix8965

Newly Enlightened
DX sku 12501 on Romisen M4

Hi all,

I've the DX sku 12501 (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12501) which is a Q2 5A. I dropped it in my Romisen M4 and it is very bright, brigther than the stock P4 that came with M4. I am using protected 18650.

However, it became very hot after a few minutes, much hotter than the P4 and much hotter than all my other lights e.g. Fenix L1D/L2D, Romisen N3, Akoray. If I leave it on for 10 mins, it will be too hot to hold comfortably. Is it safe to use this drop in? Is there any way to improve it? Does using 2xCR123 helps?

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a Surefire nOOb... :welcome:

A P60 drop-in will fit a 6P right? And does someone know where I can get a P7 drop-in... (with a really low low) :whistle::eek:

Regards

that would mean 750mA-1000mA instead of the 2800mA speced?

Then make it yourself....DX bare module, DX 3256 driver, yor choice of P7...

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to add this drop-in to the database

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11075

What makes it special is that it has 5 modes (Lo, med, high, strobe, SOS) and works from 3 - 15 volts, no other driver on the list does that.

The stock P4 WC is very white but it can be replaced with a higher Bin Cree.

AlexGT

Last edited:

Bruce B

Enlightened
P60 Drop-ins?

Are there any companies that make P60 drop-ins that measure out their lumens from the front like surefire does rather than at the bulb?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Re: P60 Drop-ins?

I don't know of any.

The only lamps I would buy besides SF would be LumensFactory. come to think of it I wouldn't buy SF lamps anymore because of the flexibility of LF.

I hope you find what you're after.

Bruce B

Enlightened

I know of the LF bulbs, but it seems like the P60 size drops mainly run off RCR's and not Primaries.

Not that using RCR's is bad, but I'd prefer to have the ability to run Primaries as a front line and backup battery.

Also I might look into a Malkoff once I get some $$$.

Marduke

Flashaholic

Most of the dropins run equally well on both primaries and RCR123's. I can't think of a single one that accepts only 2xRCR123 and not 2xCR123.

Some of Malkoff's have been measured in an integrating sphere. The results are in a sticky thread.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

OH you're after LED's?!:oops:

I though you were after actual bulbs and the thread just landed in the wrong spot.
:ohgeez:Sorry!

I think almost everybody's lumen ratings are exaggerated except for Malkoff and Deerelight.

Bruce B

Enlightened

OH you're after LED's?!:oops:

I though you were after actual bulbs and the thread just landed in the wrong spot.
:ohgeez:Sorry!

I think almost everybody's lumen ratings are exaggerated except for Malkoff and Deerelight.

Okay and while I am a flashoholic, I am still considered a "newbie". So does Deerelight make any P60 sized LED drop-ins that have a good high lumen output and decent runtime?