P60 sized led drop-ins (part 3)

Ryanrpm

Enlightened

johns

Newly Enlightened
I realized that it was the 17670 that Superdave meant - going to get the MC-E to go with it - Thanks guys!!

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I just purchased this today....so when it comes in, I'll do a mini review for you guys. I plan on using it in my Solarforce L2M with a single AW 3.7v IMR16340.:popcorn:

I played around with a co-workers (DX version) and its VERY bright for a $23 drop in. You could spend 1.5-2 times this much and get noticeably less lumen output from other builders. The low output mode was very impressive too. Its still in the 100+ lumen range.

My assumption based on a quick broad daylight demo was in the 300++ Lumen range for high. IMHO its a great module... really nice beam with some Cree-rings. so white wall hunters will not like this aspect. Color tint was on the colder side too (at least for the DX version). When my co worker and I were playing around with the module, we noted some chunky-sloppy soldering between the DC board and brass pill. He accidentally pulled the solder off the DC board when removing the large spring (!!). So... DX build quality still leaves a lot to be desired. Fortunately, its a simple fix... no need to RMA it back IMHO.

It looks like DX updated the reflector for this MC-E module. I was expecting an XR-E module reflector drilled out differently for the MC-E.... but it looked at a glance like DX chose to re-design it. One way to confirm this would be to screw an XR-E pill (11836, 6090, 17593...etc...) into the MC-E reflector and vise versa.... to see if the parabolic curve of the reflectors gives different beam patterns.

I was surprised how concentrated the beam hot spot is for a 4-die emitter. The DX-MCE has a tighter spot concentration than the Malkoff P7, which has virtually no hot spot and really is a wall of flood.

I was thinking about it last night, regarding those insulating ridges DX decided to mill out of the reflector barrel. If you really wanted to maximize thermal conductivity you could fill those ridges with thermal epoxy and then file/dremel it smooth. Drop it into a 6P or L2 host with a little foil wrap action and you'll have a cooler running LED.

IMHO the MC-E paired with a solarforce L2-18650 would make an OUTSTANDING $50 budget setup... capable of out-gunning other lights costing 2-3x as much.

Last edited:

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
More DX MC-E drop-in impressions here:

I'm still waiting for my P60 host but I found I could use this by pressing it onto the top of my TR801 body, however since it is not properly heatsinked at all doing this, I am only running for 10-15 seconds max at a time. Regardless I've got some thoughts on it.

-Floody, but not as floody as expected. Similar beam pattern to MTE 5-mode 16092 which is surprising considering how much smaller the P60 drop-in's reflector is. There is a definite hot-spot here compared to the other P7/MC-E drop-ins I've seen

-Output is very good, much higher than my L2D turbo but a noticeable amount dimmer than MTE P7 on fully charged batteries (there is some debate as to whether that MTE is acutally regulated though so the outputs may be closer when the batteries are at a lower working voltage).

-Estimated output: 350 lumens high, 125 lumens low

-Tint: slightly cool

-Seems to remember last mode you were on

-Some rings and faint donut hole visible on walls, but seems fine when used for typical purposes.

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
I actually bought the slightly more expensive one from Kaidomain....not the one from DX.

I think they are identical, but jumped for the KD one anyways since I haven't read much on here about it.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good that you have the Solarforce D26 module coming. I will wait your feedback about brightness and primaries capability.
I wish we had some bean shots comparing the Solarforce D26 with other one cell lights

I got the Solarforce L2M with single mode D26 module today and it doesn't work with a primary. Must be a Buck rather than buck/boost converter. Its a bit brighter than my cheap homemade D26 with a cree P4 and 1.5v-4.5v buck/boost converter.

I'll try to get some beamshots tonight. Here are my current single cell D26 modules:

M30
Solarforce single mode
homemade P4 with buck/boost
MC-E multi mode by nailbender

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, here are some beamshots I took with my single cell D26 modules (and a few others).

The lights, in order of appearance:
Solarforce P2M with Nailbender MC-E module
3P with M30
3P with Solarforce D26 single speed
G1 with homemade buck/boost and Cree P4
Dorcy mod with KL1 TIR optic and Cree P4
Nightcore D10 R2 on high

Nailbender MC-E

M30

Solarforce single speed

Homemade buck/boost with cree P4

Dorcy mod

Nitecore D10 R2

I included the last two just for a comparison.

Animated:
animated.gif

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
I played around with a co-workers (DX version) and its VERY bright for a $23 drop in. You could spend 1.5-2 times this much and get noticeably less lumen output from other builders. The low output mode was very impressive too. Its still in the 100+ lumen range........

It looks like DX updated the reflector for this MC-E module. I was expecting an XR-E module reflector drilled out differently for the MC-E.... but it looked at a glance like DX chose to re-design it. One way to confirm this would be to screw an XR-E pill (11836, 6090, 17593...etc...) into the MC-E reflector and vise versa.... to see if the parabolic curve of the reflectors gives different beam patterns................

IMHO the MC-E paired with a solarforce L2-18650 would make an OUTSTANDING $50 budget setup... capable of out-gunning other lights costing 2-3x as much.

+

To chime in on the DX MC-E drop-in,...I have to +1 the things already said.

It is a damn bright P60 drop-in!!!!

Really like the new parabolic reflector, (hopefully DX will sell them soon in the DIY section) like to use these with some other 'drops.
The beam pattern surprised me, its close to the Wolf-Eyes Fox1, which was very unique. Tint is coolish.

Throw is medium, but the amount of light within its beam is big,...big, big.
Its bounce test is ridiculous..
icon4.gif

I wrapped the reflector with 6~7 turns of copper wire to add material & heatsinking proprieties.... now it's real connected with the head/bezel of my older HuntLight.
(actually, just barely fit back together)

Memory is for 1 minute,..so after that, it starts on High. Heads up.

Overall, I give it a big :thumbsup: for an inexpensive drop-in.

Last edited:

chris626

Newly Enlightened
hi my name is chris ive been reading the fourms a lot for info in upgrading my surefire 6p and just regestered. right now i have a wolfeyes drop in "digital cree LED HO 3.7v-6.0v" is on the label i believe it is rated at 170 lumens. and i am using 1 17670 AW Li-ion battery. i just ordered one of the DX M-CE dropins that are being discussed. i noticed that on hi the dropin uses 2800mA, but my battery is rated at only1600mA will running the DX drop in be too tough on my battery? Will the preformence of the M-CE be effected?

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
hi my name is chris ive been reading the fourms a lot for info in upgrading my surefire 6p and just regestered. right now i have a wolfeyes drop in "digital cree LED HO 3.7v-6.0v" is on the label i believe it is rated at 170 lumens. and i am using 1 17670 AW Li-ion battery. i just ordered one of the DX M-CE dropins that are being discussed. i noticed that on hi the dropin uses 2800mA, but my battery is rated at only1600mA will running the DX drop in be too tough on my battery? Will the preformence of the M-CE be effected?

Assuming the ONLY difference between your 17670 and a good 18650 is the capacity, then the only difference should be run time.

I have some Japanese panasonic 17670s and some Samsung ICR18650 and I can tell a difference in brightness, with my 1350mah XR-E modules. So, I think there's more to it than merely capacity and run time.

Last edited:

chris626

Newly Enlightened
o ok... so ill just get a lower runtime with the 17670. has anyone tried this drop in with a 17670? if so do you have an approx. run time?

o and thanks for the welcome! its nice to be able to write back!!:twothumbs

ohy.... my friends are already sayin ive spent too mugh on my light....

fishx65

Enlightened
Just got my first drop in for a very old 6R/P. I picked up the R2 module from DX. It's much brighter then the P61 I've always used and I'm pretty sure this 6P will never see another incan bulb. The extended runtime is gonna be more then welcome! I did notice that both the R2s I picked up have a much cooler color then any of my other XREs. Think I might put the extender on and see what happens when I run three primary 123s. Will this give me more runtime?

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L2 and L2M body finally came in so I could try out my drop ins. Here are my comments and if I can get ahold of a camera I'll get some beamshots, I'm doing runtime tests as well and will add in the results as they come:

Solarforce R2: Mine came with the single mode output which I wasn't expecting but I prefer. Output is very good with both one Li-Ion or two. The beam is pretty throw oriented with decent spill, there is some moderate ringiness in the beam though. Cooler tone. Runtime is about 45 minutes on Trustfire 880mAh 16340 cell.

DX Q2 5A: Nice warm-ish color, good output but not as high as the R2 (which is to be expected). Good throw, but not as tight as the Solarfroce R2. However the beam is cleaner with only mild ringiness slightly noticeable. Seems brighter on 2 cells but still good on 1 but I didn't really focus on that so I could be wrong. Runtime is about 40 minutes on Trustfire 880mAh 16340 cell.

DX MC-E: Big output, floody but still a defined beam compared to others I've seen. Beam is a little ugly with some rings and a small donut that is noticeable on some walls but not in general use. Also has a lower 125 lumen-ish mode (which is nice to have) and a fast strobe (not a fan). Coolish colour tone. Seems to be one cell only, however I did accidentally turn it on with 2 cells for about 2 seconds before realizing, and no:poof:

The amount of lego possibilities is pretty cool but my favorite combo seem to be: L2 18650 with MC-E for output and L2M with Q2 5A for nice jacket light.

Last edited:

Fizz753

Newly Enlightened
( We interrupt this thread to bring you breaking news! )

Just a quick note to let you know the list has been updated with the drop in's that Battery Junction offers. And as always if you see something that needs added, changed or anything else just let me know. It's pretty much impossible for me to keep an eye on every source out there. :)

Thanks everyone!

( We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum thread already in progress. )

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
Solarforce R2: Mine came with the single mode output which I wasn't expecting but I prefer. Output is very good with both one Li-Ion or two. The beam is pretty throw oriented with decent spill, there is some moderate ringiness in the beam though. Cooler tone. Runtime is about 45 minutes on Trustfire 880mAh 16340 cell.

I did a runtime test with mine(L2M with AW IMR16340)....and got 65min runtime. Did it 2 times in a row to be sure....seems like it is regulated because all of a sudden the light went out.