P60 sized led drop-ins (part 3)

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm semi sensitive to PWM and the Nailbender (and Vinhs) drops don't bug me.
I think they use a pretty high frequency.

Really diggin the 4C tint XMLs & smooth reflectors these days.

I feel like LOP isnt necessary w XML

merlocka

Enlightened
Hello-

I'm interested in the following P60 dropin

High CRI (My current carry light is a Novatac with the K2 high CRI mod, that color is perfect to my eyes)
Solid output (say, ~2 hour runtime on a good 18650)
TIR Optic (or otherwise, I'd really like a beam profile similar to the UB3T)
Capable to run of 18650 or 2 CR123's

This would go in either a bored 6p host or a CL1H.

Thanks for any advice.

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
Hello-

I'm interested in the following P60 dropin

High CRI (My current carry light is a Novatac with the K2 high CRI mod, that color is perfect to my eyes)
Solid output (say, ~2 hour runtime on a good 18650)
TIR Optic (or otherwise, I'd really like a beam profile similar to the UB3T)
Capable to run of 18650 or 2 CR123's

This would go in either a bored 6p host or a CL1H.

Thanks for any advice.

My advice: Have Nailbender build one for you. I don't know if he rates CRI, but he has neutrals and warms, and will put an optic on an XR-E.
I used my neutral last night, and though the tint looks slightly warm, the color rendition is as good as my M61W (which is quite neutral.)
I prefer it to my M61L HCri - which actually makes everything look a little yellow/brown to my eyes.
Or get in on Vinh's Nichina 219 build - but I don't think he does an optic; it's liable to be a little "floody."

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
How about getting the OP updated with all the current options?

Add to the list:

EDC+: XM-L in 1 and 3 mode, Cool and Neutral

Coming very soon, through (different) specific vendors:
Malkoff M61 regular, L, and LL in Neutral XP-G,
Malkoff M61 regular, L, and LL in Hi CRI Neutral 219.

They change so quickly, it's hard to keep up.

lightrider

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered an XT-E R5 3 mode high/med/low smooth reflector P60. According to specs this is 148 lumen per watt 420 lumen at 1.5a. XPG is 93 lumen per watt and about 490 at 1.5a. Not quite as bright as XPG but with longer run time.seems good value at $8.

trdsupragt

Newly Enlightened
Not sure if this is on topic, but I've got a P60 type LED light and I was wondering if there was any way I could give it a wider beam without losing any light.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if this is on topic, but I've got a P60 type LED light and I was wondering if there was any way I could give it a wider beam without losing any light.
From my limited understanding yes you will lose some amount of light. A bare emitter will have no light lost (imagine a bare emitter like a candle), but this isn't really useful for flashlight applications. Adding a reflector and a lens adds inefficiencies and decreases light output (which is reduced by the fancy anti-reflective coatings on the reflector and lens). I would think that adding another surface to disperse the light, such as scotch tape, a diffuser cap, or some other type of system will increase the inefficiencies and decrease the overall luman output.

That being said, this probably doesn't matter practicality wise, and you might not even notice depending on the method used to alter the beam pattern. There are some beam diffuser threads out there, if a diffuser system works and provides you with a beam pattern that you like and is functional I would use it. There are diffuser attachments from Fenix and other manufacturers, scotch tape, specific lenses, water bottle caps, etc. I don't use beam diffusers so I don't have any good recommendations, you might be better off starting a new thread for specific info. Here is a thread a found in a quick search: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?278507-Cheap-diffuser.

EDIT: Simple solution I forgot to mention is to change the reflector if the design allows this and you can find one. An OP (orange peel) reflector will make the beam wider or more floody.

Last edited:

Blitzwing

Enlightened

Depends on what sort of LED emitter is in the P60 dropin you already have. If for example it' an XR-E (or commonly known as R2 or Q5) which by default has a narrowish beam, you could buy a cheap dropin with an XP-G (or R5 as it's commonly known) or even XM-L, matched with an orange peel reflector and you will pick up output in lumens and get more flood. Most P60 owners have several dropins for their lights for this easy sort of customisation.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Samsung emitter drop-in w/ medium parabolic reflector.
The die itself is close to xp-g in size.

I'll go out on a limb and say it's the most sorted emitter for a drop-in to date, yep I'll claim it here!
the beam is flawless leaning toward throw (zero doughnut aspect)
Usable spill, but the hotspot it pronounced.

Anyone spare a light amber filter? :thumbsup:

^^^ On High > approx 6~7 ft. away
the actual hotspot is smaller than what shows in pic., then there is a hotspot spill, if you will.

Last edited:

MattSPL

Enlightened
Just looking for suggestions for a P60 drop in that will give me a bright white wall of light, like a Surefire L4, except better :)

It will be going into a Surefire C2L, and will be run off either 2x AW LifeP04's, or a single AW 17670 protected cell.

Will a Malkoff M60F give me what i'm looking for, or are there better options?

Cheers
Matt

trdsupragt

Newly Enlightened
I think what i'm looking for is I guess a lens, that would make the beam wider and more suitable for night cycling.

Although I have experimented with things like bottle caps and such before. Quite interesting and sometimes very handy solutions when you don't need those fancy 30 to 40 dollar SureFire attachments.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think what i'm looking for is I guess a lens, that would make the beam wider and more suitable for night cycling.

Although I have experimented with things like bottle caps and such before. Quite interesting and sometimes very handy solutions when you don't need those fancy 30 to 40 dollar SureFire attachments.

I like Scotch frosted removable tape when I want more flood on my throwier drops.

1986 Corolla GTS AE86 ;)

Roood

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, just a quick question, I currently have a SolarForce XML T6 (claims to have 800lumens) and a XPG R5 (320 lumens). I tested both on an AW 18650 and 2x CR123 SureFire. The R5 beats the T6 for some reason. Do I need to use special batteries on the T6 to get its max output?