• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

P60vn Light Engines

I think something like a Ultrafire 502B host would get you to where you wanted to be, with shipping and everything included.

Somewhat, although it doesn't seem to have much heatsinking capabilities, since it was designed for 1k lumen output rather than 10k. I would imagine the right candidate would need some major fins to disperse the temperature.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep looking for something similar!

Keitho

Enlightened
Currently have ... a Osram Square HCRI OP CuHS in an L2T stainless.

How do you like the L2T? I'm thinking the mass will be a good match for a higher-powered P60vn, and I can't wait to get it in my hands to try side-by-side with the SLN.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
what is the Triple Osram Square HCRI ?

3500K Osram Square 90CRI. Gorgeous tint, lovely triple setup. I clock about 1100lm on an MJ1. Not super high output, but extremely amazing tint. One of my favorites ever, closest to an old XM-L v1 3000K 90CRI that I have seen. If you are looking for a nice 1000~ lumen EDC P60 it's a fantastic option.

How do you like the L2T? I'm thinking the mass will be a good match for a higher-powered P60vn, and I can't wait to get it in my hands to try side-by-side with the SLN.

The L2T is actually quite a nice host! I don't know if stainless steel is good thermally with flashlights but it sure is heftier, so maybe? It feels very solid but it's also quite heavy compared to even the chunkiest of aluminum lights. Overall very nice to use, makes frequent trips out to the chicken coop at night with it since it's firefly is so low with the 3500K Osram Square 90CRI in there.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
3500K Osram Square 90CRI. Gorgeous tint, lovely triple setup. I clock about 1100lm on an MJ1. Not super high output, but extremely amazing tint. One of my favorites ever, closest to an old XM-L v1 3000K 90CRI that I have seen. If you are looking for a nice 1000~ lumen EDC P60 it's a fantastic option.

The L2T is actually quite a nice host! I don't know if stainless steel is good thermally with flashlights but it sure is heftier, so maybe? SS is complete junk when it comes to heat sinking. I can literally hold large bezel bare hand and heat the other side to red without feeling much warmth.

It feels very solid but it's also quite heavy compared to even the chunkiest of aluminum lights. Its tough alright! haha
Overall very nice to use, makes frequent trips out to the chicken coop at night with it since it's firefly is so low with the 3500K Osram Square 90CRI in there.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL you're nuts Vinh! I love it.

I guess that makes sense though, come to think of it I have yet to feel any heat from my single OP 3500K Square CRI on max... I thought that dropin was going to be placed somewhere else, but I really like it in this host for some reason. It's a very appropriate pairing.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vinh, can your drivers be programmed to work at higher voltages? Can VN4 be programmed to manage the higher voltage of cells in series for a regular dropin?

I have a 9P I'd really love to put one of your P60vn Lil Vortex/ 650.2s into running 2x18650 in series. Would that also allow for higher outputs from the lil vortex series?

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Vinh, can your drivers be programmed to work at higher voltages? Can VN4 be programmed to manage the higher voltage of cells in series for a regular dropin? In short YES. This is why I have plans to make a 2*21700 and 4*21700 body for SLN.

I have a 9P I'd really love to put one of your P60vn Lil Vortex/ 650.2s into running 2x18650 in series. P650.2 and 2*18650 Would kick *** so hard it should put out like +20-24K LED Lumen and 14-17K OTF Lumen at turn on!!! But you better have a twisty. I dont know if RS54 can handle the load.

Would that also allow for higher outputs from the lil vortex series? LilV is best for single cell only. I designed it this way. The goal with LilV was to make the brightest wall of light with the best tint and HCRI.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well that is sure exciting, off to find some sort of twisty for my 9P!

Definitely going to be diving into that idea deeper. I'll email you about it. Gotta find a twisty first but maybe that wouldn't be too hard to rig up....

Can a quad P60vn fit four SST-40 LEDs? 2x21700 should push around 2k lumen out of each, perhaps...

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Well that is sure exciting, off to find some sort of twisty for my 9P!

Definitely going to be diving into that idea deeper. I'll email you about it. Gotta find a twisty first but maybe that wouldn't be too hard to rig up....

Can a quad P60vn fit four SST-40 LEDs? 2x21700 should push around 2k lumen out of each, perhaps...

R we talking 4 SST40 with optics?

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
R we talking 4 SST40 with optics?

Yes! I don't think I have ever seen a triple or quad with an SST-40, they are an XM-L footprint I believe. Maybe the 5x5 footprint is too big? Don't think I've ever seen a quad XM-L light either, perhaps that's why......

It'd make a great balance of big big output with just enough push to be a very usable wall of light.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Yes! I don't think I have ever seen a triple or quad with an SST-40, they are an XM-L footprint I believe. Maybe the 5x5 footprint is too big? Don't think I've ever seen a quad XM-L light either, perhaps that's why......

It'd make a great balance of big big output with just enough push to be a very usable wall of light.

Yeah we are lacking optics support. Otherwise 4 SST40 5000K would be nice.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vinh, RE Twisty tailcap for surefire for higher current P60vn 650.2- do you know if the stock Z41 twisty can handle that kind of load? Any Twisty is OK

Think I'm gonna pull the trigger on one of these 650.2s ASAP and have you set it up for multiple cells. I can set up 650.2 to run on 2 cell right now if you have a host for it.

Is there a way to give it a voltage range/ is there a voltage range for these dropins?
Single cell is typically 3-6V. 2*CR123A is OK in most P60vn but not recommeded.
Dual cell is 5-8.4V

Can it be set by the user at a later time? No. Its different driver.

I recall seeing some of your drivers with the ability to note # of cells, but don't recall ever seeing anything about that for VN4.

Last edited by a moderator:

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just saw these edits, but since the 650.2 has been put on hold. Vinh, do you think a CRYOS cooling head will help alleviate the issues? Is there some sort of safe max?

I really want some sort of massive output dropin to run in my extended 9P!

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lil Vortex is INSANE!

My example is 4x SST-20 2700K and 8x XP-L HI V6 5000K. These are ROUGH numbers but as someone who only likes mules to fool around- this thing puts out incredible amounts of light which effect is obvious.

I am running it in my SLN, and I got some interesting numbers. I tested output in my 3.5" Texas Ace Lumens Tube, which generally reads 15-20% lower with mules.

On a 30T cell, without the head in place, I got a whopping 5,600lm turn-on, so safe to say it's over 6000 lumens of LED output. With the head it's much more around 3800lm (as it reads on meter), but does quickly step down due to heat. This max doesn't last too long, once you start eating into the cell's capacity you hover much more around the 3500lm mark.

The 40T got roughly 5000 lumens as well, so did the 50E and between the two the 50E's output wasn't much less and the 1000mAh more capacity makes it the obvious choice here. With the head fully on it runs around 2800-3200lm. Again, these numbers are probably 15-20% below true figures given how mules typically perform in my tube. I am mostly basing this off of comparing my numbers with Vinh's numbers and Zak's numbers over on /r/flashlight running the same floody lights.

So all in all, if you want to take it for a blast, load up a 30T. If you genuinely just want to use it, the 50E is a stellar option that allows you almost more lumens/ hour given how much more stable and consistent the turbo is, and that you don't really loose all that much given on a 30T it steps down so fast you end up riding similar brightness. I look forwards to trying this thing cooled. Trouble is I will not be able to measure output in my tube- I'll have to try the ceiling bounce app.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Great feedback about the Lil Vortex. I enjoyed reading about these details. Thanks for taking the time, dot!

Keitho

Enlightened
I was having a devil of a time with one of my P60vn's, getting it to change from one mode group to another. I adjusted the thermal regulation temp, and then couldn't get it to change to a different mode group. It took me 30 minutes before I tried toggling the programming lock (10-11-10). Turns out, I accidentally toggled it when adjusting the temp! It seems that the driver, when locked out, still behaves the same (10 clicks then dim/slow blink, 1-8 clicks then fast blink, 1-10 clicks then double blink), but then just goes back to the previous mode group; so, it took my slow brain a long, long time to think that I was locked out.

VN4 is great; hope my experience helps someone else think of the programming lock quicker than I did!