Panasonic cell stuck in Zebralight SC600

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let it rest in a pan of hot water for X amount of seconds, "hot" and "X" being defined by you and then whacking it out. The rates that an 18650 cell shrinks and an Alcoa aluminum flashlight body shrinks, might (not) be linear.

Chris

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
When this gets resolved, I'd like some insight into what caused the battery to stick in the first place. Is the cell just too fat for the light?

pageyjim

Enlightened
When this gets resolved, I'd like some insight into what caused the battery to stick in the first place. Is the cell just too fat for the light?

I was trying to match up my cells and lights up for best use without buying new cells. It is a finicky light as far as cells are concerned, it is really designed to use unprotected cells. The only unprotected cells I have are older salvaged laptop cells which don't last long in it. Not really designed for this light imo. I have several protected cells that work OK in it like Keeppower and Eagletec cells. The Keeppower cells all seem to have higher resistance so I didn't want to use them in this light. The Eagletec's all had low resistance close to each other so I wanted to keep them in multicell lights. So I had a couple Panasonics with low resistance and I tried one. It was short enough to work fine but is a little fat as you said and I just went that tad bit too far and here I am.

In short "the cell just too fat for the light"

ven

Flashaholic
Also the strip down the side could get damaged and risk a short. ZL do state unprotected only, the sanyo GA work well, along with samsung 30Q flat tops, vtc5/vtc5a and vtc6. Anything else risks damaging the light, be it the spring/pogo or cell itself. $6 ish for a cell, would invest in a couple for the light.

As said, cap on and put in some hot water for 10m or so(without shocking as a potential cracked lens, so maybe heat from warm in a pan), using gloves the cell should come out with the al body expanding a little.

pageyjim

Enlightened
Also the strip down the side could get damaged and risk a short. ZL do state unprotected only, the sanyo GA work well, along with samsung 30Q flat tops, vtc5/vtc5a and vtc6. Anything else risks damaging the light, be it the spring/pogo or cell itself. $6 ish for a cell, would invest in a couple for the light.

As said, cap on and put in some hot water for 10m or so(without shocking as a potential cracked lens, so maybe heat from warm in a pan), using gloves the cell should come out with the al body expanding a little.

Good advice I was being cheap with the cells.

pageyjim

Enlightened
I got the cell out using Gorilla Glue and a nail. I feel happy and stupid at the same time. I think I can still save the cell too, we'll see. Thanks to all who responded.

Soverign

Newly Enlightened
Glad you got it out. I was going to suggest if you could to remove the head off the light and even if there is a circuit board in the way you can possibly use air pressure, blow or compressed air to push the cell out.

ven

Flashaholic
Unfortunately (in this case) you can not remove the heads, only the tail cap.

Good news!!! Now treat it to a sanyo/pany GA 3500mah or vtc6:poke:

pageyjim

Enlightened
Unfortunately (in this case) you can not remove the heads, only the tail cap.

Good news!!! Now treat it to a sanyo/pany GA 3500mah or vtc6:poke:

YES! Just ordered some Sanyo's.

Last edited:

Latest posts