PD32 flashlight

manhong

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased a Fenix PD32 flashlight and Surefire CR123a batteries off Ebay. For some reason the flashlight doesn't work at all. Can you use Surefire CR123a batteries with a Fenix PD32 flashlight? I double checked and made sure the battery alignment was correct (+/-, +/-) and that the tailcap was on tight. I tried it with 2 different sets of Surefire CR123a batteries with no luck. I don't have another CR123a flashlight to try the batteries on unfortunately. I thought about buying some energizer batteries from the local store to rule out the batteries.

I feel pretty dumb, but am I missing something?

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the Surefire are regular CR123 it should work no problem. On the batteries it should read the voltage, what does it say?

You can try to do the following:
1. Check if the same batteries work in another flashlight
2. Check that the ring insidee the tailcap is tightened - use needlenose pliers or if you don't have them at hand even scissors from a Victorinox knife will do the job
3. Clean the threads and contacts with a cotton swab

If the above doesn't work, there's another couple of tests you can do but chances are you got a defective flashlight.

It doesn't happen very often with Fenix lights but it still happens, just like with any other brand. I have bought over 15 Fenix lights over the past couple of years and they all worked fine but the other day I received a TK12 and had to send it back for replacement because it was defective.

Last edited:

manhong

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your feedback. I decided to buy a set of Energizer Lithium CR123 batteries from Home Depot and got the same result (no light). I am chalking it up to a defective light. The guy I bought it off of on Ebay is going to ship me a new one after he gets the old one back. The Surefire batteries I was using said 3V on the casing.

This is my first "high end" flashlight and it turns out to be a dud. Can't wait to get one that works because of all of the positive reviews. I just wish the turbo mode would not downgrade to high after 30 minutes.

LightCrazy

Enlightened
You will like the PD 32 light! I have several high end lights, and the PD32 is my favorite and EDC. It has a great combination of throw and spill in turbo, and low is great for finding things in the dark without disturbing others. When I got my LD22 this past summer I thought I got a dud. Fist Fenix and a dud. Then I checked to see if the head was on tight, and it turned out it came from the factory about 1/4 turn loose!! As soon as I tightened the head/ bezel- nice bright light!! Make sure yours is fight as well, and that the threads are clean.

gradio

Newly Enlightened
Has you tried to tighten the thread between the head and the body?
I have had 2 Fenix lights that didn't work until I tightened the front end. Different models, one of the LD12's and a LD22. Funny how that is on 2 Fenix lights bought new.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
It still should work loose. Loose you get Lo Med Hi SOS, and tight it's Turbo and strobe.

manhong

Newly Enlightened
Has you tried to tighten the thread between the head and the body?

I did by hand and the head was pretty tight. I didn't want to use pliers in case I need to send it back to the guy I bought it from on Ebay

LightCrazy

Enlightened
You did fine. You don't have to force the fit, just make sure it is snug. I never noticed my head being loose until I checked to make sure it was on tight. Like I said, as soon as I turned it on the last 1/4 turn by hand, the light came on.