• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Peak Eiger and 10440 question What do you use?

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Right, but considering that no 10440 actually has more than ~250-300mAh capacity, charge rate should be closer to 180mA. If you see a 10440 cell advertised or marked as 600mAh, it is an absolute lie.

Good catch, perhaps I was looking at my 14500 cells!

Momentary switch with a 10440 will be sweet.

doopaloop6

Newly Enlightened
You would think so, but I just received my 10440s tonight and I'm not sure how I feel. I'm having a hard time dialing in the lower outputs, especially starting with the light off. With the eneloops it was much easier. And now with the momentary is difficult to get anything other than full brightness unless you're very careful.

Am I the only one experiencing this? Maybe I just need more time to get used to the light.

murrydan

Newly Enlightened
Same issue here… but if I twist it on and off to full a couple of times the QTC will become more responsive to lower levels.

doopaloop6

Newly Enlightened
Mine is the opposite. If I loosen the head and shake the light, the qtc works better for a couple cycles. Then it goes back to basically going straight to full power

murrydan

Newly Enlightened
Tried your shaking method… works pretty good. Now mine jumps from 0%-30%-75%-100% (guestimations).

From what I hear everyone has issues with the QTC and Li-ions… nature of the beast?

These little boogers are finicky as hell and each has its own quirks, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Some shops test every light for low operation with 10440s. If its not working, check with your dealer.

Screwdriver

Newly Enlightened
My Oveready SS/MS/Mule sucks with 10440.....just jumps all over the place, even flashes like a camera flash. Eneloops are perfect. My Brass Ultra X is flawless with the same 10440's.....ramps smooth like butter. I tried cleaning the threads on the SS, re lubing....shaking the battery like a salt shaker, it might work for a little while, but I just finally gave up on the 10440. I do have a new narrow Hi CRI head coming from Peak....just for giggles. I still love these lights.

troutbum1971

Newly Enlightened
My Eiger ss/narrow head is ok with an ultra fire. It doesn't ramp up smoothly but can be adjusted to close to where I want it. The light runs very smooth with lithiums but because it is half the voltage it gives off half the light. I don't mind the little twitch it gets while ramping up with a 10440. The beam itself is nice with no real hot spot. It is plenty bright to check the doors at night or walk around the house. It gets low enough to read something if I have to. I do want to try those AW's everyone talks about. Why would they discontinue them if everyone seems to swear by them?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
My Oveready SS/MS/Mule sucks with 10440.....just jumps all over the place, even flashes like a camera flash. Eneloops are perfect. My Brass Ultra X is flawless with the same 10440's.....ramps smooth like butter. I tried cleaning the threads on the SS, re lubing....shaking the battery like a salt shaker, it might work for a little while, but I just finally gave up on the 10440. I do have a new narrow Hi CRI head coming from Peak....just for giggles. I still love these lights.

PM sent

I do want to try those AW's everyone talks about. Why would they discontinue them if everyone seems to swear by them?

I've been thinking over my last post and there is an additional scenario I didn't mention. Sometimes things are made for one large customer and then shared with others. It's also possible that some big 10180/280/440 buyer stopped needing them and there wasn't room just for flashlight users.

Keep in mind too that batteries can't be made in small shops the way aluminum items can. AW doesn't have his own factories and is susceptible to the larger battery market. If laptops and e cars disappeared, for example, even 18650 would be hard to find.

murrydan

Newly Enlightened
FYI: I bought some 350mAh ICR 10440s from Interstate Batteries and slapped some Nylogel on the threads and all my QTC problems went away. All 3 of my Eiger heads work as they should now.

Last edited:

KiWil

Newly Enlightened
I have had a copper Eiger with nichia for a few weeks now, and love it. About a week ago I got a few 10440 and was disappointed that I was unable to get anything other than max brightness. Back to the enloops for me.

doopaloop6

Newly Enlightened
FYI: I bought some 350mAh ICR 10440s from Interstate Batteries and slapped some Nylogel on the threads and all my QTC problems went away. All 3 of my Eiger heads work as they should now.
Really... I might have to pick some of them up. I just purchased a QTC square at the recommendation of someone on another forum, it's supposed to smooth things out. Especially if that doesn't work I work try these new batteries

mercurialpissings

Newly Enlightened
Peak "Eiger" are semi-regulated, but "Eiger (Ultra) X" version(s) are direct-drive. Neither are designed for IMR.

use the best 10440 you can find. For me, the Efest and UltraFire have been better than most of the others.

So now that we don't have AW available, I'm confused which 10440 to get. I've boiled it down to two choices: Efest IMR and Ultrafire. The RMSK site also quotes "you don't need nor is it recommended to use an IMR" and they themselves are selling Ultrafires despite some trusted members here saying to avoid anything ending in "fire".

Should I just get the Ultrafires? Or the Efest? Or no worries with both? The Ultrafires are rated at 3.6V while the Efest ones are 3.7V. Although the Ultrafires are 500mAh while Efests are only 350mAh.

I'll be using these 10440s with the Peak Eiger Copper (and sometimes the Maratac Rev3 Cu).

Latest posts