• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Peak Eiger Rebel AAA?

BarryG

Enlightened
Hi all, I had been looking over in the LED section and was pointed here.

Can some one tell me the average runtime of a #6 or #7 Eiger with a AAA Ni-Mh?:confused:

Thanks in advance,
Barry

rider

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I had been looking over in the LED section and was pointed here.

Can some one tell me the average runtime of a #6 or #7 Eiger with a AAA Ni-Mh?:confused:

I did a non-scientific test with a #3 Eiger with an XP-G emitter. You can probably just about divide the results in half to get an estimate for a #6.

I used a generic NiMH AAA cell that rated at 850mAh on a refresh cycle on a LaCrosse BC900 charger. It's a LaCrosse cell, with a marketing-department rating of 1000mAh, but even though it's barely been used, and well cared for, it's never supported more than about 850-875mAh of actual capacity since new (6 months ago). Take this into consideration.

I compared the #3 XP-G narrow to a #4 Rebel-100 narrow that's fairly similar in brightness. I used a darkened room and hallway and stood far enough away from a wall that the hotspot was diffuse and judged both wall illumination and overall room / hallway illumination compared to the other light.

The #3 ran for about 5 hours until it appeared about 75% as bright as it had at the start.

Within another hour (by the 6 hour mark), it was down to less than 25% brightness.

At this point I was going to check the cell voltage but I didn't have a meter available.

An alkaline should have almost 50% more power capacity than this NiMH and at the relatively low current demanded by a #3, should be able to be drained almost completely.

The difference in efficiency between the Rebel and XP-G was very noticeable once the cell voltage dropped- I swapped heads, and whereas the XP-G was still handily illuminating the dark hallway (even at 25% of original output), the Rebel was barely able to illuminate a small area at the end of the hall, and the overall lighting was extremely dim. The hallway is a dark grey color, which diminishes the effect of reflections.

rider

Newly Enlightened
After 11 hours, the #3 XP-G was putting out just enough light to read by, and the NiMH was at 1.06V.

Latest posts