• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Peak Eiger Rebel AAA?

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my red Rebel Eiger aluminum lug today (my first Peak!!!), I already commented in the "5mm LED Underdog" thread on it's output, I'll just focus on the construction/optic aspect on this one. My first impression was it's a lot smaller than I expected (all of those close up pics make me expect something big lol), length wise with lug included it's barely longer than my E01 and much to my suprise, slightly smaller in diameter than the popular iTP EOS. In fact, my Eiger now sports the EOS's black clip, it's a pretty tight fit, but the 2 inner smooth sections are perfect spots for this clip, it's like they were made for eachother. The lug itself with no keyring or anything in it is a good place for one who lip holds lights to lightly bite on so the light stays straight and reduces how much lip effort is needed. I might be able to find a piece of rubber or something to make it safer to bite.

Now on to the optic. Anyone who is familiar with the new Rebel Princeton Tec EOS, is familiar with it's frosted optic. It's a pretty amazing optic that is best described as "a flood thrower". Well the Eiger's optic does the same, the Eiger's hotspot being larger making it a perfect close range light and depending on the output level, perfect for medium ranges too.

Bottom line, these lights are worth every penny (as you Peakaholics already know) and I can definately see myself getting a neutral and a few more colored versions in the future.

EDIT: After doing some "intentional accidental" bumping, I've determined the Eiger with the iTP's clip slips out of pocket way too easily, so I won't be using it.

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm living on the continent, but it should be about the same concerning ordering Peaks. I got my directly from Peak, seemed to be the best (only?) solution! :)

Currently I'm patiently waiting for 3 Eiger, a ss medium level 6 and a HA-III narrow level 4. They were sent out a fortnight ago with priority, but my last order also took about a fortnight to arrive, I'm expecting the parcel each day now. Together with a gold-plated wide level 8 I should have a fine Eiger collection now, all are cool whites... :D

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Henk,

I have been enjoying my SS level 4 narrow cool. I'm interested in a comparison of the beams between it and the level 6 medium, and hope you'll post your thoughts. Are you getting the warm or cool tints?

Andrew

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Henk,

I have been enjoying my SS level 4 narrow cool. I'm interested in a comparison of the beams between it and the level 6 medium, and hope you'll post your thoughts. Are you getting the warm or cool tints?

Andrew

Hey AF- I have never seen an actual picure of the narrow optic- do you happen to have a pic? Do you have wide, medium and narrow now?
I have wide and medium. Thanks.:popcorn:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should have a fine Eiger collection now, all are cool whites...

Henk,

Andrew

I was told that the warm whites are really warm, too warm. So, I got my order switched to a cool, which are supposed to be nicer. My actual wide has a slight greenish tint if you compare it to other lights.

I can post my thoughts, but no beamshots. My preliminary thought was to step down the output when the beam gets narrower, so that the light intensity (lux readings) would stay about the same. It's difficult to imagine though. I didn't want high power outputs, preffering longer runtimes for the Eigers...

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
I was told that the warm whites are really warm, too warm. So, I got my order switched to a cool, which are supposed to be nicer. My actual wide has a slight greenish tint if you compare it to other lights.

I can post my thoughts, but no beamshots. My preliminary thought was to step down the output when the beam gets narrower, so that the light intensity (lux readings) would stay about the same. It's difficult to imagine though. I didn't want high power outputs, preffering longer runtimes for the Eigers...

I picture Henk_Lu as the King of Luxembourg......he is amassing a mighty collection of lights...didn't you just pick up a Spy 007.....what are your initial impressions of the Eiger your Majesty?:wave:

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey AF- I have never seen an actual picure of the narrow optic- do you happen to have a pic? Do you have wide, medium and narrow now?
I have wide and medium. Thanks.:popcorn:

Hi, RC. No, at the moment I only have the narrow #4. I had a wide #6 for a while, but still haven't had a medium. :(

Glad MWClint had some photos---much better than I could've managed.

BTW, MWC mentions that the medium is an optic. I had it in my head that the narrow and medium are reflectors and only the wide is an optic. Can someone please straighten me out on this?

Thanks.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picture Henk_Lu as the King of Luxembourg......he is amassing a mighty collection of lights...didn't you just pick up a Spy 007.....what are your initial impressions of the Eiger your Majesty?:wave:

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

Yeah, you're right, I'm the uncrowned luxembourgish king of flashlight geeks! :sssh:

Luxembourg is constitutionnal monarchy and we have a Grand-Duke, not a king, called Henri, which is spoken "Heng" in Luxembourgish. I'm Henk though, not Heng, only one letter difference only, but a huge difference in reality. He probably only has a Maglite 3C with the stock bulb... :sssh:

My impressions about the Eiger? i only have the wide level 8 until now, got it with a Caribbean which I asked a little lower in output. Very first impression of the 2 lights was that Peak is really different. Peak is : put battery in - tighten head - get light. My Eiger is optically very nice with its gold plating. It's made of brass I think to remember. Feels good, a little heavy, quality. Turning the head, much light comes out. Large hotspot, bright spill, it's floody light. No other AAA I know is like the Eiger wide, there won't probably be any. I don't know about medium and narrow by now.

As I already said, the tint of mine can be classified as greenish although you don't notice if you have no light to compare. As the Eiger I have is different than other brands I know, I got interested and wanted to have two more. Peak sems to be on a whole other philosophy than other brands, it begins with the plastic lens, goes over the choosable one-mode and ends with the reflectors and light emitters. My Caribbean has a somewhat weird beam, the hotspot isn't really round, it has a darker and yellowish spot on one side. Does anybody care on what is elsewhere called beam on a Peak? To me, my both lights seem to be built to light. A flashlight should do that, shouldn't it? :wave:

By now it's over two weeks that my next two Eigers are on their priority way to me and they make me very nervous. The first shipping also took two weeks, normally priority mail reaches me within 10 days... :sick:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, my two Eiger were in the mail today! :party:

I'm really positively surprised! The HA-III is very light, I took a lug body, while the ss id quite heavy and Iit's a pocket style. I just like the look of the ss, the form is the same as my Caribbean Titanium, awesom e look!

Peak uses a strange grease, I already noticed on the Titanium Caribbean where I removed it to apply Krytox 50/50. I let it on the Eiger though.

The heads are double length than the wide version, probably because of the reflector that is missig in the wide. The narrow looks like we're used to it, the medium looks strange with the diffuser lens, the beam is kinda quadratic... I bet the narrow is also is great in stronger versions, could be a tiny little thrower! :devil:

The output is exactly like imagined, the narrow on level 4 has about the brightness in the hotspot the wide has in level 8, the medium on level 6 is also right chosen. While my other AAA lights are either multi-mode or prorammable, so this is different, as I said in my last post : turn head - get light.

The tint is the same on al three, today I took no other light to compare with and they look really white then. They are built to be used and abused, just take one and switch it on. I run them on LSD cells now. Great lights that are not mainstream. If I need a small light in the house, I'll probably often get the medium level 6 stainless steel, it just seems to call me. If I'd only buy one, it would be that one. The wide is great too, no other AAA offers that beam. As for the narrow, it is the closest to other lights by the beam.

Conclusion : Great lights for a small price (HA-III) and/or a great optic (stainless steel)! :twothumbs

fyrstormer

Banned
:crackup::crackup::crackup:

Yeah, you're right, I'm the uncrowned luxembourgish king of flashlight geeks! :sssh:

Luxembourg is constitutionnal monarchy and we have a Grand-Duke, not a king, called Henri, which is spoken "Heng" in Luxembourgish. I'm Henk though, not Heng, only one letter difference only, but a huge difference in reality. He probably only has a Maglite 3C with the stock bulb... :sssh:
Yes, except his Maglite is probably carved from a solid 100-carat diamond. :D

Latest posts