• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Peak Eiger Rebel AAA?

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, they are nothing alike in reflector design. The Eiger has a smaller reflector and on my medium version it also has a diffusion screen.

You're right, it does not look anywhere near as deep as the MS reflector.

EDIT: Now that you mention it, the medium's optic and beam (at least in that one shot) totally remind me of the Princeton Tec EOS, a beam that I LOVE. I just may get the medium.

EDIT 2: From the shots RobynS posted comparing all of the different tints and beam shapes, the medium looks like it doesn't have as wide/bright of a spillbeam as the narrow are my eyes just bad? These shots also look like the EOS.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The medium is an optic, it isn't really the same thing. The reflectors look fairly deep in the pictures, could be my eyes playing tricks on me I suppose.

Last edited:

MWClint

Enlightened
The medium is an optic, it isn't really the same thing. The reflectors look fairly deep in the pictures, could be my eyes playing tricks on me I suppose.
yep,
the reflector in the narrow is fairly deep and the beam is typical of a small led flashlight with a smooth reflector.

im guessing it's called narrow because most of the light is in the hotspot.
think Fenix LD01, but without the cree ring.

to get an idea of the beam coming from a medium optic...think 5mm cluster.. like a mckinley 7 led or inova x5... one big unifom hotspot.
I've got an sp#8 cool medium coming to compare it with the sp#8 neutral narrow.
from what ive seen so far with the eigers, i think the medium is going to be a popular option as there's really nothing else like it in aaa high power led format.

Last edited:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I updated my Eiger #4 current measurements in my previous post. I must have got an incorrect reading initially. I am getting around 150 mA on both an Energizer and Eneloop (maybe 160 on the Eneloop). This is very good considering the amount of light it is putting out.

I did a ceiling bounce test with an older UK 4AA luxeon light and the Eiger was just a bit brighter! The Eiger uses just 1 AAA battery and it can run for 6 or so hours on an Energizer lithium cell. I used to think how practical the UK-4AA was for the runtime and general regulated output – now this can be almost matched by a light the fraction of the size!! I am very impressed with this little light and its efficiency. It just disappears in your pocket.

On the beam profile of the medium optic – I thought the same thing – it's like the output from a cluster of 5mm LED's. It very smooth and projects a nice flood. It is very easy on the eyes for illuminating things.

Curt R

Enlightened
Just made a Red LED Eiger #5 medium for a customer. Very nice bright red color with no beam artifacts and a smooooth transition. Color Rebels with the medium optics are great.

Curt

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast

#1--------------------------------------------#2 XLR?
1xAlk…….30.2 fc…...…6 L-------------------45.1 fc….….9 L
2xAlk…….34.7 fc…...…7 L-------------------52.1 fc…10.5 L
1xNiMH….30.0 fc….... 6 L------------------ 44.4 fc….…..9 L
2xNiMH….32.3 fc…...…6 L-------------------48.4 fc…..9.5 L
10280…...62.9 fc...12.5 L-------------------92.5 fc..18.5 L

#3--------------------------------------------#4 HP?
1xAlk….…58.5 fc…11.5 L--------------------65.9 fc…..…13 L
2xAlk….…68.7 fc…...14 L--------------------78.3 fc….15.5 L
1xNiMH.…55.9 fc…...11 L--------------------63.5 fc….12.5 L
2xNiMH….64.0 fc….…13 L--------------------73.6 fc….…15 L
10280….119.3 fc….…24 L-------------------138.3 fc…27.5 L

#5--------------------------------------------#6 UP?
1xAlk…....94.2 fc……19 L--------------------131.2 fc…...26 L
2xAlk…...120.4 fc…..24 L--------------------164.9 fc…...33 L
1xNiMH…..91.8 fc…18.5 L-------------------128.3 fc...25.5 L
2xNiMH…112.3 fc…24.5 L-------------------152.4 fc...30.5 L
10280…..193.0 fc…38.5 L-------------------255.0 fc…….51 L

#7---------------------------------------------#8 SP
1xAlk…….155.1 fc……31 L--------------------212 fc….....42 L
2xAlk…….202.0 fc..40.5 L--------------------392 fc…..78.5 L
1xNiMH….155.2 fc……31 L--------------------197 fc…..39.5 L
2xNiMH….179.8 fc……36 L--------------------359 fc…..71.8 L
10280……345.0 fc……69 L---------------------520 fc…..104 L

Run Time…..…Peak 1…...Brand "A".....Eiger…..…Brand "A"........Eiger
………….....…..….LED ……..…Nichia..….....#4……...……GS................#2
…………....…..….Ultra……...…DS....…..…Rebel…..…Premium...........Rebel
Start………...…..40 fc…..…..43 fc….....…66.5 fc…...…60.3 fc..........44.2 fc
30 Minutes..….33………......35……......…64.3……....…54.0..............43.9
1 Hour……..…..29……....…..32……......…63.8…….......51.4.............43.7
2 Hours…….....25……....…..28……......…63.4……....…46.6..............43.5
3 Hours……..….23……...…...25.….....…..63.0…....……43.3..............43.2
4 Hours……..….22 ……...…..23……......…48.2…....……38.9...............42.8
5 Hours……..….20……...…...22……......…40.6……....…34.9..............42.6
6 Hours……..….19……....……21…........…33.3……....…31.7..............34.2
7 Hours…..…….18………....…19……........28.2……....…25.2..............31.1
8 Hours…..…….17………....…13...….....…24.5……....….1.2...............28.0
9 Hours…..…….16……...……0.7…......…..18.6……...…note B.............25.3
10 Hours…......15.……………...…...........14.1...............................22.5
12 Hours…......13………………......….......11.1...............................15.4
14 Hours…......10………………..........……..5.6................................11.2
16 Hours…...……8……………......…..….…note A...............................7.8
18 hours…...……6.............................................................5.4--note C

Note A: At 3 hours 15 minutes the output was 62.9 fc. At 3 hours 20 minutes the output was 51.4 fc. At 15 hours the output was 4.8 fc. Test stopped.
Note B: At 7 Hours 28 minutes the output was 15.6 fc. At 7 hours 33 minutes the output was 3.9 fc.
Note C: At 5 Hours 35 minutes the output was 42.6 fc. At 5 hours 40 minutes the output was 35.2 fc. At 19 hours the output was 4.7fc and at 23 hours the output was 3.0 fc.

The 40 Candela 5 mm LEDs are running about 7 Lumens and the 60 Candela 5 mm LED about 9 Lumens. Because of the larger hot spot of the Eiger the 66 Candela output is closer to 13 Lumens. The 60 and 66 Candela tested flashlights will light up an object at the same distance with the same apparent brightness. In a closed room the higher 13 Lumen output will be noticeable.

More testing to come.

Curt

I'm thinking of ordering a few Eigers. Can someone please help answer some questions that I have?

• Has anyone done any runtime tests on LIon batteries with other power level heads? How much runtime would I get on a 10440 battery and a power level 8 head?

• With a lithium ion 10440 battery, how long could I use one of the high power heads without the light getting too hot? Curt mentioned it got hot quickly, but I am not sure whether that means 10 seconds or 10 minutes...

• With an alkaline or NiMH battery, which is most practical for use around the house? I'm thinking level 4 or 5 wide, but am wondering if the wide beam will diffuse the light too much?

• I know the medium is an optic and the narrow is a reflector. I saw someone say the wide was a reflector also...is that correct? From the beam shots, it seems like the medium may actually have the cleanest beam and spill...which would make sense if that is the only one with the optic.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

P.S. I did read the whole thread...I am not being lazy, but all of the comments are getting me somewhat confused. Please don't assume that I didn't read the rest of the thread. Thanks.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
The medium optic produces a nice flood beam with spill. It is not like the beam from an older Inova X1 with optic if you remember what that was like (it did not have any spill). It reminds me of a mini flouresent bulb lantern. The beam is more like a multiple 5mm LED light.

I don't have a #8 power but would guess you would not get very much runtime on a li-ion cell. Maybe around 20 minutes.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there an optic with the wide version, or is there just a reflector?

I am also interested in knowing the water resistance of these lights

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I've decided when I get the money, I'm going to get a HAIII lug, medium optic, warm tint, but can't decide if I want 6, 7 or 8 for the output level. :banghead:

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Just made a Red LED Eiger #5 medium for a customer. Very nice bright red color with no beam artifacts and a smooooth transition. Color Rebels with the medium optics are great.

Curt

my #8 Cool Wide......smooooth transition. That and the fact that I get
enough bounce back light to read my watch by and can see the entire width and depth of every room I need to traverse has me really liking this setup. Can't wait for my #8 Cool Medium to arrive to compare.:twothumbs
Have you made a #7 in any version yet?

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
I have a #7 cool medium on order and Curt told me it was the first #7 ordered. I should see it any day. I am hoping it will give decent runtime with near max brightness.

lol...lucky #7. I need to get on the ball and order a #7CW after my #8CM arrives. Let us know how you like it.

Last edited:

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol...lucky #7. I need to get on the ball and order a #7CW wide after my #8CW medium arrives. Let us know how you like it. I wonder if anyone has ordered a #3 yet?:popcorn:
what does the "CW" stand for?

i get "C" for "cool", but the "W" is not wide as in #8CW medium

when you get the wide and medium, would love to hear more about the pros and cons of each...

which is smoother? i'm a sucker for a clean smooth beam with no rings

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast

when you get the wide and medium, would love to hear more about the pros and cons of each...

I'm guessing it's for white and from what I've read, the medium has a really clean beam.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened

my bad- I corrected my post. I think the wide is very smoooooth.
Much smoooother than my Baltic SP. Expecting the same from the #8CM.:thumbsup:

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
my bad- I corrected my post. I think the wide is very smoooooth.
Much smoooother than my Baltic SP. Expecting the same from the #8CM.:thumbsup:

I love smooth beams....especially for a key ring sized light that will be mostly be used indoors and at relatively close distances

my #8 Cool Wide......smooooth transition. That and the fact that I get
enough bounce back light to read my watch by and can see the entire width and depth of every room I need to traverse has me really liking this setup. Can't wait for my #8 Cool Medium to arrive to compare.:twothumbs
Have you made a #7 in any version yet?

can't wait to hear about your comparison. I've got a few throwy AAA high powered (all Cree I believe) lights, but none have a smooth output with good sidespill. most have a hotspot with very visible cree rings...

how many eigers do you now have or have on order?

Norm

Retired Administrator
I received my SS #8 medium warm Eiger yesterday, when I opened the package I thought OK looks nice but wasn't startled by the beam (9:30AM), I played with the light off and on throughout the day.

Fortunately it's the middle of winter here so it gets dark quite early, now that it's dark I find the light is totally transformed from my original daylight impression, it has a wide even spread of light with no detectable hotspot just lots of light that covers a wide area almost like a you would see from a bare incandescent globe.

If I had to change one thing I'd have the tint a little less yellow, only noticeable when hunting those elusive white walls :) , in real use the beam is perfect and the tint is just a bit cooler than a standard 3D Maglite.

I'm running an Energizer Lithium cell and hoping to get about 1 hour runtime, going by the graph shown below, measured current draw from the L92 cell was 980mA, the cell is rated at 1.5A maximum discharge continuous.

aaagraph.jpg

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/l91.pdf

I'm very pleased with my purchase, it is replacing a Peak Baltic on my keys.
Norm

Last edited:

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
I love smooth beams....especially for a key ring sized light that will be mostly be used indoors and at relatively close distances

can't wait to hear about your comparison. I've got a few throwy AAA high powered (all Cree I believe) lights, but none have a smooth output with good sidespill. most have a hotspot with very visible cree rings...

how many eigers do you now have or have on order?

I have 1 HA #8 Cool Wide and a SS #8 Cool Medium on order. Peaks are my only Custom lights I own, but I recently picked up a couple of box store clearance Eveready Cree's that I found out about from a member of this forum Parnass (good guy) the Cree's in these Energizers can really throw- but I agree with you- I dislike the rings that are very evident indoors. Don't have that problem with my Eiger Wide. MWClint prob. has one of the largest collections of various custom lights who frequents this page so he has a lot more comparative ability than I do.

Norm- the #8 Wide has a Huge amount of spill and bounce back. Do you get a lot of bounce back from your #8 Medium?

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Norm- the #8 Wide has a Huge amount of spill and bounce back. Do you get a lot of bounce back from your #8 Medium?
It's still dark here 6.41 in the morning, I've just tried to see what it is you mean, the light is nice and floody but no bounce back all the light goes forward where it should go.
Norm