• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Peak Eiger without QTC?

gunga

Flashaholic
Hi there. No, peak implementation of qtc sucks. It can be good initially but degrades quickly. It sounds like a copper host is even worse because of the rapid oxidation. I never considered that. I don't think yours is a unique case.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
2016 Bumpasaurus.

I just ordered a 3 pack from Ebay. I searched QTC Pill. You can also search Quantum Tunneling Composite. Both of my Peaks (one is a used one I just picked up) are acting like the Pills are tired. Both are Stainless lights.

I have yet to ever take mine apart. Strange as it is, these are some of the only lights I haven't taken apart. I know you can remove the pill or replace it with foil or copper and go direct drive. I am not interested in that option. I like QTC when it works properly.

Before I dive in, anyone have tips or suggestions on how to access & change the pills?
Thank you in advance. I plan to update this thread when I get working on mine in a few days. I may do it earlier if I can find my pill bottle that has all my spare QTC pills in it. That is one of the problems when you work on lights and store everything in pill bottles. You end up with a hundred or so of them strewn through out the house and garage.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
When my QTC comes in I will try to remember to take a bunch of pics taking one apart. I might start a new thread, then others can chime in with their advice and experiences too. That way we can have a more current record, maybe, of the different versions. Photobucket was down yesterday, but its back up, so I don't know what happened to the pics in that thread. The thread is from 2012, so no telling.

Metajoshics

Newly Enlightened
Hi archimedes!

It's largely in virtue of your CPF archivism and Peak knowledge that I ended up with my single-level Eigers. And I love them. So, THANK YOU!

(Also, the lumen levels of the lights my flashlighting history can be plotted on a graph that looks nearly identical to the chart in your signature (with, of course, time replacing post count on the x-axis).)

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hi archimedes!

It's largely in virtue of your CPF archivism and Peak knowledge that I ended up with my single-level Eigers. And I love them. So, THANK YOU!

(Also, the lumen levels of the lights my flashlighting history can be plotted on a graph that looks nearly identical to the chart in your signature (with, of course, time replacing post count on the x-axis).)

Cheers :D

trojansteel

Newly Enlightened
Ok so these lights can be converted to single level. When it's a DIY operation (i.e. Foil / copper insert) what level will it be set to? Or these lights can be sent back to peak to be tuned to a particular level?

archimedes

Flashaholic
It will revert to the full output level of that particular light engine ... for stock (non-custom) lights, that would be #8 , or maximum.

No, Peak cannot change the level afterwards, as the electronics are potted.

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
Can anyone tell me the resistance of the different levels?
I want to get one that puts out somewhere between 1 and 10 lumens as a backup light. Will 0 be to dim?

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
Thanks, I had seen that after I posted.
I am working on ordering a subzero el captain and I will share output and runtimes after I get it.

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
I just got home from a road trip and my subzero was in the mailbox.
It came with a kirkland brand alkaline battery inside, like my other peaks. if you might be away make sure someone checks your mail for you as I have had these batteries leak in other flashlights before but I have had no problems with peaks.
Anyways the flashlight seems to put out about 8 lumens... more than I expected but still usable as it should still give a fairly long runtime and output will drop with the voltage.
Here it is with the 1.6 volt alkaline next to a high CRI HDS rotary on level 16. I will start runtime test soon.
yryf1kQRpKXTn5jmAwJeM61AsDlw5ESZea59Cu5ZMRQkArS_ZOUuLpOa3v3MstNwIdomYUgtazqso9fGHcbW9FIp-VgSZzlLcfXlMhzqlQWbVeH8knxT5NipeoqZ8GifXjKykJ_TFoixulaw87kOTeb17QTeChImggLDWnOrr2F5lg_8T_UD52d_ThJPNWD51oQ3LE9rU9b3KdnpCUWX5oPYfAcTJr9dQTfGqI9WD97Q3B7xBi4qr9TF_sD0cnhLM4YsnVlkwlQBovGfPEko0Xh8vODbKAnv8gU7Ss7M1H2UZ7nbeFX7LGcfA4JlG46a_e-010bJ7r6BQp-82ekCB6vFva9tSnBEQaZOKktODTABgvQrq36NkSFABEQXD2La8-Y4RYG0444hLWOLGlozPMti5pUiUSaMwi9jHtsnayVhwwt87zNEzbyXHhHOunEtY8t6W9NQF-2gaVdWmFRPVgwfTt_SSkEIcpMmQhGqAe1bxuWb-HQQBxMsLT4WWBeSCpe4NsaGsVb-xvZLSh-jjbA3hhnXdqA4s3vHhzyJQte4YuqfYLMTBNyGcQshASXaelUCTc6tMDU3fj3IfvNwoZUjbfkJU9c=w641-h428-no

Last edited: