Penlight recommendation

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
My trusty 4/7 preon is giving out. The switch is malfunctioning. Since they are no longer in business I figure I'm in the market for a new pen light.

1. Must fit in pen pocket, next to a real ink pen.
2. Budget 50$ (give or take)
3. Only need two modes, hi and lo.
4. Low mode should be 10 or less lumens
5. High mode around 100 lumens.
6. I would prefer to have no flashing modes or strobes.
7. USB rechargeable preferred, but AAA acceptable.
8. Would like a warm LED with good CRI.

Thanks in advance

3oni

Newly Enlightened
Looking at the dimensions of the Preon P2, my little Wurkkos WK02 is darned close in size. I paid $9 for mine; it's currently $8 on Amazon.

4000K, decent CRI, no strobe, 2xAAA, momentary and constant-on. It has three modes, L-M-H (and no memory, always comes on in low), which are specced at 2/70/300. I suspect those specs are for the CW emitter, but just eyeballing it the NW emitter seems similar to me.

WJA

Newly Enlightened
I have...'plenty' of 4/7 lights, and a few from Prometheus. I have to admit though, that my new Wurkkos (not a penlight) is impressive full stop; let alone for the price. I second both replies: buy a new preon, or try a Wurkkos.

Or, I could sell you my neutral-tint Preon that hasn't seen much use. DM me if you want, and I'll send deets.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
FourSevens lights are now owned/sold by Prometheus Lights/Darksucks. I believe they have a Preon penlight still available. Might be worth a look.
Best.
I did not know that. I'll definately look into that. I wonder if they sell just tail caps? I might be able to fix my preon. I think I'll contact them.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
Looking at the dimensions of the Preon P2, my little Wurkkos WK02 is darned close in size. I paid $9 for mine; it's currently $8 on Amazon.

4000K, decent CRI, no strobe, 2xAAA, momentary and constant-on. It has three modes, L-M-H (and no memory, always comes on in low), which are specced at 2/70/300. I suspect those specs are for the CW emitter, but just eyeballing it the NW emitter seems similar to me.
I am definately looking at the Wurkkos. Can't argue with the price.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
I have...'plenty' of 4/7 lights, and a few from Prometheus. I have to admit though, that my new Wurkkos (not a penlight) is impressive full stop; let alone for the price. I second both replies: buy a new preon, or try a Wurkkos.

Or, I could sell you my neutral-tint Preon that hasn't seen much use. DM me if you want, and I'll send deets.
PM sent

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lumintop IYP family is worth looking into. I prefer the IYP365, but it is a two AA light and you seem to prefer AAA size. I think though that you will be better served by the ISP365 due to its greater capacity and therefore longer run time,
Another option would be the Nitecore MT06. a two AAA penlight. Unfortunately, it has been discontinued, but you can probably still find them available. A variant, the MT06MD, is a high CRI variant aimed at the medical market. It is certified for use as a pupil diameter/eye exam light. The only drawback to using it as a general-purpose light is that it has a pupil diameter chart along one side.
The Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 is another fine light that is slightly larger than a penlight, but still shirt pocket capable. It comes with a nice clip, but also has a magnetic tail cap available. If it is ordered in a kit with both tail caps, Lumintop also includes a nice diffuser for use as an area light.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
The Lumintop IYP family is worth looking into. I prefer the IYP365, but it is a two AA light and you seem to prefer AAA size. I think though that you will be better served by the ISP365 due to its greater capacity and therefore longer run time,
Another option would be the Nitecore MT06. a two AAA penlight. Unfortunately, it has been discontinued, but you can probably still find them available. A variant, the MT06MD, is a high CRI variant aimed at the medical market. It is certified for use as a pupil diameter/eye exam light. The only drawback to using it as a general-purpose light is that it has a pupil diameter chart along one side.
The Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 is another fine light that is slightly larger than a penlight, but still shirt pocket capable. It comes with a nice clip, but also has a magnetic tail cap available. If it is ordered in a kit with both tail caps, Lumintop also includes a nice diffuser for use as an area light.

I agree I would get better performance with the AA format. But I need it to fit in the pen pocket of my uniform next to a regular ink pen. AA is just too fat for that. If I need more power I'll just reach into my flight bag for my 18650 flashlight.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
Just an update, I received my Wurkkos two days ago. Nice light, I think I am going to enjoy using it. It always come on in low, which is perfect for me. I also bought a replacement switch for my Preon from Prometheus. Funny, The switch with shipping is going to cost more than the Wurkkos. But at least I get my Preon back.