pens anyone?

fadon

Newly Enlightened
I've never heard of it and can't find much on Google. What would be the benifits of Hybrid ink? Can you reccomend one specifically? Ive found a good deal on Pilot Acroball but I'm not sure if it's a good pen.

Thanks for the Recommendation :)

I think he was referring to rollerball ink. It's pretty much like an in between of gel and ballpoint pen. If you wanna try, I'd recommend Schmidt P8126 or P8127 ink refill. Or you can just get a Retro 51 Tornado which uses that refill.

And as for Pilot Acroball, it feels more like a ballpoint pen to me, which I don't like. But that's just my preference.

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
My MC Fabrication Bolt with the clip and knurled grip shipped today and I should have it by this weekend, yay!

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
My MC Fabrication Bolt with the clip and knurled grip shipped today and I should have it by this weekend, yay!

Please show pics cannot wait to see it...Have coming from the flea bay...Fiat 500...World Rally Championship...BMW M series and Mercedes-Benz pens.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
... Or you can just get a Retro 51 Tornado which uses that refill.

For those who like a line with boldness, I can very much recommend the Retro 51 refill designated REF5P. I'm on my third one, just using tiny orings for finger grips (refill is not in an actual pen, just bare) and kept in a pocket for work. I have tried the MontBlanc bold, the Waterman Bold, the Cross bold,and numerous other refills that come with a cap (I put an oring or two, on the cap as well) and the Retro 51 lasts as long as the more expensive Mont Blanc, yet seems to die a more graceful death at the end of the ink (gets fainter). To be accurate though, I have only tried one MontBlanc. The Waterman comes in a close second. These are completely subjective opinions, No offense to any brand. Just don't waste time on no-name MontBlanc compatible refills. The two I tried failed very quickly (Second was given to me by 'Pen and Pad' in Albuquerque because of the first failure)

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received my MC Fabrications Bolt and my Grafton pens this weekend! First impressions are that I love them both!

Grafton Pen:
Beautiful pen; subtle and elegant. No one will notice it's not a standard, boring pen unless they use it and then it screams expensive. Well-made, best threads I've seen on any pen (including my Maxmadco Bolt). Great click/knock although it does have plastic internals but I don't think it will be an issue. Comes with a Grafton refill which appears to be a rebranded Pilot G2. Comes with a spacer and different spring for using Parker refills. I had to trim the stock spring to make it work with the G2 refill as it was too stiff vs. the Grafton refill. Good weight but a bit slippery even with the grip lines due to the anodizing. Very cool that the top-most grip line is the split in the barrel; really hides it well. Nearly identical in diameter to a plastic Pilot G2, a bit thicker than a Zebra F-701.

MC Fabrications Bolt:
My model has the clip and the knurled grip. The clip is decent and is easily removed to bend it one way or the other for less or more grip when clipped in a pocket. The clip retaining screw can be screwed completely flush with the clip removed which is nice if you ever decide you don't want the clip installed. Shockingly smooth action on the bolt; he must've really improved his process since he first started making them (based on early reviews I saw). Such an amazingly pleasing click/thud you get when using the bolt. I like the sound and feel much more than my Maxmadco Bolt which sounded cheap to me and was difficult to actuate since the bolt was so flush to the barrel. Excellent grip due to the aggressive knurling, I love it! A bit thicker than the Grafton or a Zebra F-701 but not much so; very comfortable in my small hands. Only thing I don't adore about the pen is the brushed finish. I love brushed steel and titanium but aluminum is so lightly colored that it looks cheap to me bare. I think I may find a shop locally that can stonewash it for me which should be easily done since all of the parts are removable.

Grafton:
5d5af791633564d9d2d5bd5145b9afd6.jpg

86c743bae9d4a2b396713118bac79143.jpg

83c3601283516426dae2c946bf0763b9.jpg

169390341854a4361fd75d7d3db72a35.jpg

Grafton vs. Pilot G2:
2ed1538c839c3c786c2c672cd1830e7b.jpg

d594293d5344498e589f1341195db948.jpg

MC Fabrications Bolt (w/ clip & knurled grip):
e7cf40543a2eeb8ff7391dfe2623f142.jpg

790a1792c51fb8248fcc8939c967c773.jpg

e8b22d0f2cfd9d3c9a42dd70829d4634.jpg

1e7543716e1dd903dd81c7b01eefdeed.jpg

Comparison:
dfb427f999d883ef2ed477a2601462b1.jpg

ee61d0691748bff04cd795d7106c3f53.jpg

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Apparently they mainly poked some holes in the original SureFire Pen III. :D

CLHC

Flashaholic
Notice that the © is two (2)words on that site and product is discontinued? Interesting.

Last edited:

RGRAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received a Cogent ti THE ONE pen.
These are very nice pens, if you can find one (takes the Montblanc refill).

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Montblanc refill?

In that case, be sure to get refills at a dedicated pen shop. M.B. has a disgusting habit of selling their Factory Seconds refiils (the ones not good enough because they leak) to the big chain stores like Staples, and others known for selling business office products. Dirty little secret that everyone in the pen industry knows. Other brands simply do not do that. That's why prices are consistent with other brands. But why M.B. refills cost significantly less at those chain stores than at dedicated pen shops.

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Montblanc refill?

In that case, be sure to get refills at a dedicated pen shop. M.B. has a disgusting habit of selling their Factory Seconds refiils (the ones not good enough because they leak) to the big chain stores like Staples, and others known for selling business office products. Dirty little secret that everyone in the pen industry knows. Other brands simply do not do that. That's why prices are consistent with other brands. But why M.B. refills cost significantly less at those chain stores than at dedicated pen shops.
I've heard good things about MB refills, how much do they run at a pen shop? Do they have more than one type?

Strintguy

Enlightened
I have been looking at the tuff writer "Mini Click" pen. Anyone have experience with this brand?

RGRAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have two Prometheus Writes pens (alm and ti) that take M. B. refills and never had any problems with the refills.
I'm very happy the way they write.

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
The pen shop near us offers the MontBlanc bold refill for about $7.50
Good LORD! $7.50 for ONE?

Is there a standard way to measure how long a refill lasts? Like linear feet of ink line or something? That seems excessively expensive, I'd never want to use it...