Personal Area (Lantern)

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it does. I have one of these: http://www.energizer.com/flashlights-lighting/lantern-area/Pages/led-fusion-folding-lantern.aspx. The light is very even, except if you happen to be looking at the side of the acrylic panel, then it is rather bright! I'm tempted to put black electrical tape over the edges.

Avoid sticking something directly to the acrylic - Part of the reason it works so well is the refraction inside the panel. Make your edge-cover not quite touch it, or you will find it might dim quite a bit. In the case of tape, the adhesive would optically couple the edge of the panel with the black vinyl tape, so very little light would return to be useful.

crazyk4952

Newly Enlightened
How much do you like that lantern?
It seems that it diffuses nicely, and I agree with the others, that a lantern with a bright hot spot is annoying.

I actually like it quite a bit. The light is very soft and even, although I do wish that I could dim in a little more. The fact that it uses AA batteries is a huge plus. I've got tons of Eneloops and a Maha 8-bay charger that works well. Even after sitting for a while, I know that they will still work just fine.

I have not been camping lately, and I've not had a power outage for a while, so I haven't actually had the opportunity to use it (outside of just testing it). But my 2 year old sure loves carrying it around the house shining light everywhere!

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, with all these diffusion requests, I acknowledge that it is something that definitely cannot be be ignored. We are in talks with our factory to produce some different lenses using the best material suited for the job. We can fashion some diffused lenses in our lab, but nothing beats a good pull from the mold.

In the interim, we will try experimenting with different diffusion techniques and I will try and get some pictures up on here for your opinions :)

While I think diffusion is universally a good idea, don't forget that there ARE tradeoffs, and we are lighting enthusiasts, not a large market share of your target market.

Poppy

Flashaholic
While I think diffusion is universally a good idea, don't forget that there ARE tradeoffs, and we are lighting enthusiasts, not a large market share of your target market.

Actually my friend, @ $129 plus shipping, I have to wonder, who, is his target market?

Those of us who would appreciate an 18650 lantern, obviously won't appreciate the glare of emitters staring us in the face.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ask the average global citizen whether they prefer an 18650 or a CR123A primary cell and be prepared for a blank stare.

The target market must be those in this hobby, or, those who are at least tangentially aware there is more out there
than the Maglite.

rtginc

Newly Enlightened
Any news on the diffuser/shade?

Hi Phaserburn!

We have a design down on paper, but we have yet to fabricate it and field test it. We have determined that placing a diffuser close to the LED's is not going to work out very well.. (we have even seen some designs that have tried to do this and not had it work out so well - see the blackfire clamplight backpack lantern).

What we're trying to do is produce a lightweight shade / diffuser made of something like high density polyethylene that will remain rigid when placed into a shade formation. The shade / diffuser will lay flat for transport, and then be "wrapped" into a shallow cone and locked into place using the top 1/4-20 threaded insert. One side of the shade might have a reflective coating to cast light downwards as well.

The basic premise has been tested, but we have to refine the design and then see if it is even acceptable.

rtginc

Newly Enlightened
Ask the average global citizen whether they prefer an 18650 or a CR123A primary cell and be prepared for a blank stare.

The target market must be those in this hobby, or, those who are at least tangentially aware there is more out there
than the Maglite.

Hi LEDAdd1ct, this reply is for both you and Poppy:

Well, what we're trying to do is popularize the 18650 as well. In fact, we're working with overseas distributors of the 18650B as well as Soshine to bundle a battery and charger in a "starter kit". Truth be told, we have been marketing this lantern to the backpacking community, as well as general consumer gear sites.

I do understand that $130 is a steep price to ask, but when compared with almost any consumer lantern, the features can't be beat.

However, we do listen to what people have to say. In certain areas (such as price), we don't have a whole lot of wiggle room. However, almost everyone has mentioned how bright the bright LED's are (at full brightness) and because of that we are trying to do something.

We are also working on color.. because that is another area in which we have received criticism.

rtginc

Newly Enlightened
Are you working on tint/CCT, CRI, or both?

Whoops, sorry for the late reply. By color, I had meant the color of the device itself, although we are working on creating a red lens that can be swapped out. So far, our most requested color is black, but we are thinking of mocking up a few painted prototypes just to show off what is capable with the original white.

rtginc

Newly Enlightened
Any pics of the new diffuser in action yet??

Hi Phaserburn,

I have an action shot of one of our prototype mock ups, but I can't speak to how close we are to a solution yet.

The idea for this particular setup was to have a slip-on shade / diffuser. The shade portion would for an approximate 30 degree angle, casting light directly down. The opacity of the plastic (we were intending on using polyethylene) is also up for debate, as any sort of translucency will drastically cut down on the light output.

The picture is using plain paper, which actually looks alright. This particular iteration is a bit too small imho, but size is relative :) For reference, the length of one of the flats is approximately 0.8"

diffshade.jpg

Our main ideas that we want to maintain are:
1 - portability: easy to pack, flat or rolled up
2 - easy to secure: through either a slip on mechanism, or using the d-ring
3 - easy to assemble: through velcro or an interlocking mechanism

rtginc

Newly Enlightened
Here are some more shots of a larger version. The idea is that you would be able to fold the diffuser / shade up into the size of single panel. It would easily fit in your wallet / pocket / whatever.

diffshade2.jpg

Notice the lack of a dark spot. This is due to the 30 degree angle of the panels casting the light downward. It's the same principal that many overhead lights use.

no spot.jpg

Here's a more practical shot with some known lanterns:

lanterns.jpg

And for those interested, I'm using one of those groovy Manfrotto 3-section articulated arms to suspend the R-PAL in all of these shots. The R-PAL mounts directly on to it.. I might have to start lugging this thing around because it's super useful.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the little lantern just left of the Streamlight Seige-- the one that looks like it has little rocket boosters on it? I used to have one of those yellow micro lanterns. Pretty nice for what they are.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe it's a coleman micropacker, an older one. Will there be a more rugged diffuser option available? I don't care if it cuts some output. I was looking for more of an integrated plastic diffuser sort of thing. I'd use diffusion film, but I don't think it would be enough for glare reduction. Or would it?

rtginc

Newly Enlightened
What is the little lantern just left of the Streamlight Seige-- the one that looks like it has little rocket boosters on it? I used to have one of those yellow micro lanterns. Pretty nice for what they are.

Hi Martinaee, that lantern is the CREE 40426 / Favourlight LTC-1613AA-W.
There is a comparison video of it here on our YouTube channel: http://youtu.be/G17pFV5VNNw

It is actually one of the only other lanterns to use a warmer color temperature, and advertises it as such.

The yellow lantern is a Coleman Micropacker, which we also have a video of (along with another lantern) here: http://youtu.be/yqQto-3tuzo

Coincidentally, the far left lantern (HIGH TECH LED MINI LANTERN) and the far right lantern (PACK-AWAY PUCK LIGHT 250) are also Coleman lanterns. The high tech led mini lantern is actually a bit shorter and around the same size as the Micropacker, and is quite a bit more versatile as well. The pack-away puck light uses the same type of battery as the R-PAL, but the battery is not meant to be switched in and out, and also has a built in charging system.

There will be a video of both lanterns in the upcoming week for the curious.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Lanterns IMO typically stink because of glare. Conventional LED lanterns, point the LEDs up or down to a reflector, then the reflected light is glaring at the point of impact, so they then typically use some additional diffusing method. Even at that, the relatively small surface area is intensely bright (compared to the surrounding area) and there is still glare. It seems to me, that the more you can spread out the intense area of light, the less glare.

With THIS light, the LEDs are pointed directly out of the side, rather than up and down. So by nature, it loses the diffusion of the reflector that "conventional" lanterns have, it then has to rely solely upon whatever diffusion method they choose to deploy. Again... the larger the better.

THIS lantern, is somewhat similar to a group of four flashlights shining out in four directions. I wonder if there is an optical method of diffusing the light. I have a small zoomie light, that I can not look directly into the focused beam, but I can, when it is zoomed all the way out to flood. I don't know the light qualities of a surface mounted LED, I know that without a lens it is already floody, but can it be made more so?

rtginc

Newly Enlightened
I believe it's a coleman micropacker, an older one. Will there be a more rugged diffuser option available? I don't care if it cuts some output. I was looking for more of an integrated plastic diffuser sort of thing. I'd use diffusion film, but I don't think it would be enough for glare reduction. Or would it?

Hi Phaserburn,

We've actually fabricated some translucent lenses, but the effect is not that great. Other companies have tried it with relative success: there is a lantern out there called the Clamplight Backpack by Blackfire. I am not sure if they make it still (I can't find it on their website).. but it is still on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LH3K5PY/?tag=cpf0b6-20

I actually found it while looking for Micropackers at Sports Chalet.

The construction of the lantern is super similar to the R-PAL. It has a central battery cavity with LEDs surrounding it. Blackfire decided to go with a frosted diffuser, with what looks like an internal reflector (you can see vertical ribs), but there are still hot spots.

I've attempted to capture the effect as best I can on video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xujs1cE69ps#t=580

With our translucent lenses, the R-PAL looks almost exactly the same.

Any sort of diffusion will definitely help out with glare, but the hot spots will still be there at the brighter settings. I don't have any of the frosted lenses with me, but the next time I get a hold of one, I will definitely take some shots of it in action.

In terms of durability / ruggedness, our plan was to fabricate the diffuser so that it is flexible and hard enough to take abuse, but not something that you could hammer a tent stake with. Kind of like a silicon trivet. The things are super durable, but otherwise useless for being anything but a trivet.

Our diffuser would be an attachment that serves merely as a diffuser / shade, and can be stowed away when not in use. The paper mock ups were just to test the patterns for fabrication -the fact that the paper was somewhat effective (I guess they do make paper lanterns right :)) was only an amusing result that actually provided some useful results.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to see the pic of the frosted lens in action. If the leds are operating at full power and putting out "only" 75 lumens/ea, then a frosted lens may very well be enough to be effective.