Petzl NAO - high-tech headlamp review.

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
I think we are all over complicating this. The bottom line is if they wanted to, Petzl could have put the circuit board in the battery case and have the battery pop in and out like with their Tikka series.

They have just the 18650 Petzl battery with circuit board listed as an accessory, but when I contacted Perzl they told me via email they currently do no and have no plans in the near future to sell just that part. Why not sell just the battery? It's frustrating as an owner of this thing, I probably wouldn't care if I didn't own it, but I thought I would be able to buy spare batteries separately due to it being listed as an accessory with a part number. Now they tell me it's not available.

So I ended up cutting and hacking it up anyway so I can use my own battery adding another $17 to the Nao price just to make it better. (3400 mAh vs 2300 mAh is better).

Don't get me wrong. I love the Nao in its functionality. I just have a complaint with how they designed their proprietary battery pack for no other obvious reason other than profit.

As it stands now if I want to carry 2 spare batteries (without modifying) I would have to spend $100 and carry 2 whole packs instead of just 2 18650s. It's really my only gripe. Other than that the Nao is great.

Last edited:

TSellers

Newly Enlightened
When reading through the pros and cons listed above I couldn't help but wonder how relevant any of this discussion may be in 6 months or so. So now we are seeing a 1000 lumen flashlight that you can choose your tint, uses the latest emitters, drivers, non proprietary 18650 batteries and sells for $60.00. It is programmable via Bluetooth, and a free iPhone or Android app, so I have to wonder how long before a series of headlamps follow that offer the same or even better features such as remote control or voice control. I still have some Petzl's that took incandescent bulbs in my drawer, and I fear that in a matter of months from now, the NAO will be about as contemporary as my Petzl's, and very soon you'll see them getting liquidated at bargain basement prices because no-one will really want them.

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
True about the part lights with feature overload is everywhere. But technology that is rock solid and reliable tend to move slowly. I have tons of 1000+ lumen Chinese made cheap lights like Eagletac, Nitecore, Fenix etc with a gazillion modes but when I NEED the light to work I still always take Surefire handhelds and Petzl headlamps. The other lights I have are neat to EDC or play around with. When I see a hardcore caver or an caving expedition, I see Petzl 9 times out of 10. And I consider myself a pretty hardcore climber/mountaineer. Kinda like we see SF lights mounted on our soldiers guns, not UltraFire with 7 modes.

I wouldn't worry about the Nao getting outdated soon, its already been 10 months since its been released last year. Although I am close to getting their Ultra Rush Belt. I wish the battery was cross compatible. But it's not. Ugh. Lol.

Last edited:

TSellers

Newly Enlightened
Not sure why you'd want to pay about $25.00 USD for a good battery with a 50 cent connector on it, when you could get the same battery elsewhere for about $9.00?

I have tons of 1000+ lumen Chinese made cheap lights like Eagletac, Nitecore, Fenix

Wow, you have an amazing collection of lights, would be great to see a picture of them all. I guess it makes my cheap Chinese and DIY lights, drivers and emitters, look pretty pedestrian by comparison.

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I came across with this: http://store.enerdan.de/gb/li-ion-cells/enerpower-3100-fur-tomtom-gps.html I really have no idea if it would be a direct replacement or not. At least the plug looks the same.
How could we know for sure?
Looking at the pictures in the first page of this thread, the connector seems to be at least half as wide as an 18650.
Looking the the pictures of the linked Tomtom cell, the connector seems to be about 1/3 of the width of an 18650, and it doesn't seem like optical effects (poor angles, etc) could account for that if the connectors are actually the same.

Ggmesquita

Newly Enlightened
Not sure why you'd want to pay about $25.00 USD for a good battery with a 50 cent connector on it, when you could get the same battery elsewhere for about $9.00?

Wow, you have an amazing collection of lights, would be great to see a picture of them all. I guess it makes my cheap Chinese and DIY lights, drivers and emitters, look pretty pedestrian by comparison.

Simply put, it's because, according to other users, if you simply buy a new cell and find a way to fit it in, the battery level indicator will not work. Plus, it is still not clear to me, in the original NAO battery, if the protection circuit stays with the battery, or in the battery holder's. So a direct replacement that works would be nice since Petzl is not selling just the battery.

Regarding the connector, guess uk_caver is right. Looking closely it does seem different. Still, if the electronics does work (including charle level indicator) I would still consider ir (changing only the connector).

I've also bought the 100K ohm thermistor suggested earlier and I will definately try to mod mine so it will accept any 18650.
Can anyone please tell me if on the original setup the battery protection circuit stays with the battery, or in the battery holder's?

Hey, uk_caver and Szemhazai, what do you guys have to say about this? Are you using protected or unprotected batteries after the mod?

Thanks guys!
Gg

TSellers

Newly Enlightened
That connector is a Molex 5264-3P and is available on eBay for about $3.00 or less. The charge indicator needs to recognize that you are using a rechargeable battery rather than the ALkaline option, so you'd need to add a NTC Thermistor to the Batteries PCB, or may be easier to buy an unprotected 18650 battery, your own PCB, and add the thermistor and Molex connector. Personally, I'd forget about the charge indicator and always leave home with a fresh charge and a couple of spares in my pack. If the charge indicator was that critical then I'd go with another choice of headlamp.

Ggmesquita

Newly Enlightened
Tsellers, thank you for your input. as I said, I will perform this mod and building my own battery (with a 3400 cell) is what I am aiming for. That Enerpower battery was posted just for curiosity's sake.
I would like to be able to keep the charge level indicator. Just because I think it is a nice feature.
Now I think I know where the thermistor is to be added (Szemhazai actualy put it on the pack's PCB).

Szemhazai

Enlightened
Actually there are two protection circuits :devil:. One is on the cell and the second one is on the PCB inside the battery holder - so you don't need to put the extra PCB on the cell.

Ggmesquita

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, that is great news! Thanks Szemhazai.
I will definitely use an unprotected cell to save some space.
The only thing I am having trouble with now is finding some store that will ship that quality 18650 holder from Keystone you used to Brazil for a fair price. Digikey will charge 40 USD :eek:
Do you have any suggestion? Do you know of any other good quality one that will fit?

Thanks a lot!
Gg

GulfCoastToad

Newly Enlightened
This headlamp looks amazing. I am wanting something for hunting and blood tracking, and it would be an understatement to say it'd be useful to have the light vary brightnesses and focus levels depending upon where it's pointed. This is a CONSTANT issue during our outings. Guess I'll start a new piggy bank called NAO.

TSellers

Newly Enlightened
@GulfCoastToad: I couldn't help but notice you mentioned 'blood tracking'. For that you'd best consider adding another light to the piggy bank fund, a UV light in the range of 360nm to 380nm. I've found a few of the inexpensive ones that only cost about $12.00 in the higher UV range of 395-405nm, but apparently they are not as suitable for curing resin (my need), or tracking blood (your need). If you manage to find anything that is available from offshore sellers pls update.

chanrobi

Newly Enlightened
I think we are all over complicating this. The bottom line is if they wanted to, Petzl could have put the circuit board in the battery case and have the battery pop in and out like with their Tikka series.

They have just the 18650 Petzl battery with circuit board listed as an accessory, but when I contacted Perzl they told me via email they currently do no and have no plans in the near future to sell just that part. Why not sell just the battery? It's frustrating as an owner of this thing, I probably wouldn't care if I didn't own it, but I thought I would be able to buy spare batteries separately due to it being listed as an accessory with a part number. Now they tell me it's not available.

So I ended up cutting and hacking it up anyway so I can use my own battery adding another $17 to the Nao price just to make it better. (3400 mAh vs 2300 mAh is better).

Don't get me wrong. I love the Nao in its functionality. I just have a complaint with how they designed their proprietary battery pack for no other obvious reason other than profit.

As it stands now if I want to carry 2 spare batteries (without modifying) I would have to spend $100 and carry 2 whole packs instead of just 2 18650s. It's really my only gripe. Other than that the Nao is great.

Would you be so kind to share your expertise in a how-to perhaps? I would love to be able to swap in 18650's, even if I have to modify them myself. 3400 mah vs 2300 mah is very attractive. I'd rather not have to buy 2 x $50 battery pods for that...

Szemhazai

Enlightened

Ggmesquita

Newly Enlightened
Good luck with your nao hacks - but for the beginners I strongly suggest to make a spare cell instead of making the battery pack 18650 compatibile.

You said it, Szemhazai! That is a great advice. I am having so much trouble trying to fit that 18650 holder inside the pack, I'm going crazy.
I've reviwed your pictures a hundred times and I still can't believe you were able to fit the holder and the PCB in there just like that. Maybe the holder from keystone you are using is a lot thinner / shorter than the one I'm using, I don't know. From what I can see, once you put the holder in there, there is no space left whatsoever. And that is WITHOUT the PCB! :faint: The lid simply won't close.

I am having such a hard time, that I pretty much gave up. I will simply put some tabs on the new 3400mAH battery using contact weld, solder wires to it and let it RIP.
As I said earlier, I couldn't find a single store that will ship the 18650 holder form keystone to Brazil for a sane price...

Good luck guys, I'm sure this mod is worth it. I just love the NAO so much!

The next mod I'm am going to try is replacing the original cool XP-Gs for neutral XP-G2s. But I am still perfecting my reflow skills and I still don't feel safe doing it...

Low_Speed

Newly Enlightened
I just got mine today and the first thing that I noticed was that there's no carrying pouch to put this thing in. I only paid $123.00 for mine but as expensive as it is, it should come with a pouch.