Photos of inserts for Aluminum ...

wquiles

Flashaholic
I recently ordered a 5/8" solid carbide boring bar using CCMT/CCGT 32.xx inserts, so just like I did for my CNMG 43x turning/facing bar, I ordered Aluminum-specific inserts from these guys (thanks Barry!):
CCGT 32.51 AK H01, .016 nose radius inserts ...

So, since I do happen to have a camera, which I am not afraid to use, I took a few pictures of these inserts :devil:

CCGT 32.51 AK H01, .016 nose radius inserts:
DSCF8699.JPG

Here with my larger CNMG 432 inserts:
DSCF8700.JPG

DSCF8701.JPG

Close ups of the CCGT:
DSCF8702.JPG

DSCF8704.JPG

DSCF8706.JPG

Close ups of the CNMG:
DSCF8703.JPG

DSCF8705.JPG

DSCF8707.JPG

Both, side view:
DSCF8708.JPG

And here compared (on the far right) with a "standard" or generic CNMG insert:
DSCF8709.JPG

DSCF8710.JPG

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Nice pics. I have those same exact 32.51 CCGT inserts. My first one was from Korloy 32.51 CCGT-AK that I picked up at my local Travers.

I loved it so much I decided to pick up 10 more but after coming across the latheinsert site from a post by the owner on machining forum as well as talk of them by you I took a chance & ordered 10 from them. I was surprised when the inserts were dropped shipped directly from Toolmex. The box says made in Korea on it, the Korloy inserts are made in Korea too. I honestly believe they are exactly the same insert.

My plan initially was to use them from roughing after they started to become dull. However I'm still using the first tip on the Korloy, even though I use it for moderate roughing (well in the case of my mini lathe) & it has had some BUEing at times, it's still very sharp & leaves a great finish. I haven't tried it on steel though but it does work awesome on titanium too.

Korloy on the left, TMX on the right.....identical!
Img_4650.jpg

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I was surprised when the inserts were dropped shipped directly from Toolmex.
I have quite a few Bison-TMX items (boring bars, tool holders, ER-40 collet set, inserts, etc.). Some are drop shipped from TMX, some are stocked by the distributor. They have some fall promos that run through the end of the year:

http://www.toolmex.com/whats-new/special-promotions.cfm

If you have a tech question, call 800-992-4766 and they are happy to help. While you're on the phone, ask if they have a "sample pack" of three CNMG-4xx inserts, or see if one is available in CCGT32 :thumbsup:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Toolmex really are happy to help. Back when I was looking to purchase my new jaws they were very helpful & answered all my questions without hesitation, not once did they sound like I was wasting their time.

However in the end after getting a price quote I wanted to order from them but they told me they don't sell directly to the public & I had to go through one of their distributors. No problem & I ordered them through MSC (they even asked what price Toolmex quoted me & charged me that price including shipping). So how does one go about getting in on their promos. Or was my case only because they were Bison replacement parts or because I'm not a shop?

precisionworks

Flashaholic
how does one go about getting in on their promos.
Click on the link on the promo page for the items that interest you and look up an item number. Then call a Bison distributor & ask what the promo price is.

Tom Johnson at Johnson Cutting Tools is one of the nicest tooling distributors that you'll find. He runs a one man shop & primarily distributes Titan USA (which is awesome), but he can also order Bison. I just spoke with him & it sounded like he was still drinking his first cup of coffee but he said he'd be happy to order anything Bison for you. If you have some open account references (MSC, Grainger, McMaster, Enco, etc.) he can set you up for Net 30, but he is also fine with credit card payment.

Bison-TMX makes a million items, more or less, and everything I've seen or used is best quality. Every bit as good as the nicest USA or Euro tooling.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I just got off the phone with Tom Johnson & my bank account is crying :crackup:

One Bison high precision keyless chuck for the drill press that got the VFD, $109. Guaranteed to have no more than .0005" TIR.

One Bison shell mill R-8 arbor for the new face mill, $56.50. That price is $25 lower than anyone else on the web.

Two Silver & Deming reduced shank drills, $56. Titan USA brand, which I expect will be as nice as Precision Twist.

The Bison fall sale prices are really attractive.

wquiles

Flashaholic
I have to ask ... why do you have two Aloris 5C collet blocks. One collect block can be used to hold either the 5/8" or the 7/8" bar. :crackup::crackup::crackup:

You have to ask??? Isn't the photo clear enough??? It is so that I can leave those bars installed and ready to go for when I need to use them :naughty:

I mean, who wants to setup the boring bar for each use? That would be un-efficient, un-American, and just plain uncivilized :crackup:

KowShak

Enlightened
You have to ask??? Isn't the photo clear enough??? It is so that I can leave those bars installed and ready to go for when I need to use them :naughty:

I mean, who wants to setup the boring bar for each use? That would be un-efficient, un-American, and just plain uncivilized :crackup:

The short answer is "because I can" :)

wquiles

Flashaholic
The short answer is "because I can" :)

Basically just pure convenience and efficiency. I do a lot of the 1xD's so I am always looking for ways to lower the amount of time it takes me to do each one, so with these 5C holders, the two most used boring bars remain adjusted and ready for use, so it really saves time when I move from one operation to the other.

If it where not because MSC had them at almost 1/2 off, I would have never consider having two of them. I first got one of these Aloris 5C holders and after using it for a short while I noted how much stiffer it was to hold a boring bar in these compared to the "traditional" cutting tool/boring bar holders, so I went ahead and got the second one before the special was over. In fact, I will try to get a 3rd one soon as that might be a great way to do drilling using the automatic carriage power/feed, to get an even better finish.

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic

You are always looking out for me ... unfortunately my bank account is the one that suffers :shakehead

At any rate, getting a third one of the 5C holders or the drill for the BXA will have to wait, as I got a good deal on an used CNC-100 Dorian cut-style knurler, so no funds for a while ...

Of course, it comes with an 1" shank ... don't you hate it when getting tools equals a new project :eek:

wquiles

Flashaholic
Well, for once I can't blame you for this tool (there is always a first time for everything!). This time the fault lies in me listening/getting advice from Fred (PhotonFanatic) for this tool, and based on the beautiful work he has done here:
Learning to lathe things ...

precisionworks

Flashaholic
for once I can't blame you for this tool
I've looked at them, as one would be ideal for my South Bend ... but never have found a nice one at a price less than $500.

The CNC websites have quite a few people using cut knurlers. Some run the lathe around 1000-1200 rpm with .008" IPR feed, and all recommend lots of lubrication to wash away the metal fines. Your mister, with as much air pressure as possible & pointed right at the knurling wheels, should do a nice job.

Latest posts